SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (60)

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Moni, I am finally garnering some enthusiasm for cooking greens. I will use exactly the same ingredients that you use. Larry, it probably didn't make you want pork any less with my blathering on about how delicious certain cuts are! Too funny.

I just saw on FB that you grow your own sprouts, Moni! YES. Jennifer, do you do that, too? I will do it. Is it with a sprouts kit? Moni, do you also make kombucha, like HJ/Jennifer/Hazel does?

I'm a little nervous. . . my tomatoes haven't germinated yet. I may plant more today. If I do, I guarantee I will not keep them if the first ones show up! Have a good day.

HU-422368488 thanked Nancy RW (zone 7)
  • Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

I came back to edit, but it was too late. We could have a red clematis club. Found out Danny has one, too. So that's Lori D, Eileen, Amy, Danny and me! LOL .

HU-422368488 thanked Nancy Waggoner
  • Related Discussions

Are you quilting this weekend? March 20-22

Q

Comments (13)
    Theresa, The blocks are all together and am in the process of sewing the rows together. I only made it 6 blocks X 8 blocks but will probably put a border on it. I haven't been able to work on it for very long at a time as I've had to take a few pain pills to ease discomfort........and then would have to snooze a bit. And, have also been trying to get my hearts together...almost there....sigh. Looks like I posted that Friday was National Quilting Day when it was actually Saturday, the 21st. I guess I started early. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can. Have a good week everyone!
    ...See More

March 2021 Week 5/ April week 1

Q

Comments (71)
    Lynn, you know... I grew up C of C too. As did Rick (HU). I still attend one...and am actually employed by one. It's not accepted by other C of C really because we're not so...C of C'ish. The one I am at is very, very near where you live. (I remember you telling me your general area.) I had a similar experience growing up. Sort of. My parents and people near me were NOT so hardcore with the "we don't know the true date of Christ's birth and it is wrong to celebrate it on a date that is not in the scripture." Of course you're familiar with the whole "speak where the Bible speaks, be silent where the Bible is silent" thing they had going back then. Some still do. My family celebrated these holidays as mostly a fun, family time. However, our C of C celebrates it all now. (I could ramble on about this, but won't. SO much to say.) Rick (HU) is like you. He left that behind a long time ago. I think the difference is my family (and people near me) weren't so strict. Y'all's people were. And that will make thinking people run far away. And...to prove the point that I'm not strict C of C, I'm enjoying a glass of wine RIGHT now. And coming up with an Easter lesson for my littles tomorrow morning. Sorry. That had nothing to do with gardening. I was just checking in....but had to chime in. I'm late to post on the Saturday night, so it's doubtful Lynn will even see this before the next week's thread will be created.
    ...See More

January 2022, Week 2: When the Cows come home

Q

Comments (64)
    Jen, it's called butt first. But first I have to do this, but first I have to do that...that's what Ron says when he's wandering around the house. Larry, I thought Johnson grass gave cattle the runs. Moni, could you rent a chainsaw? ok Danny, I'm in the hospital with Covid and some major infection. Daughter has walking pneumonia. Youngest son has Covid. Keep trying. Meanwhile drink kombucha. Don't shake the bottle like Ron did. (I read good gut bacteria was good for Covid.) I really hope you don't have it. I'm feeling much better after antibiotics and steroids and fluids. But son was told to continue musinex and tylenol. Not given any thing else. So now his girlfriend is exposed. It never stops. I don't go places. Though we did go look at mattresses and one guy was strange. We thought he was having a senior moment, but that was what I was like this morning. Could not think. Wonder when that was? A week ago, 2 weeks? I keep trying to figure out why I got sick and Ron didn't. He's the one that shops. anyway, bye for now.
    ...See More

End of Feb / 1st week of March 2022

Q

Comments (70)
    HJ, sure wish you all could overturn their plans. I'm thinking Bruce is going to set 4/23 as SF. In that case I think I'll wait another week to start my tomatoes! I'm feeling downright cavalier about starting them so late. Yay! I ordered color-coded plant labels this year. Kind of a waste of money when I usually use vinyl venetian blinds. But Walmart didn't have the short cheap $5 ones, and they were much more expensive online. So I splurged. 8 different colors and a Staedtler marking pen. I had 3 varieties of peppers that didn't germinate. Wacky and one of them was Ashe County--so am going to try it again. I'm sitting on the deck potting up peppers at the moment. These Numex Centennial ones germinated so successfully I'll have extras if anyone wants one. https://victorygardeners.com/product/numex-centennial-pepper/ Know exactly what you mean about the "end-of-winter" look, HJ. And I haven't touched any of the plant/flower beds, "leaving the leaves," ya know. Not planning to touch it for another few weeks. UGLY beiges and browns. Reminds me of driving from MN to WY several years ago, in March. There wasn't any snow on the ground. I said it was just one big brown blob, all the way across South Dakota, even the cows were all brown. Well, back to transplanting.
    ...See More
  • hazelinok
    2 years ago

