SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Ghost Peppers in SE Texas

John 9a
5 months ago

I usually hang out in the citrus forum but recently discovered the hot pepper discussion and thought it would be fun to share my ghost pepper attempt and hopefully learn some pointers that may help me keep the pepper plants happy.

A friend in the New Orleans area gave me a ghost pepper and I just about burned my lips off with a tiny tentative taste test, sampling the oils from the knife I used to cut the pepper in half. I like hot peppers but I didn't eat the pepper. The aroma was outstanding though, a kind of citrusy, sweet smell I would never have associated with a pepper. I saved the seeds, read up on them a bit and decided to try getting them to germinate during early spring. I have since transplanted the plants into four different locations, hoping to be successful in at least one!

Here is one outdoors in a raised bed planter sharing some space with a loquat tree, strawberries, aloe, edible ginger (not sprouting up yet), and some scattered citrus seedlings. It's on the south side of the loquat tree so it gets quite a few hours of direct sun and has indirect light the rest of the day.

Overview of the planter

and a closeup of the pepper plant

I have the rest of the plants in large pots inside the outdoor shower next to the raised bed

This one has recently split into two growth stems so hopefully I'll get some blooms before long??

This one is struggling from two slug infestations. It took me a while to figure out what was eating it and I have some slug bait near it now...moldy now. Perhaps I'm overwatering the pepper since I apparently made it good habitat for slugs?

Any advice or comments are most welcome!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hartley Homebuilding and Exteriors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Loudoun County's Award Winning Custom Home Builder- Best of Houzz!