SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_163408741

Exterior siding/batten and board mishap by builder - seeking solutions

Elizabeth
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Update: I added more pictures. The house is not straight, it is angled in order to take advantage of a view in the back.

Our house is under construction. When leaving the house the other day, I thought my garage looked "off". There was too much random blue siding above the garage doors.

I went home and looked at the initial house plan. The initial plan had board and batten in the bottom area of the garage so the entire garage "bump out" was white.

I contacted the builder about this problem. He said "we will fix it immediately". Then he came back to me via email and explained that board and batten only comes in 10' pieces. The distance from the bottom of the garage to the "batten" is 11' 5". He explained that in order to put board and batten in that area, it would need to be cut. By cutting the vinyl batten, it would create a visible seam and it would be prone to moisture getting in.

He explained that the siding company decided to just put the blue siding there because of this issue.

I looked online and found out that steel batten goes up to 16'. The builder replied that our house has vinyl and this item is steel. I am not sure why these items cannot go together.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be fixed easily? I am not looking for drama just to move the process along. I am open to other materials and reworking the look. Thanks!

Comments (27)