Nancy, I haven't done sprouts this year so far. I keep forgetting to start them. My brain is so distracted right now. I have the lids that fit on wide mouth mason jars. They work pretty well. I do enjoy a variety of different sprouts on sandwiches and salads. Maybe I'll get it going again this week.

I have kombucha almost ready to bottle up. I'm waiting until Ethan gets back from Oregon because he wants to make a certain flavor, which means adding some fruit for a 2 or 3 day second ferment. He's never made it and wants for me to show him.

It's beautiful out there. I have butternut risotto in the oven. Once I pull it out, I'm going to take Josi for a walk before eating.

I didn't do much gardening today. Visited a friend in north OKC. I did pull out the cabbage from the hoop house to get some wind (although it's not windy now) hardening off.

I was going to plant the broccoli in the hoop house today, but the risotto was more time consuming that I factored in....and I'm walking around in a fog right now anyways. I should run out and take a couple of pics. Just realized it Monday and I should post a couple of pics on FB.

HU-422368488 thanked hazelinok
  • jlhart76
    2 years ago

Our taxes were done last week. With all the expenses for getting this place set for the dogs,I felt more comfortable having an accountant do them this year. Wouldn't you know it, this year we owe money!

A couple peas have sprouted, but the rest look to be duds so I planted more. I threw out some clover, old seed so mainly just wanted it for composting in. Looks like quite a bit sprouted. I'll let it grow until time to plant that area & then turn it under. And I have seedlings popping up. Mow to figure out if they're things I actually planted or just random weeds.

HU-422368488 thanked jlhart76
  • OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Nancy I eat what I grow, I drink what I brew... LOL, yup, I make Kombucha. I can bring you a starter scoby to the spring fling. :)

AND, if I don't eat my bread fast enough I make croutons too. :)

Moni

HU-422368488 thanked OklaMoni
  • AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

My early girl tomatoes sprouted. I need to go in there and see what needs water.

I cooked an Asian green, misome or yokatta-na a few years ago with ginger, turmeric, garlic, probably onions, sauteed and then I poured coconut milk on it. It was very good. I, personally, like my heavier greens, like kale and collards cooked in chicken broth. But Ron likes them cooked in ham broth with a hamhock.

Houzz won't l me scroll up to see what else I wanted to comment on.

HU-422368488 thanked AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
  • AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

I have grown sprouts. I tell myself I'm going to get in the habit of it, but Ron is cooking since he retired. Sprouts would go well in a smoothie, Nancy. They're supposed to be super nutritious.

I want to know how much kombucha is in a batch. I just don't drink enough, I'm afraid, to make it worth while. Ron MIGHT drink it, but he mostly drinks water. I drink tea in the morning and water the rest of the day.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

I make a gallon week. I mean, I usually like the way it tastes in about 7 days. Then I bottle it, put it in the fridge and start over. In the summer, usually sooner, in the winter often 8 or 9 days. Temperature makes a difference.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

Thank you, Moni! I'll find out more ins and outs from you all at SF. We've been so busy today--and now running to town. Later!

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I went in to check my light shelf, I have about 20 early girls, and over 80 others that need to be up-potted. Madge and I say that we don't need but 12 plants each year, we never end up starting that many, she tells me every year "don't plant so much stuff". I did not do well in school, I just have a hard time knowing when I get to 12, and I hate to kill any of my babies, but don't mind adopting them out, I have already adopted 1 or 2 dozen tomatoes, all together I think I sent a 72 count flat away.

My peppers are starting to come up, I think I an running late on the peppers, but that is not uncommon for me.

My neighbor and I planted a pretty nice potato patch yesterday evening, but I only did the tilling, neighbor and his grand daughters did the rest.

We got some rain last night, but the sun is shinning now, and 62 degrees.

hwy20gardener, I called Sharum's, and they don't have onions. I have to go get a root canal tomorrow, I will try to find another bundle or two of onions while in town.

HU-422368488 thanked slowpoke_gardener
  • Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

I just started my tomatoes, Larry--and am tickled I waited. Peppers were started 2-3 weeks ago.

Seed sprouting folks, did you buy seed sprouting kits? Jars? I'm excited to do this.

Oh wow. A fellow Wagoner gardener came out today to bring me eggs. How many of you eat duck eggs? He brought a few for me to try. What a great new acquaintance. He knows SO much--so exciting to meet knowledgeable new gardening friends! And I'm excited that we'll be getting regular eggs from him as well as duck eggs at times.

I am sort of jumping the gun moving green things outside, but they needed to get out of their flats. And since they'll be on the deck, I'm sure they'll be fine. I wouldn't normally have started spinach and lettuces indoors, but didn't want to clean up mineral tubs while the temps were fluctuating so much. . . you know, "leave the leaves."

Well, the tomatoes were kind of pokey germinating, as well as the herbs and extra peppers, but everything's just now beginning to pop up. Yay. Except the carrots and beets outside. I was worried about beet and carrot seeds being old so ordered more--but haven't gotten them. I need them NOW! lol Ha. I had forgotten who I ordered them from. Just now got a note from SESE saying they went out yesterday! Good timing, guys. So I should have them in the next couple days.

Then, as if I didn't have enough leaves out there, we stopped by a lady's house and picked up 5 garbage bags of leaves. The reasoning behind that was they're already in bags. We just put them behind the shop and will let them break down. And I just put in two request for wood chips--one from Wagoner (I don't know if they deliver out here), and one from the electric company that services this area. Let the gardening begin!

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

It looks like I will lose all my contacts for organic matter. I use to get shredded leaves from my uncle, he got too old to shred leaves, then I got shavings from a local saw mill, the fellow got too old to cut wood, I got several loads of wood chips one year, then it seemed that the list got so long you could never get your chips. I have been using hay scraps from around the hay rings for the past several years, but have decided to not rent the pasture any more, maybe by the time I use up my stockpile I will be too old to garden. Getting old sure gets in the way of having a good time.

Do any of y'all remember hearing about people using shorts or brand to make bread and gravy back in the first or second world war? I remember hearing the old folks talk about it when I was a kid, but as I never planned on making bread or gravy, I pay no attention. I ask Madge and she cant even remember being a kid. but don't tell her I said that.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Nancy, this is similar to what I have. sprouting lids

But, I think there are better choices out there that are similar to this. Some with little legs on the lids.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Nancy, you can put sprouts in a jar and put cheese cloth or tulle over the top. You need to be able to rinse and drain a ccouple of times a day. Some say to lay the jar on it's side. I have the plastic lids that go on a Mason jar. I think it was a set of 3 with different sized holes. I also bought a fancy one with 3 trays at a 2nd hand store. It's missing a piece.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

It's windy but nice out.

I've been out doing a few chores. We have dinner plans tonight, so doing chores now.

Amy, those are the same lids I probably have. The larger holed one is only good for some of the bean sprouts. The smaller one is what I use most.

Sprouts are easy to do. It's just remembering to do it.

We have an issue with a neighbor's dog. He is mostly a good dog, I think, but he's wondering from his home and is very fascinated with my chickens. The chicken yard is fenced off, however he could get in if he tried real hard. The issue is I have some very irritating chickens who are getting out...and could be grabbed easily, including my young rooster.

I noticed the neighbors' cat sniffing of something outside of the chicken yard and saw what looks like white feathers. Went out to investigate and it is white feathers. Fae (the beautiful feathered leg Green Queen pullet) is missing some back feathers. And, all the chickens have stayed in their yard today. I wonder if something scared them. They'll forget soon enough and start jumping out again. It's just 3 or 4 of them.

We have an "issue' with all the neighbors' pets coming to visit us. Mooch for food. I don't really mind but don't want them messing with my animals. It seems like I spend an extra 10 minute every morning feeding neighbors' pets and getting treats for the donkey and horse.

So far, young James T Kirk is getting along with his dad. I haven't seen one fight yet. Jean Luc is such a good rooster. I hope Kirk will be too. So far so good. The little banty roo just goes along and gets along.

That was a lot of rambling about pets and chickens.

The broccoli is now planted in the hoop house. I'm concerned that the soil in those raised beds got too dry. There's a word for that, that I'm not remembering. Hydrosomething? I'll come back with a pic.

