SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

What am I gettin into - Bromeliad hospital

What should I do with this?

I received another plant from my daughter this week. She and her roommates have boyfriends who bring plants as gifts and then the girls kill them with kindness.

The Plantnet app called this an Aechmea fasciata (Lindl.) Baker. Other pictures seem to bear this out. It is in an clay pot and had soggy soil when I picked it up from her. The inner leaves were rotten and pulled out easily. Leaf edges are sawtooth and I get a rash moving the plant around. She moved it around in her apartment, but it never got direct sunlight. It did get west light through a white curtain. I'm thinking that what appears to be scorching might be from overwatering. My brief reading on the topic tells me these plants don't like wet feet. Possible good news is the plant sat in my car for a couple of low humidity days, and it might not be as waterlogged now.

First of all I'm letting it dry out. Should I trim off the 'scorched' looking parts or leave those alone?

I have it in a covered, northeast exposure out front for now. I'll bring it in for the low temp tonight of 35F but will put it back outside tomorrow as the extended forecast is for temps no lower than 45...for the rest of the year, here. Should I water only in the center cup, as I have been reading? What else do I need to know? I've been an orchid grower for 50 years, but this is the first bromeliad.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions