SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_528228756

Eliminate Closet Door in Small Office Closet?

HU-528228756
2 years ago

Building house presently. Have a small workspace office in back of house (not a fancy office/den/study by front door). Right behind the entry door to the office I found a space and had them frame in a 2' x 2' storage closet.

The plans show a ridiculously narrow door only 1'4" wide. Builder said it would be a custom door and agreed it was too narrow. But also suggested eliminating it and get the savings back on what would be a custom sized door.

I'm thinking it's not a bad idea. The entry door to the office will be open 99.999% of the time which completely blocks the storage closet. I generally don't like doors if they are optional (I took the door off it's hinges in master closet in current house and stuck it in storage for the next owner).

The tiny 'closet' in this case would basically become a 2 feet deep bookshelf / storage nook. And I can still store unsightly junk in there as it won't be visible to me or anyone else.

I can either have the 2 x 2 space framed open or have them put small (2"?) wing walls at the opening. I'll probably still have the header overhead framed probably to 6'8" (most doorways are 8' in hose but this is so narrow I think going that way would look to tall/skinny)

And if I have them put in wing walls - any recommended width? (maybe future person wants to remodel a door in?)

thanks,

Comments (5)