The cabbages are on schedule to be planted in a few days.

Hoping to be able to get a truck of compost tomorrow before the rain. We need it to top off a few beds. It takes me awhile to shovel it out of the truck. Tom helps, but it's my "thing", so don't like to depend on him to do it. Hoping the rain holds until the evening.

It's about time to up pot the tomatoes. That will possibly be a project for tomorrow. It's a messy job, but I can do that in the shop if it's raining.

Turnpike news. I emailed the OTA and asked for a timeline. They called me on Monday morning. Well, they didn't. Their hired guys did--Poe and Associates. He said that Indian Hills is Phase 1. But, they'll start at I35 and move west to I44 first. They want to be at Sooner Road within 5 years.

Kickapoo was supposed to take 10 years, but it took 4. However, I35 will be a big job especially if it's going to be the 4 leveled deal that was mentioned. I've been hearing "don't Dallas my Norman". Remember when "don't Edmond my Norman" was a thing? lol

Who knows if that guy was speaking the truth. He did speak with the confidence that it is happening, though. Many people are trying to fight it. Our neighbor is a geologist and she mentioned things like pre-dinosaurs that was found somewhere in the path....but I was confused on that because she was in the car and I was walking the dog and it was a rushed conversation. People are pulling out the rose rock (barite roses) argument too. Supposedly we're one of very few areas in the world that have those. People are trying.

And as far as moving, we'll just see what happens. I think we'll know more next year. Tom still has a few years to work, so we would need to stay close. (I need to work too) And, they're showing the northern loop now, which will probably be next. It looks to stretch up through Luther to meet with i35 near Guthrie.

And quite honestly if we were going to move, it would probably be north. For a specific reason.

We might just be here forever. We might not. Who knows, right?

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Hazel, yes, sprouts are easy. What's hard, is to actually add them to my salad. ;) LOL, I rinsed mine, had them in the sink... and didn't realize I forgot to add them to my salad till I brought my salad bowl to the sink. DUH!

Nancy here is a picture of my set up.

the ones on the left are Alfalfa, the jar on the right is just started the Fenugreek

I use the pint canning jars, except when I know, I will have company. A quart jar holds way too much for one, it was hard enough to figure out how few seeds I need. :) I eat sprouts daily. I make them from Alfalfa, Fenugreek, Radish and Broccoli. No, not all at the same time... I rotate. I add them to my evening salad meal.

I brew my Kombucha in a large pot... one gallon at the time. I then let it ferment on top of the fridge, in such a jar. That pour spout makes it easy to test some, for if it is at the point I prefer to run it off, and put it in the fridge instead of letting it get stronger.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Thanks so much, Moni! I have one more question. The online resources say don't use chlorinated water--it's the only kind of water we have and I suspect the same is true for many of you.

The only things I've planted that haven't germinated are California Wonder pepper, Beefsteak tomato, and Celery. Of course, I'll be patiently waiting. . . but Beefsteak and CA Wonder--REALLY? All the difficult-to-grow peppers have germinated. But CA Wonder? Crazy.

If my memory serves me correctly, Amy has been telling me for a couple years to get a kneeling bench for gardening. I not only ordered one for me, but one for Garry, too! SO hard not to get after the messy yard! But no, I told GDW we need to wait another week or until April 1. He was making a list of shrubs he has to take out, and will start on the ones in front--there are 2 little ones and a bigger one that have to go.

I see little tiny carrots beginning to sprout out in the beds. Woo-hoo. I'll be anxious to get the new ones in the minute they get here.

HJ, you are so much nicer than I am. I chase all critters out of our yard, unless they live here. Especially dogs. I don't want them chasing our cats, and don't want them traveling through my flower/plant beds. Your turnpike news is depressing. Blach.

I loved bread and gravy as a kid and still do. We had hot pork sandwiches a couple days ago. Kinda same thing.

The mushroom cloud! Wouldn't that be just the ticket for yet one more stupid human trick, Rick!

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Rick, if you see a Dawn post about how she decided it was time to plant according to what nature was doing, I'm looking for it. I thought I put it on Facebook but I can't find it. It's things like when the pecan leaves come out, when certain wild flowers bloom.

Moni's sprouting lids are the same as mine.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Nancy I use water straight out of the faucet. I like easy peasy. :)

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Moni, those are the lids that I have.

Nancy, can you buy water just for your sprouts? We have well water and refill 5 gallon jugs of water every week for drinking. We have one of those Primo things.

