SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nichjo

Hoyas and Chilly Weather.

Nilo (Zone 9b)
2 years ago

Hello Everyone! I have something that's been bothering me lately concerning hoyas and chilly temperatures. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I haven't found an exact answer.

We just had a cold front move through yesterday and its going to drop down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I was wondering if anyone has experience with their hoyas at these temps? I don't know enough about botany to understand how non-freezing cool temperatures between 50 and 60 degrees could harm a plant.

However, I know I have species that come from areas that get down to those temperatures. I'm just curious about the species that people say that if they go below 60 degrees that they start failing. For instance, I have a megalaster and when I bought it the vendor told me to NEVER let it go below 60s. I have gingers that people swear if they go below 60 they will die, but only thing that happens is that they go dormant for a bit. And that's only if they are exposed to constant cold nights.

So is this misinformation or do hoyas reallllly hate the chilly weather that they will start to fail after one or two nights of 50 degree weather?

btw, most of my more expensive hoyas like clemensiorum are definitely staying in the grow tent until we are well into the 70s at night. lol I won't gamble on that.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations