SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

How does the margin work on a HELOC...?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Thinking of getting a HELOC to fund some renovations...although I have savings I could use, I don't want to deplete a large portion of them. Since my original mortgage is down to < 50% a conservative guess of the value of the house (and is a 2% loan, too), figured I would look into these.

It's all a bit 'fishy' though. I have always belonged to credit unions, and currently belong to the largest in the country, but it was funny to me that when I contacted my mortgage broker about getting a HELOC, he said he just directs people to a large credit union in Maryland, Tower. It's like traditional mortgage brokers don't see a point (or profit) in dealing with them?

So I've applied at that credit union, and my regular one. What alarms me is there doesn't seem to be truly crystal clear disclosure of terms. For example, the 'disclosure' form I have received, says nothing about whether you are allowed to pay the loan off early. Whereas the disclosure for a traditional home loan seem to say (IIRC!) that you can. It's all extremely vague compared to HUD-1 or whatever they are called these days.

Anyhow what I'm most concerned about is the 'margin'. Here is spreadsheet in the 'disclosure' one credit union supplies.

"This is a margin we have used recently". OK, but, although I'm perfectly fine with the Index being based on the changeable prime rate, I see nowhere in the disclosure a guarantee of what the margin will be. It seems like the credit union could have some unforeseen liquidity crisis in a year and suddenly say, "sorry folks, everyone's margin is now 12%". Unlikely, but it's odd to me they won't just guarantee the amount.

Can someone shed some light on this? I do see vague language that the margin can be based on my creditworthiness...but...again, that's very subjective it seems.

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions