SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fl

Has anyone read "The Home Edit" book by Clea Shearer & Joanna Tepin?

joann_fl
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I was just wondering if really works and if it was work buying? I have a horrible (jmo) craft, computer, sewing room that I have no clue how to get under control. Anyone else have similar they have dealt with? I don't know where to start.

Comments (10)

• Rose Pekelnicky
    last year

You could see if you can borrow it from your library

• Fun2BHere
    last year

Read the one-star reviews on Amazon. I think they will answer your question.

• nicole___
    last year
    last modified: last year

About 6 months ago I went through my sewing room and office and got it ALL in order. My advice: buy item specific containers. I purchased a Sulky thread box. A desk organizer for the table drawer my sewing machine sits on. A cedar chest holds ALL my fabric.

• marilyn_c
    last year

I can relate to "not knowing where to start", but about work in general. After Jody died, I really let things go. I fed the animals and did a little picking up around the place. Some days I dealt better than others. Now a year later, I am so behind on everything. I feel much better, but it is hot, hard work. I am getting ready to hire someone to come here and get control of the yard....which is about 3 acres, and mow the pasture for me. I need to fertilize the hay field, but the cost of fertilizer has skyrocketed. I don't even feed that hay because my horses are old and I feed them hay better suited for them, which was expensive to begin with and out of sight, I am sure now.

But, Nicole's suggestion of organizing containers is excellent. I don't have room here like when we had an 10 room house before we moved, so I am putting away everything except the bare essentials, to sell them. I asked my daughter if she wanted anything. I had hoped she would at least wanted Grandma's old cookie jar, but she didn't grow up with it, so I am sure some cookie jar collector will love it.

joann_fl thanked marilyn_c
  • joyfulguy
    last year

While my poor memory can't remember the name of the book or the authour, there's been substantial reference in recent years to a woman who has offered advice and guidance on public media about decluttering. I think that she has some Japanese background, though I thought that her name didn't appear to indicate that.

Perhaps some of the people here may know her name or that of her book.

Perhaps a librarian might be able to offer guidance - and the book.

That would help you decide whether you wanted to buy it.

ole joyful ...

... who could well consult a librarian on the same topic

• chisue
    last year

The Fly Lady is a name I recall. A woman known for the lures she created for fly fishing gave advice on de-cluttering and cleaning. I think she said to aim small at first, with a clean kitchen sink. She advised spending 15 minutes on one small area and repeating that as time and strength allowed.

• ladypat1
    last year

I am not sure anything can be worse than teen girls bedrooms. I always went and set on the floor, and suggested we do one corner at a time. Took breaks. I still use that method for garage, basement, etc. Start in one corner. Small areas at a time. When you see a 3 foot square area clean, it is encouraging. Also did keep, donate, trash piles.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

When a serious decluttering is needed, I crank up the music and throw stuff away without giving anything too much thought. Once you've pared things down, organzing is easier. And just like in tennis, When in doubt, it's out.

• nicole___
    last year

OMG Annie...🤣 so much crapola advice ........🤣

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths