SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_327393944

Accessorizing open floor plan

HU-327393944
2 years ago

Hello!

I been working on this project for a few months now. It’s slowly been coming together, however, I am having a hard time with the finishing touches such as pillows, rug, wall art and coffee table decor. I am leaning towards warm minimalist style. I love the simplicity of the style and the warmth that I believe the space needs. As far as dining chairs go, I am considering slipcovered potentially in a warm white color.

Comments (130)

• ffpalms
    last year

I really like that last rug everdebz posted. It would add texture, tie in with the brown chairs, and hide dog fur from that cutie I saw in a previous post. :)

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I liked it as well, just not the price. So i took the internet to find something similar in color, and this is what i found

• Related Discussions

Large Painting in Open Floor Plan Living Dining Entry Space

Q

Comments (8)
    We would need to see how it relates to those spaces to comment. In your entry space it looks nice. I am not sure why you think it needs to be lit up. It appears there is plenty of natural light in that space during the day anyway. There are plenty of art lights on the market but frankly I never understood their use. They are such a distraction.
    ...See More

Wall color recommendation for open floor plan with white oak flooring

Q

Comments (2)
    I use this color for a nice neutral often and all the way from full strngth to cutting 25% to get the shade I want. Looks awesome with brass and wood.
    ...See More

Open floor plan cased open

Q

Comments (6)
    Just don't do it like the reclaimed beam kitchen--it looks like they put the kitchen in an old closet and then removed the doors. :) But seriously, I have cased and uncased openings in my home and find that the cased ones are easier to keep clean. If there is a chance of anyone cutting the turns too close, go with cased. I currently blame my children. In the past I have had indoor-outdoor cats who left rub marks on openings.
    ...See More

Help me accessorize my family room (open to kitchen)

Q

Comments (86)
    Words fail me @Little Bird ! All that talent in those young little hands and minds. You can see by my Houzz icon that I have a weakness for ”fluffy animals”. I live with that one - a Papillon. She’d be an excellent subject for your daughter! My sister has an Amazon parrot that your other daughter would love! Her fish is simply amazing! Is their art done with chalk pastels or colored pencils? I have these prints in my laundry room that make me smile while fussing with laundry - found them in a cute store while on a road trip - sort of whimsical I thought. The already framed fox caught my attention so I had to get more prints to make an arrangement! They seem your one daughter’s style.
    ...See More
  • ffpalms
    last year

That’s a beauty! Is that an 8 x 10? It looks bigger. It has some vintage character, and LOOKS expensive.

• everdebz
    last year
  • PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Hi Hu,

The rug is by Ruggable. My daughter and I both own one of their rugs and love them. They are available in different sizes and come with an underpad that keeps them nicely in place and gives thickness underfoot. They are like a flat weave but the nice thing about them is that they are machine washable and dryable no matter the size. Here's the link: https://ruggable.com/products/damali-black-white-rug?size=5x7

As for the paint, computers aren't reliable for colours. As mentioned, I suggest you paint a cardboard and walk around the room with the sample to see how it looks in different lights in your room.

Good luck with your project, you have a lovely living room!

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

The rug is from a tool the website offers to view in your room. I haven’t purchased it yet. But i think 8x10 would be a good option. Now im worried that it’s too much beige tones going on. Im considering switching out the taupe throw pillows. For sure it needs more if the black now

Thank you for sharing the link! I will look around

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Why not just ad to the taupe pillow a black and perhaps a white with black contemporary simple print (something like 2 pillows at one end, 3 at the other):

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I like that idea! Would ir be too bland if i only add solid color pillows?? I feel like it needs some pattern or texture. I was thinking of doing 2 on each side and 3 on the middle with a smaller in the front.

I also worked on this sketch on some ideas. I think incorporating some gold would be nice.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I really like this! Where is the wall art from?

I am going to move fwd with the tan rug from my earlier posts. I absolutely love it. Now i just need to make it work with the space. Break off a lot of beige tones

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Presently on sale on Etsy. I'm in Canada and only get to see the price in CAD but from the US you'll see it's less in USD. I selected the 40 x 40 but available in other sizes.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I found it on Etsy! It’s a little pricey, but I like the style of the art. I will look around for something similar with a cheaper price point. Thank you!

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

On Amazon.com: This pair is much less expensive but unframed so you'd have to find somewhere near you o have them framed inexpensively...

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I absolutely love them! And how affordable they are. There’s just a tiny problem, the rug arrived few days ago and I set it up yesterday. Its a really busy pattern and I think for art I will have to go more neutral and not too busy. Pretty simple. See pic below and let me know your thoughts. The first was taken this morning and the last one last night to catch variations of colors. I apologize for the books on the floor, it was to help flatten the rug

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Hopefully this is more of a close up

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

The two are of a different scale so I don''t see a problem...

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

You dont feel like its too matchy matchy?

My concern is that its not looking too minimalist anymore. The beige color palette feels to me a little too empowering

• ffpalms
    last year

Here’s a different take - introduces blue, and no black, but I do like the way it references the brown chairs.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Hu, art is such a personal thing... and it's hard to tell the exact colours in the rug and the pattern.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

The rug color is like a dark beige with ivory and grey. It pulls some of the grey from the kitchen island. Unintentionally it ended up creating cohesion.

