SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

We're all in this together Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

I thought this tree was perfect for our group where some of us have flowers already, some have buds, some are in fall and some are still in winter (me) LOL. We're all in this together. :) :) Welcome!

Comments (1.5K)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 months ago

Crimson Glory

Ingrid Bergman

Fiji

My little found rose put on another new leaf so that is good news

I am worried about Munstead. It keeps losing canes and im not sure why. But it has happened twice that I notice a branch of yellow dead leaves .

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Munstead, please dont die.

• Related Discussions

Hey Mike! and all we're partying on the deck finally but

Q

Comments (31)
    Hi you.. I don't use the FE and Neem at once..If I have a severe break out, that is if, I use just the Neem and treat all my plants at night or early am, out from the sun.. I use the FE as a preventative which so far has worked wonders for me.. I had to use the Neem on plants I forgot to spray with FE all summer, and use it on plants that got attacked by someone else's plants infested at work.. Use them separately, Neem only with an infestation you can not get rid of, and the FE as a general spray for a preventative, although I know some that use FE and to smother the sucking insects that will not handle the oils.I spray in the am, even when the sun on them with the FE, and my plants never burn..I suppose the oil on Neem is much mr potent and stronger... Now in relation to your plants, I would spray them all with Neem only. Put a 1/2 teaspoon of soap, dish washing unless you have natural, and shake it well...Spray the underneath and tops of leaves. Spray the whole trunk, branches and pots.. If Rhizzo sees this thread, she may have a bit more to add.. DO NOT SPRAY this Neen oil during the hot part of the day, Tonight is good, and so is the am..I wish you had coco wet..I put this in everything to help improver sticking and wetting of anything I ned to stay on the leaves.. After a few days, start spraying down your plants at least once a week with FE.. Let us know what you do and take pictures, ok..:-) Mike
    ...See More

Newhomebuilder, we're linked by common threads across the miles..

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you so much, begoniagirl! I am blushing. :) Funny that we have the same lamps. I have been thinking about changing mine out for something with a little more contrast for that room, and perhaps putting mine in the master bedroom. That's a plan down the road, when I redecorate my mantle...maybe a spring project! Where is your fruit fabric? I'll have to go find your thread showing the Decatur Buff. I remember your thread about not liking your paint colors. I'm Glad you like it. I love the BM Greenfield Pumpkin, and think that would be perfect in my daughters kitchen. I am going to suggest it to her and show these photos. Well, got to go...Riley is barking to get inside. :)
    ...See More

Rosy Glow Seasonal Thread PART THREE!

Q

Comments (506)
    I can't see anyones pics anymore Cori Ann.... Others having same problem...Maybe start a finale Spring thread then next week I'll start a NEW Summer thread....???? Up to you...lol..What date does summer start? 21st? Only seen 1 tornado here in our direct local area Nanadoll in 57 years... 1990's... It tore a block of trees out just 2 blocks from our house...We went into the cellar that day... Our potted Fiji blooms stink...lol...I think our climate is just not right for many petaled rose blooms...Blooms need to open fairly quick here or rain makes them look bad before they get open.. I've even been keeping potted Fiji on the back porch out of rain...So slow to open in our cooler weather that it rotted...I'm guessing Plum Perfect will do the same...Guess I need to face it....lol...Next year I think I'll remove the in the ground Fiji...Then buy a new rose bush to go into its location..I'll still have potted Fiji...And I'll give Plum Perfect more time in the ground...If PP fails I'll pot him up too...lol Posting a pic can anyone see it????
    ...See More

Were we a baseball team, we could use all this grass. But we're not.

