SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joey_silva90

Repairing or replicating custom fridge/cabinet paneling

Joey Silva
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've bought a condo with a built-in fridge that has paneling that matches the cabinets, and I really like the finish except there's one problem: the fridge door opens the wrong way.

Fridge · More Info

The developer has proposed moving the handle to the other side to fix this and repairing the previous holes, but their repair on a sample panel is pretty noticeable. It seems to use some blueish filler that does not blend well at all.

Fridge · More Info

Fridge · More Info

Ideally I'd like the panel to be replaced, but they've said it was custom and cannot be purchased again. They have not clarified what they mean by this, but assuming the original manufacturer has completely disappeared, I'm curious what other repair or replication options there are. Does anyone know of services that can reliably replicate this kind of finish from a photo? Or does anyone have an idea on how to repair holes in the panel in a way that blends better?

I'm not sure exactly what the panels and finish are made of. Knowing this might help me research options. Googling around has led me to believe they are either particle board or MDF, with a laminate or veneer of some sort. Is there a way to know for sure, other than getting the developer to tell me? I've attached a photo of the edge of the panel in case that helps.

Fridge · More Info

Does anyone have any other ideas/options? One I had was to extract and apply/graft from the inside of the panel to the holes, but I think that'd still leave a visible outline.

Comments (4)