FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Roses with bush beauty, fast repeat, or winter hardiness?

strawchicago z5
4 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Bush shots are hard to find. I once asked Pat Henry of Roses Unlimited what are some roses with bush beauty and constant blooming. She said: "Poseidon, Bliss Parfuma, Dark Desire, and Heaven on Earth." Too bad these don't have the strong scent that I seek, but I love my 8th-year own root Poseidon with Zepherine Drouhin in front (see below). Poseidon has bush beauty & constant blooming and winter-hardiness. Zeph. has bush beauty & once-bloomer & winter-hardiness and its heavenly scent can waft 30 feet away.

Below 10th-year-own root Evelyn has bush beauty & fast rebloom and winter hardiness. Pic. taken June 2021:

Below 10th-year own-root Carding Mill has bush beauty and constant blooming. Pic. taken at near 90 F:

Below 6th-year own-root Twilight zone has bush beauty (shiny leaves) & constant blooming and very winter hardy:

Below 11th-year own root Pat Austin has bush beauty (shiny leaves), constant blooming, and delicious mango and nectarine scent:

Below 4th-year own root Bolero has bush beauty (shiny leaves), constant blooming, but died when I moved it and put alfalfa meal in the planting hole. Got another Bolero last year.

Below 8th-year own root Munstead Wood has bush beauty (never see diseases), constant blooming, and winter hardiness, plus amazing blackberries and old rose scent:

Below 10th-year own-root Comte de Chambord has bush beauty (disease-free only with fast drainage), constant blooming, and winter hardiness.

Below 3rd-year own-root Sweet Mademoiselle has bush beauty, constant blooming, and winter hardiness (the far pink on top is Savannah). Sweet M. beats Dee-lish in rebloom.

What are your roses with bush beauty? Thank you.

Comments (52)

• seasiderooftop
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Wow @strawchicago z5 , your rose bushes are so healthy and beautiful!

I love your La Reine and your Carding Mill the most! For some reason Carding Mill never really caught my attention, but yours is in a league of its own!

And of course your Comte de Chambord is the reason I got mine! My CdC is grafted on Laxa though, I hope he won't be too lanky and will grow into a nice shrub.

Thank you for sharing Khalid's list. The more I read, the more it seems to me I should have gotten Lady Emma Hamilton instead of Crown Princess Margareta. CPM here is a nice low shrub, and has lovely foliage with that burgundy new growth too, but she just won't bloom for me, even with nutrients and full sun, and it's getting frustrating. Most of my roses have at least a few buds by now but still nothing from her. I will give her a few more months but if she still won't bloom by June I will move her pot to a shadier location and consider replacements for that spot.

My local nurseries only start getting their Austins around mother's day, so I will be looking out for Carding Mill or LEH! Have you grown LEH? How was the scent?

strawchicago z5 thanked seasiderooftop
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I have always been interested in LEH but never get it since it's wimpy as own roots. Folks rave about LEH scent. One person stated that he attended an Austin rose display, and among many Austins, only 2 scents shined: Heritage and LEH.

I have Pat Austin, the scent is way stronger and better than Crown Princess Mag. Pat repeats faster than CPM (long pause after spring flush).

• Related Discussions

wintering a rose bush in a container inside

Q

Comments (5)
    How much cold dormancy is needed (how cold and how long)? I did the same thing as the OP, but I'm two zones colder. My rose is a hybrid tea rose that is not quite hardy enough for this zone. An "unheated garage" (actually, it would have to be a farm shed for me) could be 25* below zero. And digging a hole to bury anything is out of the question in this miserable clay soil (the whole reason for putting it in a container was to not have to chisel out a hole). I was thinking maybe I could leave it out most of the fall and bring it in for an artifical spring before the really brutal part of winter sets in?.
    ...See More

Winter Hardy (cane hardy) Climbing Roses

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Flowernay! I just discovered this forum--usually go to ponds as have a pond but did a search on cold climate gardening and low and behold! I grow William Baffin, John Cabot and John Davis--favorite is the last as blooms all season. Have had it planted for 5 years and is only 6 feet tall--the other two are only 2 years old so havn't reached their growth yet. If your friend wants a really tall climber my Polestar, sometimes called Polar Star is over 9 feet tall. It was taller (almost 15 feet spread along the fence) but I moved it last spring and it didn't like the move much. Had to cut down the canes to 6 feet to move it. They grow on old wood so you are not supposed to cut the canes--just prune out side canes. The flowere is very interesting white with a green bud in the center--only blooms in early spring, but I like the foilage as is a good cover for an ugly wall. The only problem is is that the thorns are about 3/4" long which is why I moved mine from beside the sidewalk to an area where I won't get bitten when I pass by. Sorry for the late post--I guess this may be e-mailed to you. Happy rose gardening! Jalal
    ...See More

Huge rose needed, zone 5 cane hardy, grows to 6x6 or more

Q

Comments (23)
    Yes, it's the same rose. The year I bought my two I think it was listed as 2.5 feet or something odd. HMF says 3-6 feet, but used to say only 3, I think. But funniest is HMF says Ascot grows up to 18 inches wide--mine is about 7 feet. It's a good thing I just happened to plant the one in the photo in a place with lots of room, but I have had to remove a lavender, dianthus, and will remove another big lavender this spring to make way. It's currently duking it out with a huge snowball bush. Who will win? Diane Ascot in 2013--see how far away the snowball is? The rose is touching it now. The lavender on the right is gone and other will soon be gone; it's being crushed.
    ...See More

Princess Charlene of Monaco, is she winter hardy in zone 6 or colder?

Q

Comments (2)
    Moses I will let you know next spring! I"m truly testing mine, as she's still sitting in a pot waiting to be planted! Will get her in the ground this week & mulch well and wait and see. Remind me to update you next spring :)
    ...See More
  • joeywyomingzone4
    4 months ago

I lost all my photos when my old computer crashed so I'll have to get some new ones this year but Bright & Shiny makes the prettiest bush. The leaves are so glossy they almost glow and it has one of the shortest rests between flushes of any of my roses. It stays a tidy shape and has minimal thorns. If it had fragrance it would be perfect. I've never seen a diseased leaf on it, and it was cane hardy without snow cover down to -21F.

strawchicago z5 thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • sharon2079
    4 months ago

Hi Straw,

Thanks for this thread. I can't really contribute to anything for hardiness... but I like bush shots so much better than just single shots. It helps to give a better picture of how the rose grows.

When I first started out growing roses a very long time ago, I bought a rose called Kordes Perfecta. IT had a beautiful picture of a single rose on the package and it it said it was fragrant..... It sure was pretty and it definitely smelled terrific. But I thought it should have been name NOT PERFECTA.... it was a leafless wonder here in Zone 10.

Do you know what Khalid from Pakistan's climate is like. I know you said zone 9, but is hot and dry or hot and humid. I am in Zone 10 in Florida - hot and humid. I know that many of roses that grow well in zone 10 California hate my climate. Thanks for any input.

I love your pictures.

Sharon

strawchicago z5 thanked sharon2079
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Khalid's 1st garden of 100+ pots were in Islamabad. From the web: "The summers in Islamabad are sweltering, humid, wet, and clear, and the winters are short, cold, and partly cloudy. It is not unusual for the temperature to range from 38F to 100F during the course of the year, and it rarely falls below 33F or exceeds 107F."

Pakistan has monsoon season where it rained for months. I lived Northern CA for a short time, the climate in northern CA is cooler and never get hot like in Chicagoland (above 90 F in September). It never rain when I was in CA.

• sharon2079
    3 months ago

Straw do you (or anybody else) know what the flower below is..... It has a similar leaf to the lemon tea that you gave me.

I took a cutting of this little guy last year in Nashville when my daughter was graduating grad school. I did not know if it would like Florida, but I never saw so many bees and ladybugs..... so I took a little snip and put it in a water bottle and drove all the way back to Florida with it... it sat on my window sill for months and finally developed some roots. Then I babied it and babied it to help it through my summer, fall and winter. It is starting to bloom.