Q

Comments (14)
    To add to Yardvaark‘s suggested photo request, the warping and shrinkage in panorama photos make them more difficult for me to understand, so I prefer seeing a series of slightly overlapping photos not joined into a single panorama. How many acres are we talking here? Lot sizes vary quite a bit based on zoning, so you could have anything from 1/2 acre to 10 acres. As Christopher said, there is a middle ground between a set of trees manicured with ongoing herbicide and acres of lawn. We mow a chunk of our property as lawn, have several large shrub and tree borders 15’-20’ deep, and maintain other areas as rough field which have some trees, and keep other areas as woodlands . The field areas get mowed after the ground nesting birds have hatched and then about now after the grasses have seeded and are fading. We do use a bit of herbicide in the field on persistent woody invasives like buckthorn and bittersweet, as well as on poison ivy, but in general, just seasonal mowing takes care of woodies by not allowing them to become established. As long as you aren’t trying to maintain the look of a manicured lawn, mowing around trees isn’t an issue at all. The issue with removing all grass across a large area is that nature abhors a vacuum, and even the densest mulch will slow but not stop plants growing, not only woody plants such as native oaks and hickories, but also invasives and various herbaceous plants. You will be spending quite a bit of time for the first 10-15 years while the trees size up and the area still has a good amount of sun spraying herbicide, not a choice I would make. Also, if there is any slope at all, having bare ground covered with pine needles can leave you with massive erosion problems. You can start by planting a thick band of trees with an understory of large shrubs, well mulched, perhaps 15 feet deep and see how the maintenance works for that before committing to removing more lawn. The reason most folks have lawn rather than other plantings in the eastern half of the US is because it is the easiest to maintain.
    ...See More
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    4 months ago

I wonder if your found rose is Dr. Huey. Maybe you dug and cut off a little peice of understock roots from one of your other roses, and that peice of root is growing back now. I'm sorry to hear about MW :( but at least your roses are in full bloom! That's awesome.

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 months ago

ive got a few gladiolus starting to bloom.

ive never grown them before but they are easy. just buried the corms and watered.

rosecanadian thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Ashley Smith zone 5a
    4 months ago

Kristine I'm having an issue with canes dying too, but maybe its a little different than yours. Mine the cane just suddenly wilts. Would that be cane borer? Or moles?

rosecanadian thanked Ashley Smith zone 5a
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    4 months ago

Magpie, that's a shame about Therese Bugnet shattering so fast.

Ashley Smith, Distant Drums looks pretty good in your photos. I'd love to see it in real life. I like the way you're training John Davis. Very pretty. I hope Mme Hardy's next blooms are perfect. I saw her once in Tasmania, and she was beautiful.

librarian, what a lovely collection. Gorgeous shot of YL. My Ms Tillier is on the end of a major flush at the moment. He's one of my last to start in Spring, but has a great pre-winter flush.

Jim, what a wonderful rose. I could do with neighbours like that. Nice photos of Gracie and the wishing well too. She looks like she's settled in happily.

Kristine, good to see you're up and around again, and able to enjoy your garden in full bloom. So many beauties. I'd love to be able to smell Crimson Glory. It would have been miserable to miss that.

jc, your garden is coming along nicely. I tried gladiolas once in a country property. Wasn't there when they bloomed, darn it.

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • seasiderooftop
    4 months ago

Magpie, I think it may just be a feature of Therese Bugnet. There is some indication of this in the HMF reviews. I've noticed my young Blanc Double de Coubert blooms shatter very fast too, I mean within a day. Ultimately I guess it won't matter much when they get lots and lots of blooms!

rosecanadian thanked seasiderooftop
    4 months ago

I didnt realize that Iost my sense of smell until I couldnt smell Crimson Glory.

Magpie, that little rose is definitely not huey. It is the most perfect shade of orange sherbet

I should have grabbed a picture.

Ashley, .Munstead sounds like what yours is doing

Certain branches and just turning yellow and dying.

It is my favorite bush and I am so bummed.

I will check for borers.

Quietness

Daybreaker

My poor beautiful Munstead

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Kristine and Ashley, my Munstead is doing that too but I just figured it didn’t like the deer spray (Purple Button hated it too) and was having a hard time with no sun.

I’m over this year. Next spring please.

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Oursteelers? I am discouraged this year too. I have never had so many roses looking so unhappy.

Thank goodness for Quietness. What an uncomplaining ( moved

4 times) rose . Always so perfect

But I feel your frustration.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Kristine, My, your blooms are beautiful! Munstead is absolutely gorgeous! Sonetimes tgere are just yellow leaves-maybe that side didnt get ferilizer or didnt like the soil, but maybe it will recover on it’s own. Quietness & Daybreaker look simply lovely! The season is just beginning! We still can expect soooo much beauty!!!

I had a first bloom today, ha, ha, my White Knock Out! Only rose I ignore.Lol! She doesnt count!!!! I didnt fertilize her-she’s stuck on back hill to just fill a spot. I hardly pruned her…. so what does she do? She blooms!!!! Lol! Munstead W is almost opening it’s petals!

