SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Susan Louise and Belle Portugaise

jacqueline9CA
2 years ago

I have a lot of pics of some of my garden which I have taken in the past 4 days - will post in another post. Meanwhile, a couple of them have stories to tell about them, so I am starting with them.

Susan Louise is a HT (repeat bloomer - mine get fairly tall - about 8 feet, but self supporting) which is said to be a seedling of Belle Portugaise (hybrid gigantica - once bloomer tall tall climber). I have a plant of BP in a pot (from a cutting which I took from my old dying plant of BP). In the past, I could not get very close to the blooms of BP, because they were 15-20 feet up in the air. Nice to be able to get close to them now, because they are in a pot (will be planted in my "new garden" soon. What I figured out is that, no matter who the other parent of Susan Louise is, the blooms of SL are very very similar to the blooms of BP. Both are very large, and sort of bi-colored. I love them. Here are pics:

Susan Louise:

Belle Portugaise:

So, if you don't have space for a huge climber, get a plant of Susan Louise, and you can enjoy these blooms, and they repeat!

Jackie

Comments (8)