SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiewinship

Replacement vinyl windows in San Diego plus curb appeal input

We are doing a curb appeal update to the front of our 1978 split level home which has a sort of ranch style to it with a slight Eichler hint. New front door, new siding and paint, 3 new windows (one of which will be moved slightly to match the height of the other one at opposite end) and adding a courtyard. My question is about the replacement of only 3 vinyl windows that are at the street level. We are replacing because they're all retrofit and the sizing and height of them are all uneven. We're trying to create symmetry and also modernize the overall look of the place to be more of a modern coastal ranch - white siding, black exterior windows, black door with some wood accents at courtyard and gates. I'm hearing mixed things about different options for windows. As of this moment, this isn't our forever home. But then again with the way this crazy market is going, we may not ever be able to leave. If we were doing a full blown remodel, I'd likely get fiberglass windows by Andersen or a similar leader. For these however, we're comparing Milgard Trinsic, Simonton Daylight Max, and SI 5000 Simo series (I think that's the name - it's from Window World). Can anyone offer feedback on any of these? Milgard is popular here in San Diego because they're based here, but I'm hearing their service and warranty is not great. Simonton offers limited double lifetime. What questions should i be asking when considering these options? I never knew selecting windows would be so confusing and overwhelming! I appreciate any guidance of what to look for and feedback on any of these brands that you can offer. If you have any other input on the overall curb appeal update, please feel free to chime in. I'm stumped because the front and back of our house look like two totally different houses. Good news is there's not a lot of visibility into the back side of the house, so I'm not super worried about it not totally matching the front. For example, we're only doing black windows on the front of the house, not the rear (but keeping them white on the inside for consistency throughout. If you're an expert in exterior design and have input as to whether these ideas are crazy or valid, please share! I do interiors and am comfortable with that all day long. But deciding on my own house and on exterior stuff that I don't know enough about is proving to be very challenging! Thanks in advance for any kind suggestions! pic below is of existing house. Second pic is the backside of the house. 3rd pic is an inspo pic of what we're going for from the front side.

Comments (3)