SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hkl1970

Help-- my upstairs neighbor is going to ruin our property value.

Nelly Bluth
2 years ago

I like my upstairs neighbor (it's a 2 condo building-- I own the downstairs unit and he owns the upstairs unit). He's a nice person but he has dreadful taste. The other day he invited me up to share with me some of his renovation plans. For starters he plans to rip out the hardwood floors in two rooms and put in gray linoleum (the wood floors are in perfect condition). He already gutted one bathroom and put in a shower with lightning-bolt tiles, bright blue walls and a turquoise vanity. He told me he's going to paint the living room two different shades of dark peacock green. He's contemplating getting rid of the central air and using window units instead. I suggested that when he redoes his kitchen he should install 42 inch cabinets to make the most of his ceiling height and he said that he actually wants to go with shorter cabinets bc he thinks his 36 inch cabinets are too tall. Prior to me buying my unit, he replaced all of the windows in his unit and installed a style of window that totally doesn't match the downstairs windows. It's his unit and he should be able to do what he wants, but I'm worried about when I go to sell my place. I'm afraid that if he has already sold his, his unit will be used as a comp for mine. I know that sounds so selfish and I feel bad, but I would like to get a decent return on my investment. Is this something I should worry about or can I rest easy knowing other comps in the area might work in my favor? (I've never owned a place before so all of this is new to me.)

Comments (37)