Carrots are inconsistent for me. Some years I'll have success and other years nothing.

I don't really like dogs on the property because of the reasons you mentioned. Tom contacted Otis' owner. BUT, I just saw a flippin' fox in the pasture next to us. The donkey was on it. He was a beauty, though. I guess the chickens will stay in their pen when I'm not home. Not my favorite way to raise chickens.

I don't mind visiting cats as much except when they're mean to Finbar. Smokey will chase him up a tree. I feel sorry for Smokey because he's not well cared for. In my opinion.

Someone just posted pictures of white arrows painted on Indian Hills to our east. Supposedly they are survey markers. Something about 3D surveying and storm water run off and preparing for construction. They're certainly wasting no time.

Oh, and Moni, I like your spouted kombucha jar. I've not had good luck with those. The spouts always end up leaking. I'll look into the brand you have.

• HU-422368488
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Amy , is it this one:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6051836/dawn-s-wisdom-on-seed-starting#n=1

"So, it is hard to guess when to plant some things. Instead of looking at a calendar, plotting out some sort of plan or schedule, and trying to implement it, I watch for signs from Mother Nature. For example, I can plant sweet corn once the leaves on the white oaks are the size of a squirrel's ear. (Yep, go ahead and laugh, but it almost never freezes after that....maybe once in a decade.) I watch for certain cool-season weeds to sprout or to bloom. If they are earlier than normal, I will start seeds earlier than normal. I watch for the pecan trees to flower. I observe the behavior of wild birds, insects, reptiles, amphibians and mammals. If the weather is warming up quickly and early, all of them are out and more active than normal for that specific time of the year.
    I don't think I ever have had a written schedule, but to be fair, I am a lifelong gardener and just do things by feel/by the seat of my pants/or by intuition at this point. So, my calendar or schedule is in my head and something activates it based on what I am observing in the natural world. When I was newer to gardening, I based a lot off of last frost dates, but back then I lived somewhere where the last frost date seemed fairly reliable."

Rick

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Well shoot, I have to change gardenweb to houzz to make the link work. Must have been saved before the change.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Yes Rick I think that's better than the one I found. I actuaally thought I posted the other one, but it's gone to internet limbo.

• HU-422368488
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just posted the other one over there.

Rick

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Hazel I only use the spout to try the Kombucha to see if it is ready. I don't drain the jar through it. That would take to much time.

:) I just pour it through a strainer once I took the scoby out.

Moni

• HU-422368488
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here you all go , welcome to the 40's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHkGJEiDpdw

Rick

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Oh my goodness. I got lost and wondered why nobody was posting. Lost the whole week. I have my two 9 year old grandsons spending the night in the tiny house. They are good boys but still… they are boys. I wish I had a day I could have them both here to work over gardens. I find myself needing more help this year. Glad to have found y’all : )

HU-422368488 thanked Kim Reiss
  • slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Rick, thanks for the video, it brought back good memories. But, nobody in my family looked that good in the garden, those folks had better clothes than we wore to church. In our gardens everyone was hot, sweaty, and dirty, and in worn out clothes. I don't remember anyone leading the horse, it was just, gee, haw, get up and back, and at times maybe a few 4 letter words thrown in if things were not going right. I was so happy when dad got a tractor and got rid of the horses.

I have to admit that the horses did a much better job in the garden than the tractor did, they could work in a tighter space, and still not break as many plants.

I still have not found any 1015Y onions. I have to go to Ft. Smith soon for glasses, maybe I can find some there.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Hey Kim. I was wondering about you. You've been busy. Two little boys can keep you hopping.

Larry, I think that video said Maryland. It's probably easier to garden there...compared to Oklahoma and Arkansas.

I'm about to pick up a load of compost. Big job ahead.

A quote for today:

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

(Sigmund Freud about the Irish)

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Things have changed a lot--in life and in the gardens--since the 40s, huh! Some good, some bad, some just different.

A friend is bringing me a bunch of rabbit poop next week. I am so excited--and I know it's organic.

Kim--that's very brave of you, hosting your two 9 yr olds! lol I'd have them playing cards with me. :) . I'm glad you caught up with us!

Here's an Irish blessing. . .

May your neighbors respect you,
    Trouble neglect you,
    The angels protect you,
    And heaven accept you.

• hwy20gardener
    2 years ago

Just got back from a little spring break road trip with the kids out in western OK. Figured we'd have all the peas breaking through the ground when we got back, but only saw a few. Sure is a windy day out there, so may just prep stuff and save the work for the weekend.

Slowpoke, hope you finally find some onions. Bonnie should be delivering hot & heavy to Lowe's, Ace, etc right now. I'll take a look around our area to see how things look.

HU-422368488 thanked hwy20gardener
  • slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Nancy, I dont ever remember hearing the quote you wrote, but I like it.

hwy20gardener, I found some onions this morning when we went to Ft. Smith to get my glasses. I got 2 bundles of 1015Y at Lowe's and a 6 pack of Better Boys to pot up and. and hopefully get some earlier tomatoes. I had planned on having the onions and lettuce planted by now, but I sat down in my recliner and went to sleep. The tilling I did this morning must have worn me out. It does seem that I can walk better if I have a tiller or a shopping cart to hold on to. The tiller is better than a shopping cart, it is sort of like a powered walker, I drove it over to the handicapped ramp when I left the garden, of course it was not tilling, just in forward drive.

I had better go plant something. I also bought a pack of bunching onion seed that I want to plant. I have grown bunching onions from seed before and they did well, but, I think that I planted them earlier in the year. I have a lot of different "greens" seed, I think I will plant a few short strips in the lettuce row. I think my grand daughter will enjoy that. Grand daughter likes to come over on Sun. afternoon and load up on veggies.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

HJ--looks like I had a good germination of Valerian, so I'll grow, pot up, and be happy to bring you some. Have any of you Okies grown celery? What's the secret? :)

I spent all day yesterday and today outside. . . Not really working, mostly just sitting and transplanting a bunch of stuff into my "salad garden" on the deck. Excited to see beets and carrots have germinated, but I'm going to plant more if the new seeds get here tomorrow.

And I have a good collection of cabbage so will get those transplanted--this time UNDER row covers right out of the chutes.

Peppers are growing too fast. DRAT. Tomatoes, I'm excited to report, are just an inch high. Yay! I'm sleepy but have to get dinner on. Because right now we have 6 dozen eggs, will knock a sizeable dent by making Eggs Benedict.

AND because our last two grocery pick-ups from Walmart had chickens out of stock, I ordered a 10-pack and 2 8-packs of thighs last night and when we picked groceries up this morning, we got all 26 thighs! LOL

Best, all.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

yay! I'm excited to get a valerian again.

I would like to know how to grow celery too!

Nancy, that's a lot of chicken and eggs! :D

Tom helped me top off the beds with zoo poo compost. It was fluffy and easy to shovel. Didn't smell. Seems like a great compost. The only people I know who have used it are Dale and Carrie.

I didn't stick to my plan. Actually, I forgot my plan. My plan was to only put one tomato seed in each pellet. But....I forgot that was the plan. So, now I have double what I need.

The heirlooms, cherries, Tiny Tim, tomatillos, and a couple of random things were up potted today, but the light shelf situation is going to need to be fixed before I do the others. The peppers, eggplant, and flowers aren't quite ready to be up potted. Oh, and the second round of lettuce is just sprouting.

The good thing is it is spring, so the seedlings can go to the hoop house and brought in at night. That is one of the benefits of starting seed later.

Next year, I'll remember to put one seed per pellet.

It seems like the rain has missed my area. This is what happened last year too!

Saw the fox again at twilight. I was walking out to close the chicken door. Biggest fox I've ever seen.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Rick that was quite an eye opener... the Victory Garden video.

Quite interesting how they used the fertilizer and insecticide without any protection... and to think, the plants were eaten. I don't recall my father using all that pesticide and fertilizer. But then grandpa had bunnies and chickens, and their poo was used in the garden.

Larry, you are right about the clothing... but then this was all staged for the video... and they "had to look good". :)

Not sure I like their no work no garden slogan... even if it is true. It's the way they said it, that bothers me.

A slogan look what you can harvest and eat, for a bit of work first. :)

Moni

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Kim, congrats! That is exciting! Pictures!

We did get some rain. Not sure how much because I can't seem to keep a rain gauge in working order, but it's enough that the peas, onions, potatoes, new carrot/turnip seed got a drink. And the compost got watered in.

I was awake until about 3 last night. Tom slept in his chair because he has a cold and was more comfortable in his chair. SO, I opened the bedroom window and enjoyed the air and noise of the wind. And watched House Hunters. I especially like the international ones. I did eventually have to close the window because something had our neighbors' hounds and cow dog barking--twice! I suspect that fox was prowling around their coop. Anyway, even at a distance, those dogs are loud.

