SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slimoedee

Conversation: Is it a woman thing? Paranoia?

JustDoIt
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I got my booster and decided it was time to get some delayed maintenance on the car and home. In each case it seemed like people (i.e. men) were trying to screw me over.

1. The toilet innards (my name) in the tank started going bad and the water was running and I had to jiggle the handle to get it to stop. Called a plumber and he came out and stated that it would be better to get a whole new toilet installed, about $1,000, instead of him adding just new innards and having a 10 year old toilet. Since I wasn't feeling well and this did not sound quite right, I told him to just cut off the water and I would have to think about it. Well, a few months go by and I reached back out to the original plumber (they advertised that all technicians were fully vaccinated) and they stated they would get a message to him. No return call. Called another plumber who came out and fixed it for $330, including parts. Why would the original plumber make up such a story? Is it because I'm and older woman, over 60, and he didn't think I would do some research?
  2. Took car to local BMW dealer for an oil change. Quoted price was $173. My original service advisor went to lunch and introduced me to his replacement in case the car was finished before he returned. As the advisor (new guy) is completing paperwork, I happened to notice a brochure on the desk advertising 3 oil changes for only $199. When I questioned him he said "Oh, your car is not eligible as you don't have 60,000 miles." I pointed out that the small print stated that it was 60,000 miles or over 6 years old. While I did not meet the mileage criteria, less than 40K, I certainly met the age as mine is going on 10 years old. Before he had finished the paperwork, the original advisor returned and I pointed it out to him and asked if I could apply todays service as the 1 of 3. Well, with hesitation they allowed it. First, why didn't the original guy offer this? Do you think he would have offered it to a man?
  3. My garage door started acting funny. I would sometimes have to hit the button several times in order for it to go up or down. Called a service guy who came out for a flat rate of $200. Said nothing was wrong, just needed a "tune-up". Well, it started doing the same thing after a few weeks. Called same company who had thoughtfully put a company sticker on the inside of the garage door, and told them it was not working again. "Well Ms. ____, lucky for you it has only been 29 days so our service is still under warranty. " Same guy comes out and says unrepairable and it would cost about $700 for a new one to be installed. (Remember this is just a few week later and I rarely leave the house.) Asked if the original $200 would be applied against a new opener. No. Told him no thanks and that I would be leaving a review of their services online. Lowes is coming out on Friday for a cost of about $200 for opener and $120 (I believe) to install. Again, is this a woman thing?

Is everybody trying to get over on women? Older women? Or am I being paranoid? I've got somebody coming out to measure the house for new blinds, front door and some minor electrical work. I'm getting nervous.

Comments (139)