SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_linden1

Cooktop/counter/hood combo- so out of my league

Michelle Linden
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are building a new home. We ordered Cafe appliances and I "thought" we were good to go. Then out of the blue on Friday, we realized that our chosen gas cooktop (Cafe 36" 5 burner) doesn't go completely front to back (don't know how we missed this). Instead, it goes into an opening cutout from the countertop. The countertop (Cambria) where it will be installed is 14 feet long. Since the Cambria slabs are 10 or 11 ft long, we will need a seam. I really didn't want a seam and I know Cambria doesn't guarantee seams. We went to our appliance store and there is a "professional" model that isn't a cutout (Cafe 36" gas- 6 burner) So we were considering changing our cooktop. In discussing our options, a more experienced man informed us that the vent hood we chose would not work for the more powerful cooktop. In fact, he said our chosen vent probably wasn't even sufficient for our 1st choice in cooktops. Ugh... So I have been reading posts here for over an hour and am so confused and near tears. I would appreciate ANY help....1. Do I stick with original cooktop and deal with a seam?2. Do I get the more powerful cooktop to avoid a seam?3. Whichever cooktop I get, what size/kind of hood do I need? I read here that your hood should have 3" overlap on all sides with your cooktop size. Cafe doesn't even have one bigger than 36".

Comments (8)