Trying to decide what to do today. Since I gave our extra bed away to my friend, I need to do something with that bedroom. I found an armoire on marketplace. If it's still available and IF Tom feels good enough and IF it's light enough for one guy and one girl to move--maybe I'll go get for that room. Extra storage is always nice and I've lost the "under the bed" storage. Because there's no bed. And Ethan is still in Oregon so can't help lift heavy stuff.

Anyway...I should probably finish the up-pot of tomatoes. I found 5 extra German Johnsons. If anyone wants one of those, let me know. I picked up one from SF (I think frrom Alexis) and it makes such a tasty fruit, which prompted me to buy seed.

Amy, I was thinking about you and kombucha. Right now, I'm just drinking about a half cup a day. I sip it while I'm fixing lunch to take to work. I'm not really drinking it like a sit-down-and-enjoy beverage. Would you and Ron be able to go through a gallon every 10 to 14 days? It might be worth it for the health benefits. I let mine ferment longer than a week. The longer you let it sit, the less sweet it gets. It's just a personal preference. The SCOBY that I add with each batch, sinks to the bottom and a new one forms on top. Normally, I'll put the old one in the compost or garden and use the fresh one for the next batch.

You can also bottle it into individual bottles. I used to do that and take it with me for a treat at work. But, it's easier at this point just to drink it at home. You can also flavor the different bottles with juice, fruit, or candied ginger. All of that is more time consuming, so I keep it easy now.

Moni, how do you drink your bucha? And how much do you drink a day?

About the video. I'm sure they were dressed up for the film, like you mentioned. I didn't watch the entire thing, but will probably go back and finish it later. I have watched videos about the Victory Gardens in the past, though. The thing to remember is we really can't judge a culture by the standards of our own. (learn from them, yes) If that makes sense. Most of us here weren't around in the 40's and if we were, we were very young. My Mom was born mid 40's--the first of the Baby Boomers. From what I understand, we --the country--was trying to send as much food to the soldiers and were encouraged to grow as much as we could in our own backyards. And keep chickens too. The No Work No Garden slogan was what reached that generation of people. There were rationings of other foods too. My Mom's family had a farm and were able to grow their own food and have livestock too. I have some letters from my great uncle who was in WW2 that he wrote to his parents. He mentions in the letters that they (the soldiers) got two meals a day and one was a bowl of soup.

Now, I'm rambling.

• HU-422368488
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Famous quote from John Smith back in 1604

" He that will not work shall not eat"

https://historicjamestowne.org/history/pocahontas/john-smith/

https://encyclopediavirginia.org/entries/smith-john-bap-1580-1631/

Rick

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

Well, today is certainly not sitting-out-on-the-deck weather! Nor planting more carrots and beets weather. Drat. But tomorrow I can. and then will continue every couple weeks for a while. Interesting weather patterns. We got half an inch of rain before 9 a.m. Perfect for the new beets and carrots--and the greens I transplanted yesterday. I am thankful for the cloudy skies today, making it much easier on the transplants.

I'd love a German Johnson, Jennifer, since my Beefsteaks don't seem to be inclined to germinate. They will they will. I see one little tiny bent green stem poking up now. I must have planted the seeds too deep. I will have so many basil plants. What will I do with them all? Give them away, I guess. The latest--just came witih the carrots and beets from SESE--Eritrean basil! They said they got it from an Eritrean exchange student! How exciting--and sounds lovely.

Do you all grow lemon grass? It provides such a terrific change in the herb bed compared to the rest of the plants.

Congrats, Kim!

I'm fixing a lot of smoothies right now--but will get the juicer more and more into operation when the greens grow up. Blueberries are the order of the smoothy day.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

woo hoo, I had an 1/2 inch of rain in my gauge. :)

Hazel, I would like to try a German Johnson... just because of the name... LOL

I drink my Kombucha just to have a different drink than water. I usually pour myself a glass in the morning, and let it sit on the counter... to not be so cold. At least, for this time of the year. In the summer I enjoy it cold.

I do strain it off, once I like the flavor, and start over. I don't like/want it sweet, but I also don't like it vinegary. I honestly don't have a problem using a whole gallon during a week. When I pour it off, I use 1/2 gallon jars to hold it for refrigerating. .