I am wondering if it is in the mint family.

strawchicago z5 thanked sharon2079
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 months ago

The above looks like lavender mint. Info from the web: "Lavender Mint - (mentha aquatica 'lavender') Very fragrant mint variety. Useful in potpourri, boquets, wreaths, etc. Small rounded leaves similar to orange mint in appearance, heavy perfumed scent. Pretty lavender colored flowers when in bloom. Makes a nice container or hanging basket plant. Easy to grow perennial zones 5-9."

• seasiderooftop
    3 months ago

Perhaps it is lavender mint, but I would have thought some kind of Nepeta. But I don't grow either one of those so I'm only basing this answer on pictures!

In the bush beauty category, even though it's still very young (bare root planted in late January), I want to nominate Pascal Sevran. The young foliage is a beautiful deep color, and so impossibly glossy that the leaves look wet. First pic in shade vs the next two in full sun. I didn't use neem oil or any leaf shine product, this is just his natural shine!

HMF says Pascal Sevran (ADAlyakces, 2002) is sold in the US under the name Julia, but I feel like that can be confusing since there's so many roses with Julia in their name. So I will stick with his European exhibition name here. Flowers should be white with a cerise edge and strong fragrance... I can't wait to see him bloom!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Seaside: I adore the reddish & glossy leaves of your Pascal Sevran rose. My Romantica Sweet Promise 2007 had similar leaves, but it died when tree roots invaded it. Below is own root Sweet Promise 2007 bought from Roses Unlimited, pretty shiny leaves:

Below is the big bloom of Sweet Promise, awesome apple blossom scent:

It's a heavy bloomer (in cluster) when we have day long rain, the repeat is fast. I like its apple-blossom scent better than Sweet Mademoiselle (floral myrrh).

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Lovely leaves on these great bushes!!

Straw - your first picture shows roses with really lovely bush shapes!! And look at those flowers...especially Poseidon!! Oh my! ;) :) But the best are those CdC blooms!!! I'm so looking forward to getting mine! :) :) And your La Reine and SM...come on!!! Sheer beauty!!

Seaside - I love the leaves on your bushes!!

I can't contribute roses to this thread because I don't know if they're winter hardy. But I can certainly enjoy the pictures and ideas here. :)

strawchicago z5 thanked rosecanadian
  • seasiderooftop
    3 months ago

Sweet Promise is so beautiful! Bush beauty AND gorgeous blooms!

I love shiny leaves on roses.

Not just for aesthetic value, but also because I find that those that have this type of thicker, glossy foliage tend to do better in my windy conditions: the wind doesn't seem to shred the leaves as much.

To be confirmed this coming week! We are getting extreme winds again and they will be East winds, the worst for me, coming straight from the sea carrying salt and hitting the rooftop garden from the most exposed side. I am a bit worried for all of that tender new growth on the recently planted bare-root roses. This weekend I will be staking all the plants that haven't been staked yet.

• seasiderooftop
    3 months ago

@rosecanadian

Same here, I have no idea if my roses are winter hardy since winter hardiness is not a criteria for me in my no-frost zone, but we can all enjoy roses with bush beauty!

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Seaside - I hope your plants do well against the terrible winds coming....staking seems like a great idea...a lot of work...but good idea!

So true...I love looking at rose pictures...really makes my day!

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 months ago

Sweet Promise is stunning!

strawchicago z5 thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Seaside: I appreciate all your pics, the most useful ones are the ones GROWN by the poster (esp. bush shots).

Carol: I appreciate all your pics., including the ones that died through your zone 4 winter. Still kick myself for NOT getting Valencia for $12 from Roses Unlimited sale, if I had seen how many blooms your Valencia has, and how big your blooms are, I could had bought it. And no one can describe a scent except THE GROWER herself, hence internet pics. are useless.

Joey: I miss the pictures that you post of your roses, I hope to see bush-shots of the new ones you get for your new house. What do you plan to get for your new garden? Thank you.

Sharon: I love all the pics of your garden in Florida, and the fragrant roses you grow. When Khalid started his facebook group "Fragrant Gardens" he stated the rule that pictures posted SHOULD BE from the grower, rather than taken randomly from the internet. I agree, I appreciate Steven's pics. of zero bloom & octopus cane Othello in his Michigan garden, so I can visualize if it can deter rabbits.

But random pics. of JUST BLOOMS alone don't help much, esp. when it's NOT from the poster's garden, but taken from the web.

Some roses to make Carol's day from my garden. Red roses live forever in my garden due to my high iron black clay. Below is 8th-year own root The Dark Lady, blooms are as big as my hand. It has wafting old rose scent, can smell 4 feet away, but loses its scent in the vase:

Big Purple (below upper right) died in my garden after 8 years since I forgot to winter-protect it, so I bought it again from Roses Unlimited. Other reds in below bouquet: Barcelona, W.S. 2000 and The Dark Lady. Lowest left pink is Comte de Chambord. Big Purple needs tons of water to bloom.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Straw - your The Dark Lady always catches my attention. I'm in love with that rose!! Oh my goodness!!! Those roses are exquisite!!! CdC - heavenly bloom (my favorite of these blooms)!!! TDL - wow!! Is that luscious peach Evelyn? Happy happy rose dance!

Yes...you SHOULD have gotten Valencia. :) WHAT a rose!!!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I should had gotten Parade Day if I had seen your pic. before Roses Unlimited selling that for $12 per gallon. Carol, you post the best pic. of Parade day ever, so many blooms.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    3 months ago

I wouldn't be able to tell you about winter hardiness in your zone, but for year-round attractiveness, and all-summer blooms, in my garden it's 'Huntington Rose'. What it has that no other rose in my garden has, is winter beauty. I think that the vase shaped bush is very attractive.

The leaves with seven leaflets are different from my other roses and give a finer texture than the others.

It doesn't bloom in a profuse flush in the spring, and the flowers don't last very long, but there is usually at least a couple blooms on the plant all summer, and most roses shut down in the heat.

Maybe not my favorite rose, but it has such charm that I wouldn't want to give it up.

strawchicago z5 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you, Noseometer, for fantastic pics. of Huntington Rose. How's the scent compared to other fragrant beauties in your garden? Your input is valuable so I include other forums "Rose" and "Antique Rose" in viewing this post.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Straw - thanks!! :) :) Parade Day is in my top 5 rose list. Fabulous rose!!

Noseometer - before I even saw your fabulous blooms so unique) of Huntington Rose, I loved the shape of the bush...and especially the color of the canes in your 2nd picture. What a winning rose!

3 months ago

@strawchicago z5 - I'd say that the fragrance is mild/moderate. The second year, the flowers smelled like banana cream pie, a unique fragrance that was a big surprise. But since then, the fragrance has been a rather nondescript rose fragrance to me. Not spicy, not lemon, no sandalwood, not myrrh. No high or low notes. No particularly unique tones. Just mid-range mellow rose. It's not a rose I would grow for specifically for its fragrance even though there is nothing wrong with the fragrance. It's not a rose I would grow for cutting. But it is a rose with garden presence that doesn't need to be relegated to a cutting garden due to ugly bush appearance.

Here are a few more photos just to show you how it grows and blooms.

Spring flush:

To show how it produces large sprays of flowers.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Wow !! Those tiny leaves are so airy and make the bush so beautiful. I love sprays of light pinks. Your Huntington rose has better bush beauty than Scepter'd Isle, which I gave away due to its dirty-socks scent, plus I don't have the space for its gigantic bush.

My favorite bush beauty with tiny leaves is Blue Mist, a 10th-year own root rose at 1' x 1', it has fantastic wafting scent of old rose and musk. It's VERY DROUGHT tolerant, blooming well despite being invaded by tree roots:

3 months ago

That's very cute, Straw! And a great fragrance, to boot. I can see why you like it.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Noseometer - a rose that smells like banana cream pie!! Oh, I love banana cream pie. :) :) I really love the leaves on your HR...and it sure throws a lot of lovely blooms. :)

Straw - I love your Blue Mist. I love how the old blooms and new new ones mingle their colors together. And it has a great fragrance to boot! Love!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 months ago

Flowers, you need to post more pictures.

WOW

The way frangrant spreader grows is how i wish everything i have would fill out.

where did you get it? ive never heard it mentioned before.

i have cream veranda on order for may after so many recommendations for its form/habit/health/density

strawchicago z5 thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Flowers: WOW !! I love all your pics. I appreciate your pic. of The Alnwick rose since it's in LongAgoRoses 2022 inventory. I adore your Mrs. John Laing's dark pink and many petals. Your pics are more exciting than this year David Austin's boring catalog.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Flowers - oh SWOON!!! Your Mrs. John Laing blooms are the epitome of what a rose bloom should be!!! And your The Alnwick Rose blooms are waaaay better than mine ever were!!! Thank you for posting these stunning roses!!!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Dee-lish checks all the boxes: health, bush beauty, fast repeat, heat-tolerant and winter hardiness. Below is 7th-year own root Dee-lish in my zone 5a. Pic. taken last year at near 90 F in my rock-hard black clay:

• Paul Barden
    3 months ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I strongly suspect your "Mrs. John Laing" isn't correctly ID'd. (Or perhaps you've photographed the wrong rose?)

'Mrs. John Laing' is a silvery pale pink with very different form from what you've shown here, a similar color to 'Mme. Caroline Testout'. And 'Mrs. John Laing' has a very light, vaguely Tea fragrance, not at all "old rose" in character. And the foliage is more matte, bluish-green in color. Your rose appears to be much more typical Hybrid Perpetual, showing ancestral Damask traits (which would explain the fragrance you describe) I'm curious, where did you get that plant?

strawchicago z5 thanked Paul Barden
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 months ago

Paul, I appreciate your input. I used to wonder if I had her name right, but decided on Mrs. JL and that's how I think of her. She's one of my oldest and the small local nursery she came from is no longer in business. A fairly well known rose grower on Pleasant Prairie in Spokane, Gerry Krueger, sold her business to a young brother sister team, but they only lasted a couple years. I bought her from them, along with Magna Charta because I couldn't decide between the two about 20 years ago. I lost her name and had no success in identifying her. The brother and sister were gone and Gerry had retired and gave up roses to travel. Mrs. John Laing was the best I could do. I used to always add that I wasn't sure, but had convinced myself that she actually is Mrs. JL. I do think she is a Hybrid Perpetual or Damask Perpetual because her form is so much like Magna Charta's and Marchesa Boccella's tight habit with short stems. For me, she is a prettier rose bush than either of those.

I would love to give her her proper name, so if you have any ideas, please let me know.

strawchicago z5 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 months ago

Jc, I barely posted last year because we had non-stop house guests from early spring through fall. The garden suffered from neglect and from intense heat. At times, I put the company to work and there would be a bunch of us all watering the poor thirsty things. I bought my Fragrant Spreader from Northland, but rarely see it anywhere now. I hardly ever see any of the OSO Easy collection anymore. It makes a good shrub even when not blooming. However, she was not the right type for her spot, so I dug her up and didn't try to save her because I just didn't have time. I needed her spot for another rose. I do regret it. I think you will LOVE Cream Veranda!

Straw, what nice things to say. If you decide to get Mrs. John Laing, wait for Paul's suggestions as to what she might actually be. My Dee-Lish is much, much darker than yours. I wonder if something in my soil makes pinks darker?

Carol, the jury's still out on Mrs. JL. Don't judge your Alnwick too soon. Mine took years before she came into her own. I almost dug her up so many times. And, thank you for always making me feel like a pro.

• MetteBee_Copenhagen8b
    3 months ago

Such beautiful photos of rose bushes. I often miss full bush shots when doing research on HMF.

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) such a beautiful Huntingdon specimen. I am glad I finally found one last year. Since it is able to be a short climber in my mild climate I have it against a low fence. We'll see what it wants to do.

For good-looking healthy foliage Charles de Mills springs to mind, it has characteristically downturned leaves in a light green. I can always tell a CdM from afar.

I also like to mix Spinosissima-hybrids in with my "regular" roses. The tiny leaves with many leaflets are so pretty and make a great bush when the rose is out of flower. Of course the classic Stanwell Perpetual is never out of flower, but gets some "crud" similar to Damask crud. Aicha and Frûhlingsduft are spotless, on the other hand.

strawchicago z5 thanked MetteBee_Copenhagen8b
  • Paul Barden
    3 months ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA "I would love to give her her proper name, so if you have any ideas, please let me know."

