SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindshift

Plant Damage Stll Showing Up From Last Year's Freeze

mindshift
2 years ago

Has anyone else had this happen? The Feb 2021 super freeze killed everything in pots, no matter how thick the pots were. But, everything in the ground recovered, or so I thought. I live just north of Dripping Springs, TX, and have fairly deep soil.

I had an elm that budded out early at the end of Jan 2021 due to the zone 9 winter we were having. A week later snowmageddon hit and killed it back. It did leaf out, though that was thin, and it grew like that the rest of the year. This year the tree shows no sign of budding out. It's normally the first tree to break dormancy, but my cottonwood buds are swelling, and it's usually 2 weeks later than the elm.

Two other plants are also late to show any growth: Mimosa borealis (Fragrant Mimosa) and Viburnum tinus "Spring Bouquet". The Mimosa is hardy through Oklahoma into Kansas and was still dormant. It came out and bloomed as normal, though it did put out one side shoot from the root which also bloomed. The Viburnum is an evergreen only hardy to zone 8, so it was killed back. New growth appeared and it grew well last year.

This winter of 2021-2022 was a near normal 8b with a few freezes into the teens and the rest in the 20s. Most importantly, there were no early warmups. So, I was hopeful that my elm would leaf out better this year and continue to recover. But it's not looking that way. It's possible the shrubs will recover, but the Mimosa is normally budding now as it blooms early to mid April.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!