Munstead was my hopeful first bloom!

Plum Perfect, newbie

Peony 1st blooms-many all at once today!!!

She’s a “Wild One!”

Summer’s Romance buds bursting all over!

Kimberlina’s trying to take 1st bloom-surprise!

Mary Rose wants second place!

La Reine, newbie, has 8 buds & few blooms!

Begonia

Pink Lilac

Today I ordered Awakening CL rose on sale at Heirloom Roses & (I will cancel Devoniesis -not a good rose for my climate.)

Awakening CL (Heirloom Roses’ photo)

rosecanadian thanked Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Oh Kristine, I forgot you said it had an orange bloom. Duh.

I'm sorry to everyone who's spring was/is disappointing. There's still a lot of season left for pleasant garden surprises though, I'm sure there are good things in store for you all 💜

4 months ago

Another bee photo.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

@jc_7a_MiddleTN

Your glads are really stunning-beautiful burgandy color! Pretty pink rose in background!

@Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)

Magpie, What a beautiful bee-looks like he has a fur coat. What flowers is he on? -very pretty!

This photo is for you!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

AshleyFl - that beautiful bloom was Intrigue? Oh my!! :)

Jim - I love it when we get messages from our past people/pets. I remember when you told us that. :) :)

AshleyS - I am so in love with your John Davis!! Winds are sure bothering your area. Yikes!

Kitty - Well, in that case...I had a bloom on a Sunsprite when I came back from our trip to see Holly in Smithers. So that would be May 1st. :) It'll be fun to see the chart. The roses will go in the back yard in about 3 days...but blooms won't be until July, I'm thinking. Yes, I think you're right...it does feel like I've had to say goodbye to my roses. Time for new beginnings. I really hope I do better this year. Last year really scarred me. But you've made a good point...it's like we've moved. :) I couldn't get a new rose today as was the plan...they hadn't come in...but they're supposed to be out on Saturday. Time for the roses to go out back has changed to Thursday. LOL You've ordered 30 new roses...I told my husband that you and I should win the "award" lol for buying the most roses this year. I've bought GASP - 39 new roses. Jeez...you had mites, winter damage and summer damage and lost 20+roses. And yet, you're way more upbeat about it than I am. I gotta suck it up and be happier. Thanks, Kitty!! I have really been enjoying seeing your OGR pictures...they are so decadent!! Love your new roses! I like my Jacques Cartier...it's surviving...hopefully it will recover. You're going to have so many wonderful pictures to show us!! Thanks for the attitude adjustment, my friend. :) The place I ordered the passifloras from is a reputable place and I got some roses from them. It's just last year was their first year selling roses on-line and the email said that they're not set up for returning money to visa cards...but they will be next year. So they wanted our bank account number to deposit the money. We declined. Better safe than sorry. I wish I could have gotten the passifloras...but it is what it is. So did you grow your passifloras from seed? If so, maybe I can try that. :) :) I hope your seedlings do well. I just put the seeds in my garden and in some pots...hopefully they'll germinate and grow. :)

Jim - I love that last picture of Gracie...she looks so noble. :) Love to see your wishing well in your new yard and wow...wish I could smell those roses!!

Kristine - oh my goodness!!! I love your Desdemona!!! What a bloomer!! But my favorite is your Blue For You!! I really hope mine grows like that!!! Fabulous!!! Your Ingrid Bergman is a showstopper too! Munstead Wood is such a beautiful rose...I hope yours does better. I really love your Quietness bloom!! But, your MW is another show-stealer...I really hope it stops dying.

jc - wow!! I love the color of that glad...mmmmmm

AshleyS - could you tug on the wilted cane and see if it comes up? :( :(

Oursteelers - I've had that feeling all last summer as my roses kept dying and this spring too. Flame thrower time. I really hope your roses step up and do you proud and happy.

Kitty - of course, the rose you ignore blooms first. LOL Isn't that the way. I love your roses and buds...but what steals my heart is that 2nd picture of you peony!!! Oh my!!

Maggie - you stole the show today IMO :) :) with your great bee picture!! Thanks Kitty for enlarging it. :) :)

Spring is here!! Some trees have started to blossom!!

Maybe I should start a new Summer thread tomorrow??

• seasiderooftop
    4 months ago

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw Daybreaker is gorgeous, wow!! I had never heard of that rose, thanks for sharing!

rosecanadian thanked seasiderooftop
  • Ashley FL 9B
    4 months ago

A couple of Olivia's buds yesterday, and Bliss just had its first few buds open. It's pretty, but I kind of wish I'd ordered something with dramatic color instead. 

Carol, do you think that the heat wave last summer was an underlying factor for some of your rose losses? 

Off subject, I guess, but are roses a common sight in other people's yards where any of you live? They don't seem to be popular here.

rosecanadian thanked Ashley FL 9B
    4 months ago

Carol, this is your year for happy roses. I am proclaiming that this is Carol's year . My Blue For You took a few years but definitely worth the wait so be patient with that one.

Magpie, you catch the coolest shots. That picture of the bee is amazing. Thanks Kitty for enlarging it.

Seasider, Something about Daybreaker just makes me smile .

I had it years ago and had kind of forgotten about it

I added 2 and am so happy that I did. I guess that I am a sucker for those sunset colors.

Which brings me to agreeing with you Ashley that I find Bliss a bit meh. I like a bit of saturation of color. It is also looking a bit thripy right now.

Feeling pretty much normal today. I am out of everything so need to test and then if negative do some grocery shopping

If still positive I will have to order some stuff

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

The top three things you find around here are rhodies, azaleas and junipers (blech)

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Carol,

Thank you regarding my roses & peonies. I have more blooming.

I have been thinking of you & how to replenish your roses & Passifloras. I had a Passiflora cutting & 2 sm plants-they all grew quickly. i’d try Passifloras from seeds!!!!! And I looked at Canadian rose nurseries … but I think you know who sells online best at this point & I see tgey mostly are for fall orders maybe? So I thought of taking cuttings & propogate? Do you have some favorite roses you may wish to take cuttings & propogate? Just an idea? Could really mutiple your favorites! I have doubles of 7 favorite roses. propogating could be fun w/ rooting hormone.

I started Eden from a 6 inch small plant-could have been a cutting from Etsy or somewhere. I got her in the fall and by spring & summer her first year she had grown 3ft. However her second year 2021 & now 3rd year 2022 she’s taking off w/blooms! I waited a long time for her!!!

@Ashley FL 9B Olivia & Bliss are favorites of mine-yours are pridtine gorgeous in form & color! Maybe next time yoy can have dramatic colors, too! I love the pastels & dramatics-they accentuate each other! Bliss will have an amazing fragrance!

4 months ago

@rosecanadian I find it very hard to believe that any modern business, first year online or not, doesn't have a way to process returns. And did they offer any other alternatives, like online store credit? It does sound like a scam to me.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 months ago

How about sending you a check Carol?

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

AshleyFl - maybe the heat/no rain had something to do with it. I think I grossly over-limed everything and then no rain came to help balance that. But, we live and learn. :) I really love your blooms!! I especially love your Bliss... :) :) How is it for fragrance? But, I get what you mean...I love screaming colors. :) Around here, there are very, very few gardens and even fewer roses. It's really quite sad.

Kristine - thank you!! :) :) :) Like the year of George (Seinfeld) LOL. I will proudly grasp the flag of truth making this my year!! LOL Yes, I'll be patient with my Blue for You. It's a really beautiful rose! Oh, thank God you're feeling pretty much normal today. That's such a relief!! :) :)

Kitty - that is so sweet of you to have a look around on-line to try to find passifloras for me. I think you're right...I'll see if I can find some passiflora seeds!! I'll let you know how it goes. As to taking cutting of my roses that I love...maybe towards fall (if I some of my new roses become favorites)...all of my most favorite roses are now dead...except for one...Nicole Carol Miller. I also got 2 Chandos Beauty roses...I was supposed to get a normal grade...but I got two tiny ones. They're both alive. :) :) Yes, your Eden is soooo beautiful!! You did really well with her.

Magpie - yes, you're right. I'll give them a call this week.

Sheila - a cheque is a great idea!

Thanks you two!

Good news!! The little bit of acid lovers fertilizer I put on (can't remember the name...Magic Mills???) has worked!!! !!!! !!! Leaves are changing to a wonderful green. I wish I hadn't listened to my husband, and had put it on much earlier. My Lasting Love (a favorite) would still be alive. But I get it...I have OCD and I can't stop fiddling with stuff. I think my OCD is a major reason for me killing all of those roses. Oh well. Things are looking up!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Here's some pictures of my streps. These are all new ones that no one else has...so cool! I won't be keeping all of them. There are a lot of whitish ones.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Kitty - I did a bit of research about growing passifloras from seed. It's not very successful. Everyone complained about how seeds didn't germinate. BUT!!! I bought a Maypop root from the states. Here's what they said.

Why buy root?
    Growing Maypop from seed is a WASTE OF TIME because it usually doesnt germinate (improperly stratified) and and takes FOREVER to get even a small vine going even when the seeds are properly stratified! Grow from a live root cutting and have a living plant by summer (when it comes out of dormancy).

# Trajectory root vs seed

Root → (Year 1) Multiple strong, thick, and healthy vines (of ~2 feet each) → dormancy → (Year 2) Flowers and many vines everywhere! (in summer) → (Year 3) Massive sprawling pile with >30 fruit / flowers --> (Year 4) Well now its impossible to kill!

Seed → If properly stratified, wont germinate for a MONTH → (year 1) Small twig the size of a clover → (Year 2) Same skinny twig but taller by 2 inches → (year 4) Same skinny twig but taller by 4 inches, no vines, no fruit, no flowers. sad.

# Planting
    You lie the plant in the dirt horizontally so that it lies flat, and place dirt overtop.
    Im fairly certain it will just grow from root regardless of any exterior conditions as it is a string and difficult to kill plant that will continue living even if cut into 2.5 inch bits, but Im still in the stages of testing what will kill it so it is to be seen. Tell me the progression of your plants please

# Dormancy
    The entire plant is dormant, so place it in (a medium), waiting for it to come out of dormancy in the summer.
    You'll have a beautiful, live, and vigorous Maypop plant that'll provide rare delicious fruit for you and beautiful flowers for the bees.

# Life cycle / cold hardiness
    Every year the entire plant will die back completely to the ground, and the next summer itll come back to life.
    Survives completely fine here in Virginia zone 7a.

# Taste / how to eat
    Smells beautiful, tastes beautiful, eat when slightly wrinkled and it falls off the vine.

# Harvesting
    Itll be wrenched from the ground in my backyard garden, washed, and then shipped as soon as the purchase goes through

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Carol, Love your Streps! Purples, blues, punks, yellows, whites-what an assortment of beautiful colors! You are so ambitious to have so many! Love seeing them! Thank you!

Clarification? ”You now have a Maypop root st your home?” I assume it has a root-stem and leaves? That is how I started my Maypop in soring 2021.

This is how I started my Maypop. It is easy-they are very vigorous hardy plants!

Each Maypop will grow faster or slower depending on plant size, sunlight, date youvstart it ect. I started in April when it was delivered. I watched a video & followed his directions. you can use rooting hormone, but Maypops arexso vigorous tgey dontvreally need it I think.

MY STAGES:

1. I put my “new wilted on delivery” “root-stem w/leaves,” in a water glass in morning sun window indoors.

APRIL 28, 2021

This is a photo of what it’s root looks like….at end of stem…

2. A few days later I put it in regular potting soil

in window. Watered & spray mist daily afterwards….( a rarely spray mist but supposed to)

APRIL 30, 2021

3. Watered daily it grew happily !

May 4, 2022

4. June 9, 2022 (I may have given it a bigger pot if needed.)

5. June 30, 2022 It was about 3 ft. I was waitibg for it to be about 3 ft & hardy before putting outside to harden off. I had construction-landscaping outside in south side yard to finish before I brought it outside.

6. July 4, 2022 First I put it in a shaded spot behind butterfly bush outside for a week & gradually moved it out to give it more morning sun… but I found it needed to be 1/2 under butterfly bush w/part shade/oart sun to be happiest & not burn leaves. More a tropical setting. I moved it ”more out in sun to get a photo.)

7. I put an obelisk in pot for it soon to climb around soon after. T started blooming in August 23, 2022.

8. Transolanted to bigger pot & obelisk.

10. Went inside home by window for winter in end of Oct before first frost. It goes partly dormant in winter not growing much, water when needed each week. In soring it starts growing rapidly second year!!!!!

11. In spring It could be put outside as soon as temperatures are daytime 68-82F in a oart shade/sun spot. Temps at night should be about 50F. Best to have 4 hrs sun in day and /shade in afternoon. It can bloom as early Spring-Fall & fruit May-August. I fertilize w/Osmocote once in April and Oct. a year. It’s supposed to be repotted every few years. If want fruit-may need hand pollinate & need 2 passifloras to cross pollinate.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

This spring 2022 my new passifloras were more well developed to begin with & my 1 year old Passiflora-all grew really fast and I put them in medium then large pots after a month or so… I will put them outside today in a shade spot to harden off for a week… little morning sun almost….

Today June 1, 2022….

Maypop

Possum Purple

Victoria

• Ang NC_7B
    4 months ago

I’m so excited this morning and I have to share this with all of you, because no one else would be as happy for me! Ha!

I have been trying for 3 years to grow an Heirloom. I got a mislabeled rose the first time and was so disappointed. Last year I couldn’t get my hands on one. I finally got one this year and accidentally put her in too much shade and she wasn’t happy. I moved her into the sun more and she started to bounce back. I finally have my first bloom and it’s stunning!

rosecanadian thanked Ang NC_7B
  • Ashley FL 9B
    4 months ago

Beautiful rose Ang! Oh, happy day lol. :). Congrats.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Lovely Heirloom! I used to have 2 Heirlooms! You’ll love her.

4 months ago

Yay Ang, what a glorious color!

I love my Heirloom.

The first year the sprinkler hit it and it lost all of it leaves to black spot. But we got that sorted out and now it is very happy.

Congratulations on getting your Heirloom.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    4 months ago

Wonderful photos! Always enjoy looking at them... :-)

We got hit by 3 days in a row of 90's so very unusual for us here at this time of year...

Anyways I did snap a couple photos of my highly fragrant next door neighbors roses... I can strongly smell it 30ft away...She has no idea what the name is only that it was here for about 30 years or more...

I think I seen blooms on it last year when I moved here...That was after July so I'm thinking it blooms more than once per year? But not sure..lol

Some flowers...

zinnias getting fired up...They seem to like the 90's...lol

Cats Meow Catmint I recently planted...Its blooming...This stuff seems to grow fast here...

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    4 months ago

Jim, I cant even tell you how wonderful it is to have you posting pictures from your new home.

Something about spring and new life that makes gardners so happy.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Lost My Post! Starting over….

Jim, Excited to see your gsrdens unfold! I’m research’ that fabulous neighbor’s mystery rose-she’s a beauty & Wow! the fragrance!!! Love your close up photos!!! Love your zinnias! And nice landscaping… love your artistic flare!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

It was a lovely walk, bright & sunny w/Anastasia a couple hours ago….. then I put outside my 3 Passifloras & peach begonias to harden off. A few minutes after they were all outside….IT STARTED RAINING HARD & THUNDER STORM! Lol! what a way to start hardening off! Just like a “tropical storm,” ha, ha!-they will feel at home! Actually much lighter! Little noisy outside w/the thunder but Anastasia doesn’t care.

Before hand I took some garden photos of many first blooms today! Ok, after my White Knock Out, today-1st blooms unfold all around!

Pink Peony

Sexy Rexy 1st bloom, newbie

Kimberlina, year one, 1st authentic blooms!

Mme Dubost, newbie

Summer’s Romance 1st bloom , 2nd year

Plum Perfect, 1st bloom, newbie

Munstead Wood, didn’t open yet-Oops!

Peony

My 3rd lilac

Rhodes still blooming

Eden is trying to bloom!

This year of my older roses my first blooms were White Knock Out (doesn’t count, then both Kimberlina & Summer’s Romance win the prize for my gsrden first blooms! I think they are both in the sunniest spotit-afternoon sun-next to one another, too. However, I have a few almost to open on front hill-morning sun spots, too !!!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Ready to do our first blooms chart almost. Anyone else like to add tgeir first blooms or estimate when their first blooms will be?

Diane, Can you estimate when your first rose blooms will be?

Thank you everyone! I will post it soon!!!!!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

@CeresMer Zone 7a NJ

Did you say May 1st fir Bolero first bloom?

How are your roses this week? Blooming big! Love to see your gardens! Lets have tea sometime & I am coming to see your roses!!!!

• Ashley FL 9B
    4 months ago

Jim, could your neighbor's rose be Hansa? 

Kitty, that Kimberlina bud is SO PRETTY!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

@jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

@Ashley FL 9B

Thank you about Kimberlina!

Great job! Ashley! Jim’s rose looks like Hansa Rugosa shrub! What a remarkable hardy climber! It says it’s rose hips look like cherry tomatoes & can be used to make jams & jellies! A magnificent rose climber-great for a hedge. What do uou think , Jim? Cool shared rose! What a blessing!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Kitty - Thanks, Kitty!! :) :) I'm really loving them!! No, I just ordered a Maypop root from Virginia. I had ordered 2 from a place in B.C...but they didn't send them. Thanks so much for the help with what to do!! :) :) So, it's possible to get a bloom next year. I sure hope so! I really appreciate the help. :) :) Oh my goodness!!! They look SO healthy!! :) :) You've really done a great job with them!!

Ang - I'm so in love with that color!!! I just bought an Heirloom rose...I really hope it's that color when it blooms!! WOW!!!

Jim - I love to see your creativity in designing your flower beds!! :) :) Such great pictures!! Thank you!! He's baaaack, baby!!! LOL

Kitty - oh those peonies!!!!! Talk about enthusiastic blooms!! Your lilacs are doing well...wish I could smell them...but what steals the show (by a long way) is your M.D.!!!!! I swear I could smell it when I clicked on the picture. Oh heavens!!!

My roses go in the backyard tomorrow!!! I'm so excited!!! And then I can plant my annuals!!! Yay!!!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago
  • Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

@rosecanadian

Carol, Do you mean you ordered a single Maypop root from Virginia, U.S.? Cool wheteever you ordered them from!!! Cant wait until you receive them! Maybe you can order another Maypop root so you can cross pollinate to have fruit? Thank you regarding my Passifloras-they are fun! And M Dubost is very fragrant & her gorgeous blooms-one of my favorites ever now!!! At the Top! Peony are great-you could try? Skipping to your new thread…..Thank you! You are so generous!

❤️🌸🌷🌺🌷🌸🥀🌹❤️

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Kitty - yup...that's what I did. :) :) I decided to only order one, because I wanted to see if I could grow them. And they only had one variety. Although, I guess to pollinate them, I'd need 2 of the same variety...would they have to be the same variety??? Yes, I have quite a few peonies. They're about 6 years old now I think. They're all really late bloomers. I bought another one this year...Sir Ian Fleming (I think that's what it's called.).

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

@rosecanadian,

Carol,

I just read that incarnata Maypop & Edulis are both self-fertile-self-pollinating-so you only need one plant. You may need to self pollinate it if bees dobt move the pollen around on it’s stamens… you can read how to do it. Im goibg to read more…..some oassifloras require 2 plants to pollinate.

Again, your root Passiflora is very easy to grow! Look how quickly I put mine in water then soil and it just grew roots immediately!!! And perked up from being wilted!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Kitty - it turns out that I may get those other two passifloras that I ordered. I'm not sure. My refund was only $13...so that must mean that the 2 passifloras are still coming. I'm not sure. I guess I should phone them. Good to know that they're self-fertilizing. Yeah, I'm glad that I'm getting a root...it should do just fine! :) :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 months ago

Brushwood Nursery also sells great Passiflora, Carol, although I'm not sure they ship to Canada.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

@rosecanadian, Carol, I would defintely call asap. And I find when I call-sometimes they ship immediately! Sounds very exciting-you may have 3 Passifloras!!! You’re going to be a Passiflora cultivator! You’ll need 3 obelisks-fun, fun! I bought them over time since they are all sm plants to begin.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Sheila - I've yet to see a commercial place that will ship here. Well, my first streps were from Florida...but I had to pay a phyto and extra for shipping. But I phoned lots of places in my OCD frenzies over the years. LOL Thankfully my medication has helped with that. Thanks for the idea though...it was nice of you. :) :) Okay, I just checked...and nope, they don't ship here.

Kitty - I think it will be a lot of fun to grow passifloras and compare how ours are doing. :)

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

@rosecanadian, 🌸🌷🌺🌼🥀 Woohoo Woohoo! Let the gardening begin!!!!!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Yes!! :) :) Happy, Happy Rose Dance!

Sponsored
Wendy's All In One LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Delivering Beautiful Custom Home Remodels in Loudoun County