How do y’all feel about the taupe pillows? Its almost the same shade as the rug 😏 im not sure if im sold on that.

I attached a closer look of the rug below

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

• njmomma
    last year

I love what you have so far. The coffee table, accessories on the coffee table, area rug and pillows. It looks great.

Now to find the perfect art at a great price :-) Pick something you love for that space.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! Its slowly coming together. I been looking around to see what i can find for art. I am also searching for side table and table lamp. Im considering doing a floor lamp right behind the corner of the sectional

• la_la Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

your room looks wonderful! I love Anthropologie’s large paper tapestries - (just search tapestry on their website) - they are huge and unusual and a great way to fill a big wall for a good price, this one reminded me of the earlier black and white pieces you posted (its 40” x 60”)

• njmomma
    last year

Go slowly, be careful not to clutter the space.

• shadyks2
    last year

You need a plant. Or a couple.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the reference! I just checked out their page and they do have some nice prints but its a little too pricey for me. I found some affordable options on Amazon. The framing can be changed from black or natural. See below:

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I agree!! Some greenery but where exactly? Someone did point out not cluttering the space.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s something with greenery.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Hello,

I got my mirror out today and thought i see how it would look in the living area since I haven’t been able to find wall art for this space. Let me know your thoughts

• ffpalms
    last year

I rather like the introduction of curves with all the linear aspects. I’d like to see it hung and see what it reflects. In its present position it looks like a modern abstract. I like it!

• njmomma
    last year

It is reflecting the tv?

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, it does reflect the tv but at some point I plan on building a fireplace. I will still have the tv hung above the mantle but I guess it would be nicer to look at.

I agree that it needs more curves, so I thought doing a round side table or a large floor lamp to add some curves.

• ffpalms
    last year

I’ve inset an image that came up on another thread today on your room. I was struck by the similar color pallett and love the look of the art over the credenza. If you decide to move the mirror, something similar to this might look very tranquil in your dining room.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I love this! I been actually looking for a throw blanket but i don’t want to overwhelm the room with too many accessories. Which is why now I am considering the mirror since its simpler

I like my dining room as is but if i compare both areas, I feel that currently the dining room looks too simple. Which i love simple but living room has a lot more going on so i think it makes it seem not too cohesive

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Almost done…another update. I am debating what type of floor lamp and color to do in the opposite side of the faux olive tree. As you can tell now the dining room is looking pretty plain. Im currently in the search of a large wall canvas to bring some life to the room. Any ideas?

• ffpalms
    last year

The feel is very calm and it’s lovely. The only thing I think is lacking is something that makes it more personal. The art in the photo below is from a personal photograph that has been enlarged and printed on canvas. If you have a photo that would complement your interior, it could be just the thing to make the space a deeper expression of you.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

get a nice large piece of artwork for the dining area.

Or, hang the mirror over there, put the olive plant by the slider, like you had it here,

and get a large piece of art above your sofa w/a new potted plant.

maybe a neutral sisal or jute rug.

you also need some type of center piece for that table. it looks bare.

Google image, "how to style dining table"

one example w/a similar style table as yours

• ffpalms
    last year

Here are a couple of ideas for the floor lamp.

Brightech Leaf - Adjustable Pharmacy LED Floor Lamp for Reading & Crafts, Antiqu · More Info

LED Floor Lamp for Reading, Dimmable Gooseneck Standing Lamp · More Info

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

For the dining room I am looking for a canvas of a minimalist calming landscape. I’ve found one but its not large enough. So, I was considering the black and white art I had posted in earlier posts to sort incorporate some of the black in the living room area. In terms of floor lamp, black or gold?

Center piece i was thinking of buying a large dough bowl and fill it with faux moss. The chairs for sure will be getting replaced to slipcovered chairs. I just cant decide to either go with white or a warm taupe grey color

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I just ordered this for the dining room

• ffpalms
    last year

Here’s a couple ideas for your dining room art. The first one is 35x35, the second is 32x48.

If you choose a black frame for the art, I would go with black for the lamp in the living room. White slipcovered chairs would look really sharp (if the covers are washable).

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I like the second one. Maybe with a natural or champagne frame finish instead. Where is it from?

Yes, i might have them made in the same material and color as the sectional

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I found this one, i like bc it will help warm up the large wall. But it’s pricey

• ffpalms
    last year

The two I posted are both from greatbigcanvas.com. I love that pricey one!

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

The tree just came in! I am not too sure how i feel about it just yet. I had to move the table due to the tree taking a lot of space which makes the chandelier off centered now.

Also, I ordered the wall art and it should be getting here some time next week. Let me know what you think?

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s a close up of dining space with the tree

• ffpalms
    last year

The art you chose is truly lovely and serene. The off-center chandelier looks okay to my eye. I find myself wanting to see the color of your island repeated somewhere. Maybe art over the sink, or perhaps just a tea kettle.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I purchased a rug for the dining room that will tie the island.

What do you think of the plant? I feel it takes up too much space and it makes difficult to access the seat by it. Im just afraid that it might be too busy once the wall art goes up

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Hopefully this gives a visual of what i mean by being off centered from the table