Esther and I went and saw Cyrano at the movies. We would definitely recommend it.

Got my car a carwash today. :) Only the second one since I bought in December 2020... but I did wash it during a rain here and there... before it quit raining.

Ok, washing machine stopped... it's time to hang my laundry.

Later

Moni

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I checked the south garden this morning, and planted a 6 pack of lettuce I bought, also checking my onions. The onions look better than I expected, even though some of the onions looked very bad when planted, I could end up with 3 to 4 hundred, now I wish I had marked the rows so I could better judge them.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

I wonder if kombucha retains the caffeine from the tea? I've never had homemade kombucha. We buy it. While it's not cheap, I rarely drink a whole bottle. I have read to make salad dressing with it once it gets vinegary. I don't think I'll try it yet.

that's a lot of onions Larry!

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

I'll try to have plenty on hand... for SF, and bring some. ;)

Moni

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Amy, I could be counting my chickens before they hatch, but I should end up with plenty onions. My grand daughter says that she can eat an onion like an apple, I have my doubts, but In think I will have enough for her to prove it to me. I also had a 3 toot open spot, in which I planted a pack of bunching onions.

This has been a good day, we are getting ready for a house full of company, we will celebrate Madge's 83 rd. birthday tomorrow, so I am trying to drag some of my junk out or the house and make room for company to stay a few days with us. This is the first time we have had guest to stay with us at seed starting time, I will have to move a bunch of my babies outside, I may even have to sleep with them to keep them warm.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Tell Madge Happy Birthday, Larry. Have a great birthday celebration.

Those kneeling benches are a real game changer for gardening! Wow will it be nice not to have filthy knee stains on the knees. I was able to get so much more done today using the bench! I still have half the garden to weed, but have enough cleared to ge more beets and carrots in.

Garry got four bushes out of the front yard. One was horrible to get out. Also, have the rest of you noticed that the elderberries reproduce prolifically? We spotted 3 new ones growing near the 2 3-yr old ones. I'm so sleepy. . . .

Later!

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Nancy, thanks for the birthday wish. I have a kneeling bench, but I have worn mine out. I need to replace the wood in the seat/kneeling pad. I plan on replacing the wood with treated wood, and maybe placing a little extra padding. I have all the material to repair it, just need to take the time. Nancy, you may want to check on an aluminum folding stool from Harbor Freight, they are great for garden work also, and the weather is not as hard on them as it is on the kneeling bench. My stool cost about $20.00, I expect they may be a little more now.

I potted up some plants today, and managed to get plants mixed up. I just have to come up with a better system. I think I will remember what went where for ever, and by the time I turn around I dont even remember who I am.

Madge's family from Texas is here. It is so nice to see them, it has been 2 years since they were last here.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Nancy I am glad you like the kneeler.. and I knew about the elderberries.

Larry, just do it... fix that kneeler... it is so handy after. :) I had to do that to mine too.

Happy Birthday Madge!

Moni

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Happy birthday to Madge!!! I couldn’t use a kneeler if you paid me. I planted onions today. Not 1015’s. Couldn’t find those this late in the game. White ones : / we will see. Also bought and planted 3 blueberry bushes. I bought soil acidifier and I will use my black gold soil to plant them in. In my prize there is five bales of soil so I think that will fill 8 or more mineral tubs. Can’t wait till it gets here. I went ahead and put them in 2 gallon pots with pro mix for now. I may get 2 more plants Monday.

HU-422368488 thanked Kim Reiss
  • jlhart76
    2 years ago

Productive day for me, too. I cleared out the overgrown stuff around my outside water pump so I can use it for the garden. Much easier than fighting through dogs to get to the faucet in their area.

Planted the elderberry I got from Bruce at SF a few years back. It was one tiny stick then so I put it in a bucket until I decided what to do with it. Then we started talking about moving so I left it to plant at the new place. It was still small, but I have 3 or 4 little twigs instead of one.

Threw out some lettuce, cilantro, and a few other seeds. At this point I'm not sure what I have planted. I try to snap pics so I can reference back but I'm pretty sure I missed some.

And got my lawn mower tire back on track, thanks to Bruce. It went flat & popped off the rim, so I went looking for ways to fix it. Nothing worked so I posted in the local facebook group & he offered to fix it for me.

Looks like tomorrow's another nice day here, so maybe I'll get a little more done. Or the husband will be feeling up to tackling that center bed so I can start planting it.

HU-422368488 thanked jlhart76