I wish I had an idea, but there are scores of HPs that look similar. (and HPs aren't really my strong suit) If its not 'Paul Neyron' or 'Reine des Violettes', then its a guessing game with no certain outcome.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet
    3 months ago

Full bush shots are so hard to find, aren't they Straw?

My Quietness is hardy and does well, but I had phenomenal rabbit damage for such an easy winter. I couldn't find my better pic of it though.

Therese Bugnet is lovely, but mine is now half as big due to cane girdlers.

Steven

strawchicago z5 thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet
    3 months ago

Thanks, Paul. I don't believe it's Paul Neyron or Reine des Violettes. I've grown both and don't remember them looking quite like this.

Steven, I'm sorry to hear about Therese Bugnet's troubles. Yours was one of the prettiest I've seen. She's such a fast and determined grower. she'll be as good as new in no time.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Straw - with a Dee-Lish THAT beautiful...I'd give up variety and plant those everywhere...okay maybe I wouldn't LOL...but man, that would be glorious!!!

Flowers - you say the nicest things! And it's too late for my The Alnwich Rose...it's long gone. :)

Steven - that last picture made me gasp!!! Love it!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Steven: You have the best Therese Bugnet ever !! Love that vase shaped bush.

Carol: I hope to see MORE pictures of your roses in pots. Your compact & lots of blooms roses have the best bush beauties I have seen.

My 11th-year own-root Carding Mill always have bush beauty, and it has the fastest repeat (constant blooming) among my 34 Austins. Below pic. was taken in hot July:

In spring time, Carding Mill's blooms are larger, see below. It has pretty medium to light green leaves:

• rosecanadian
    last month

Thanks, Teresa! :) :) Man, that's a fabulous Carding Mill!! I didn't know they got that tall! The spring look has such stuffed blooms!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last month

Marie Pavie has bush beauty and winter-hardiness (hardy to zone 4), but Perfume Breeze won me over with its better scent. Below is Marie Pavie in my garden, nice musk scent:

• rosecanadian
    last month

Straw - I got a Perfume Breeze this year. I hope it does well and survives for me. :) No blooms yet...still pretty small and still in its small greenhouse pot. My goodness!!! Your MP is a stunner!! Talk about a bloom fest!! I can't imagine having that growing in my yard...sheer beauty!!

• berrypiez6b
    last month

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I think I may have been to that nursery over a decade or two ago where you got your Mrs j Laing. Did the nursery have a beautiful stream at the south end with a picnic table to sit at ? I think I hit just about all the nurseries around Spokane back then...

This year I received a M J Laing from High Country. She's growing reasonably well for this terribly cold rainy weather. If she blooms this year I'll try to post photos.

By the way your rose is really pretty, I had my hopes up mine would look like that, but now that Paul Barden mentioned it, your photo does not closely match those on HMF- but it's a beauty nevertheless.

strawchicago z5 thanked berrypiez6b
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

Is zeph a once-bloomer? In JP site it blooms all season as a climber. I am considering ordering one in the fall.

strawchicago z5 thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last month

Yes, Zeph is a once-bloomer, but it has one month of tons of blooms spring flush, and a 2nd flush of 5 blooms max. I can smell its raspberry and rose scent 30 feet away.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

That is very beautiful!

• seasiderooftop
    last month

Gorgeous pictures, @strawchicago z5 , thanks so much for sharing! Marie Pavie and Zephirine Drouhin are both looking fabulous!

• rosecanadian
    last month

Straw - oh, I really hope mine grows...I can't wait to smell the fragrance. Yours looks like a bush? How big is yours?

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    last month

As 8th-year own-root, Zeph is 4' x 3' ... I chop it down after blooming to 2 feet. Zeph's scent is more pure rose than Perfume Breeze (has a musk element). Below is Zeph, pic. taken in our early spring mid-May: It's green to the tip through my zone 5a winter:

It had over 100 blooms in spring, with floating scent 30 feet away:

• rosecanadian
    last month

Ooooh!!! Wonderful!!! So I could grow mine as a shrub. :) :)

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

I placed an order. Thanks Straw foe the pictures