SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

When should I expect to see new growth in Zone 6b for Clematis?

Lynn Nevins
2 years ago

Hi everyone. I live in Zone 6b I believe it would be, in NYC. Last year I purchased a small potted Clematis Katherina, a type of clematis that is supposedly intended for containers/small spaces. I DID get a few flowers last year, though at some point my local adorable squirrels attacked the plant a bit.

That said, I know that even after 'squirrel attacks', most of my perennials have no issues and come back every year. But with this plant, and since this is my very first Spring where I am waiting to see if/when new growth appears, I am naturally a bit concerned due to the fact that a number of my other perennials started showing new growth a few weeks ago, while my Clematis shows no signs of life at all. So I have to wonder if the squirrels did irreparable damage, or if perhaps Clematis (vs say my sedum, Jacob's Ladder and Great Blue Lobelia, all of which have new growth) simply does not sprout from the ground until a bit later? What also concerns me is that the plant is described as flowering 'in the Spring'...

Thanks for any insights!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio