FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
rosecanadian

We're all in this together Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I thought this tree was perfect for our group where some of us have flowers already, some have buds, some are in fall and some are still in winter (me) LOL. We're all in this together. :) :) Welcome!

Comments (1.4K)

• Ang NC_7B
    3 days ago

Here are some of my recent blooms

Silas Marner

The Poet’s Wife

Peace

Bathsheba

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Jubilee Celebration

Claire Austin

rosecanadian thanked Ang NC_7B
  • Kitty6aNY
    3 days ago

Kristine,

Does Azalea have it? or just mild spring sneezes? God bless her to stay healthy! Desdamina & Blue for you are so lovely blooming! So heavenly to have blooms! Brigadoon & Radiant Perfume will be fabulous!!! Sending orayers for everyone & your roses!!!

@Ang NC_7B Lovely!!!! Love Bethsheba & P Anne especially! Really gorgeous blooms of all roses!

rosecanadian thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Related Discussions

Remember...we're all different

Q

Comments (1)
    cindy pond, I think that what you have said is so important. I am 49 and like you have had years of step parenting. I've had years as a single mother. The past is a great influence. Some times it is a blessing, other times not so much. I think that age makes such a difference in how you look at things. Some times it is great to have the fresh perspective of the younger woman. The younger woman can some times benefit from the experience of a so called "seasoned" woman as well. The thing to remember in dealing with all of these issues IMHO, is to deal with them using honest, healthy emotions. We all need to be reminded of that at times. Thank you for posting this threat. I appreciate your insight.
    ...See More

Were we a baseball team, we could use all this grass. But we're not.

Q

Comments (14)
    To add to Yardvaark‘s suggested photo request, the warping and shrinkage in panorama photos make them more difficult for me to understand, so I prefer seeing a series of slightly overlapping photos not joined into a single panorama. How many acres are we talking here? Lot sizes vary quite a bit based on zoning, so you could have anything from 1/2 acre to 10 acres. As Christopher said, there is a middle ground between a set of trees manicured with ongoing herbicide and acres of lawn. We mow a chunk of our property as lawn, have several large shrub and tree borders 15’-20’ deep, and maintain other areas as rough field which have some trees, and keep other areas as woodlands . The field areas get mowed after the ground nesting birds have hatched and then about now after the grasses have seeded and are fading. We do use a bit of herbicide in the field on persistent woody invasives like buckthorn and bittersweet, as well as on poison ivy, but in general, just seasonal mowing takes care of woodies by not allowing them to become established. As long as you aren’t trying to maintain the look of a manicured lawn, mowing around trees isn’t an issue at all. The issue with removing all grass across a large area is that nature abhors a vacuum, and even the densest mulch will slow but not stop plants growing, not only woody plants such as native oaks and hickories, but also invasives and various herbaceous plants. You will be spending quite a bit of time for the first 10-15 years while the trees size up and the area still has a good amount of sun spraying herbicide, not a choice I would make. Also, if there is any slope at all, having bare ground covered with pine needles can leave you with massive erosion problems. You can start by planting a thick band of trees with an understory of large shrubs, well mulched, perhaps 15 feet deep and see how the maintenance works for that before committing to removing more lawn. The reason most folks have lawn rather than other plantings in the eastern half of the US is because it is the easiest to maintain.
    ...See More

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 3

Q

Comments (179)
    Nice pic titian1! It snowed a bit here last night...windy and cold today...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Nanadoll, I hope your doing ok... Please let us know when you get the chance... The Bloomstrucks have been crushed with snow & ice...
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 7

Q

Comments (210)
    Oh, what a long day, and I still haven't had a decent dinner. I deadheaded til the sweat ran down my face, hand watered a bunch of stuff, and sprayed every rose in my garden with deer repellent. To top it off, Jemma and I found over 200 more pics on a second file in my memory card, so we now have organized, filed, cropped, etc, over 700 photos! Jemma will be taking my camera away from me. I plead temporary insanity. All those days I didn't post, I was taking photos--ha. And you thought I was working in my garden. Pippa, I've always wanted to grow Gruss, and your photo reminds me why. She's such a lovely rose. I love the linaria. I've become interested in wispy delicate plants to weave amongst the roses. I've been trying out anchusa for the past year or two. Thank you, Flowers. Love Song is a favorite of mine, so I guess that's why I have two of them. Yes, from now on Jim is Sir James, OBE. Sorry, Jim. Kristine, I'm glad you're getting some help because your day sounds like mine--only I don't have a baby to care for. I can't imagine how exhausting it must be, but you still grow lots of lovely roses and other plants. Did you grow delphinium this year? Deadheading is my biggest job right now, too, so I can sympathize. It gets me that we work so hard all year so the roses can bloom a while, only to have all those luscious blooms dry up and die. What a waste of beauty, it seems like. Thanks, Blondie. What a shame that some Canadian roses don't take the cold well. Your Morden Sunrise may be small, but it's quite cute, plus nice and thick. It will be lovely all covered in blooms, so be sure to post a photo. I guess MS does better in zone 7 and above--ha. I'm interested in baptisia, so would love to see more photos of Sparkling Sapphires. It should be a stunning plant in full bloom. Love the solar egg. Now I will show you our Finn on a Bike whirligig. Diane
    ...See More
  • Kitty6aNY
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Bright & sunny 71F (feels like 78F.) It’s more buds & blooming……roses all have added many buds except a few newbies & old ones pruned hard. After rain & a cool day many blooms today!

Reine des Violettes (Such a sm newbie & so many blooms anyway!)

Cream Veranda, vibrant 1st bloom

Madame Dubost, In all her blooming sublimity! Her fragrance is sooooo decadent & deeply perfumed-I have never smelled a rose sooooo intense!

And M Dubost bud

Rhododendrons lush blooms

Pansie

Peonies, a few bushes all budded up!

Eden really filling out!

La Reine 4 buds

Lilacs

Pink Lilac

Mandevilla

Anne Boylyn is the most tall hardy of all my DAs. Maybe due to it’s glossy leaves. It has triplets of buds to bloom all over!!!

I now have many large rose bushes, healthy glossy & plain or colorful red leaves 3ft just starting to bud or buds almost opening!!!!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    3 days ago

WOWSER! Enjoying all these great photos! :-)

Snapped a shot of my neighbors rose bush...My fence is 6ft tall so bush is

near 8ft ...lol

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
  • Ang NC_7B
    3 days ago

@jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa. That's what I like to call the "borrowed garden"! I had a "borrowed" peach and avocado tree from my old neighbor in CA that gave me many a delicious snack!

rosecanadian thanked Ang NC_7B
    3 days ago

Never thought of that Ang NC_7B...lol...The borrowed garden... I like that...:-)

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 days ago

Diane - thanks! :) :) I got those planters/table from a chain store here called London Drugs. They have a pharmacy, electronics, houseware and in the summer...some wonderful things like these. Yup, they were new. Yes, there's a cute little bird perched on the showerhead. :) Yeah, I'll keep you posted here as to how the climbers do. I'm not expecting much beyond...I hope they survive. :) You really worked yourself to exhaustion. Good thing you got Clare to help you. :) It shows you're not hopelessly stubborn. LOL :) Yes, Don said it's on sacred land. They can change what's there...but they can't change the footprint. So I think he said that the lens is set into a larger setting and so the lens can be exchanged for a larger one...but not for the really large one they want. Oh...that makes sense that Californians are moving away from the fire dangers. So a lot of them are going to Idaho and making the house prices higher. Okay, I'll start planting the seeds soon. :) Glad your roses are looking healthy and strong. :)

Ang - I so agree with you...we've moved a lot, and I can't do another move. Unless it's Hawaii. LOL Oh, can you share pictures of your dogs? :) :) So good that they earn their keep by scaring away the deer. Good dogs! Oooh...I'd also love pictures of your roses/flowers you brought inside!! Oh my!!! Your roses are glorious!!! :) :) Gotta go right now...maybe I'll have time to add more later. :)

Magpie - good to hear that there wasn't catastrophic damage. Things will recover. :)

Kristine - Yes, I'm praying for your family. I hope you have a very, very mild case and that Azalea is fine. At least it's in summer where you can spend a lot of time outside where you're not as contagious and you're less cooped up. How are you feeling? Really good to hear that your rose order has come!! I hope you got what you ordered. Lovely pictures...my fave is Blue For You (which I got this year!!). Does it have a nice fragrance...I know your sniffer probably isn't working well right now.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 days ago

Kristine, I’m hoping you all recover quickly!

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 days ago

Kristine LeGault ...I'm praying for you and your family...

I just got over covid.. I had a mild case of it...Test came back positive...

Forgot to mention: I drove by my old house last week! OMG! The outside grounds is in terrible shape...Weeds over 15 inches high everywhere, grass very high...My roses that I left are in bad shape! It made me sick to the stomach... :-( I am told the owners still live there and I seen his car out front when I went by...So?

Hey Nanadoll... I found another pic of Walkers Low when I lived at my old house..

• Kitty6aNY
    3 days ago

Hi, Jim, Thanks on the Wowser! Still working at on my beds. I will fertilize roses on Friday w/Rose Tone & acid lovibg olants w/Holly Tone.

Tomorrow I do weed/feed on lawn & seed grass in places. I have plantings to finish in next few days.

I am so glad you are healthy now!

Its so much fun seeing you start your new gardens! New designs-new dreams! You do such a beautiful job! We are both having similar weather! Are you watering w/sprinklers or a system?

You kept it so nice-immaculate when you took care of your other property! Very lovely! Perfect mowed lawn! Nice garden beds! Walkers low is pretty!!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 days ago

Thanks for the Covid prayers and well wishes

So far only my husband is sick and tested positive. I have a headache but that could be from stress. Azalea is fine so far.

My husband is hunkered downstairs in front of the fireplace and I have the airconditioner on

Its 90 degrees out for heavens sake.

Jim, because of you I have 5 Walkers Low

They are so wonderful and if it hadnt been for you I never would have tried it .

It made me sad to drive by my old house and see my beautiful roses looking so dilapidated

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Kitty6aNY
    3 days ago

Kristine, God Bless you & recover quickly-hope its just a mild case that goes away swiftly!

• Kitty6aNY
    3 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

@librarian_gardner_8b_pnw I enjoyed attempting researching your rose & almost ordered Yolanda of Aragon; However I had my eye on 2 other roses & so I couldnt resist ordering them…

@CeresMer Zone 7a NJ A few pinks…. esp Vicomtesse Decaux may suggest for your gardens?….

Antique Rose Emoorium (photo) is almost done for ordering shipping by May End: I ordered Vicomtesse Decaux rose (BS resistant.)

And I ordered today another Bourbon i had back in CA-loved her so finally I’ll have her again….

I ordered Madame Isaac Perierre CL from A Reverence for Roses. (Heirloom Roses’ photo)

Where to put her?

Both very fragrant!

Vicomtesse Decaux was named after this famous painting , trivia…”Vicomtesse Iphignie Decaux , ne Milet-Moreau 1780,”

• seasiderooftop
    3 days ago

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw I hope your husband recovers quickly and neither you or Azalea end up getting sick.

rosecanadian thanked seasiderooftop
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 days ago

Amen!

OK, I agree that Walkers Low is beautiful in everyone's gardens but mine. Jim, just rub it in--ha! I'm happy you are over the awful Covid.

I got all my hot peppers planted, and sowed seeds in a couple of pots--my usual trailing nasturtiums and some cute, short yellow cosmos. I don't dare sow cosmos in most of my flower beds because the quail love those seed. Lemon grass is planted, and only cucumber plants are still to be planted. Some of my hardy geraniums are starting to bloom--New Hampshire and Rozanne. The roses still stubbornly bide their time.

Carol, the snowball is a shrub, a viburnum, which are native to North America. I consider this variety of viburnum to be super healthy. I hope I don't have to eat my words about that. We shouldn't have fought that Revolutionary War, and we might have London Drug here with all those wonderful planters. I would say that the California migration to Idaho is at least 25 years old. In early 2005, this area was growing rapidly and the building boom only paused a bit for the Great Recession a few years later. Right now, there is a housing shortage making things even worse for new buyers and renters. And we certainly have our share of drought and fires. The first year our Hawaiian neighbors lived here we had a brush fire right across the street. Our neighbor had been a fire captain in Hawaii, so he jumped right in and helped the Bureau of Land Management fight that fire. Pretty strange.

Those are such beautiful roses, Kitty. I've always loved MIP.

Kristine, you and Azalea stay well. Diane

Evelyn and friends from the past. Come on big E.

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Kitty6aNY
    2 days ago

Good Morning, Rosie Ladies & Gents,

Sunshining today! ! It will be 75F today!

Time to weed/feed and seed lawns!

Diane,

Lovely Evelyn!!! So huge!!! Thank you tegatding MIP & Vicomtesse Decaux! I just like their names, Lol! If I can pronounce them! Ha, ha! I need a new obelisk for MIP-oh, dear! MIP , from Heirloom Roses, had been my fav for many years when I had it in CA-so huge & rich a bloom-I was so surprised-had never seen a bloom like it before. I realize it blooms really prolifically so I’ll let it climb this time on an obelisk in a central point of my yard. She’s supposed to be so fragrant that she‘d win prizes for it!

YAY-you got your peppers & seeds planted! So exciting! Love nasturms & Cosmos! Do you eat your nasturums-I hear they are edible? Geraniums blooms-photos? I love viburum…. some day I shall order one! Your Snowball is spectacular!

I’ve been watching Moulin Rouge and I think many of our garden plants & roses this spring are: (taken & altered from Moulin Rouge,):

”Spectacular, spectacular, no words in the vernacular,can describe our great plants!…

You must agree that’s excellent, and of top of our fee (to buy all this stuff!!!!!), You’ll be involved artistically, so exciting, we all stop & cheer, so delighting our gardens will be here for 50 years…… no words in the vernacular can descrbe our great seasonal plants, you’ll be dumb with wonderment! The hills are alive with the sounds of music!….” LOL!

2 days ago

Nanadoll, the newer catmints like Cats Meow are suppose to stand up better..I'm going try two Cats Meow catmints ... I'll let you know how they do compared to Walkers Low... They say its a bit smaller than Walkers Low ...I just planted them yesterday...We shall see...

https://gardeniaorganic.com/catmint-floppy-fix/

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 days ago

‘Cat’s Pajamas’ catmint is absolutely pathetic in my garden.

rosecanadian thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 days ago

Kristine, I'm thinking healthy thoughts for you and Azalea! I love that you were trying to solve my RdV mystery too and that you ended up buying other roses. Vicomtesse Decaux looks lovely, really beautiful. I'm surprised you were able to order. Last year ARE told me that they only shipped to OR in the winter and that I'd have to place my order before January to ensure shipment.

Such beautiful roses, everyone! I love the photos.

Mine are just starting. So far, it's only Archduke Charles and my not Tiene de Violetes that have several blooms. A couple other plants are opening their first bloom.

I'm really excited to see what Marianne does...she was planted last year and as a once boomer this will be her first bloom in my garden. She really filled in quickly in just one year from a band.

Munstead Wood opened one.

And Duchesse de Brabant opened her first, too.

rosecanadian thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 days ago

And the cheese stands alone.

Azalea has the Covid, poor kid.

Poor me to be the one cleaning up puke. Hopefully this is short lived. Day 3 for my husband a d he is feeling better. Maybe better enough to go out and water for me.

I just cant believe how careful I have been and to still end up with it in our home. Oh well, life goes on.

Jim, how long did you feel crummy?

I need to get my 2 new roses planted sometime soon

I was hoping for today but that may have to wait. It is suppossed to be 90 today so probably better to wait anyway.

Lady of Shalott and to the left is Easy Does It and vacant house in the background.

One of the sons got a letter from the city to come mow. He came and left again and no mowing.

He lives several hours away so who knows what his plan is.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 days ago

Oh Kristine! I’m so sorry to hear that! I hope you don’t get it and I really hope the rest of your family bounces back quickly!

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 days ago

librarian_gardner, enjoyed your photos!

Kristine LeGault , I felt bad with covid 3-4 days then it was gone... Enjoyed your photo also Kristine ....Hope your family feels better fast!

• Kitty6aNY
    2 days ago

Kristine, Bless your dear family & Azalea! Children are pretty resilient so maybe she will be over it soon. Wow! Lady of Shallot is huge, buds everywhere! And blooming up a storm! Ha, ha, Im just excited about seeing my “ buds & green healthy leaves,” and you have a blooming machine amazing display!!! Oh, I’m excited about Reine des Violet having 3 blooms all at once-Lol!

And I counted today 120 buds so far on big EDEN!!!! Little new Eden has 6 buds, ha! Red Eden has leaves!

FRIENDS,

Librarian has a thread called,”What rose is this? Could it be Reine des Violettes.” She has a gorgeous rose w/photos & I posted my Reine des Violettes photos, too. Take a peak…..

Today new photos of Reine des Violettes

small blooms on a 1 ft new rose plant.

Intenser color in evening than in middle of day…

Mary Rose has 20 buds!

Summer’s Romance has 40 buds

Cream Veranda

Plum Perfect buds, stunning leaves!!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Kitty - gorgeous blooms!! I'm so in love with your M.D. rose!!! And your peony bud is everything!!! Love your lilacs :) :) More new roses!! Awesome!! MIP is such a strongly beautiful rose...I hope they all do wonderfully for you. Kitty - you are so fun! :) :)

Jim - someone you can talk roses to!! That's a treasure!! Did you ask what rose it is...could it be Zephirine Drouhin? Oh what a shame...I've heard that you should never go to see your old home to see how the plants are doing. Thankfully you're able to bring the beauty to the new blank slate you have.

Diane - what?? A plant that doesn't grow for you like God is smiling on it. :) :) So you're getting lots planted that's good. Yeah, I hope that my snowball does well. :) :) I'm really glad you recommended it to me. And yours is unbelievable. Mine is about 6 inches tall and is doing well. Sigh, I love your yard...I wish I could stroll around it and see it in its glory. :)

Librarian - oh I love your DdB!!! Scrumptious!

Kristine - oh no. :( Poor Azalea and poor you! Maybe you could buy her something special on Amazon so she can feel a bit happier. I always hated it when my kids got sick. I felt so sorry for them. Hopefully it will leave your house soon. Man, your Lady of Shalott is fabulous!! You grow it SO well!

Kitty - yeah, I saw that thread that Librarian posted...but I have no clue. My goodness...your Eden sounds incredible!! I'm so excited to see the enormity of that many blooms!!! I love your RdV!! So luscious!! And look at all of those buds on your roses!!

yesterday

rosecanadian, I got to thinking my old neighbor sprayed my plants with weed poison once... I caught it on camera...Could it be? shes at it again with the new people? Miracle on the Hudson on the side of my old house still looked good...

Awesome rose photos! Really enjoying them... :-)

yesterday

Hallelujah! Azalea is like her normal self this morning after a rough night

I woke up with chest congestion. I did a home test and it says negative . So I guess a nasty cold so Crossing fingers that I can still avoid it.

Thanks for all of the well wishes

There is nothing worse than a sick little kid. At least she can tell me what she needs

Another glorious day! Hopefully Azalea will be up to going outside to water

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

Kristine, I'm glad Azalea is bouncing back, a tribute to young people's fantastic immune systems. I don't want to sound gloomy, but I've read in reliable sources that the home tests show many false negatives, so keep testing, just to be sure. I certainly hope you bounce back, too. I remember when my daughter was 17 (she had the chicken pox at five, a year before the vaccine came out), and she got shingles! Not common in youth, but boy did those shingles disappear fast. I had the blasted things about a year before the shingles vaccine came out, and I didn't bounce back so fast. Chicken pox is one those nasty diseases that sets you up for future infections. I'm so off topic. Get well!

Jim, I remember that episode with the off kilter neighbor. You were so smart to get her on camera. She definitely could be at it again. So glad you have your new place. Today, I finally sow my basil seed, and do other random, boring chores. It's going to be 91F--hot. But just in time for the weekend, it will be a lot cooler and do some raining. Isn't that how weather works? I never complain about rain, though, just lots of other things-ha. Like roses that refuse to bloom. Diane

Eglantyne from last year--this is ridiculous.

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

This thread is not updating.

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Wow. Looking through this thread makes me realize maybe Spring is actually here! My alliums are mostly done:

Sorry for the weird angle. I was too lazy to go out, so i took that pic through the window, lol. No roses blooming yet, but Bolero and Vanessa Bell are awfully close to popping! Maybe within a week I'll have blooms. Kristine, I'm hoping too that your household pulls through with only mild cases of that junk!! Love all the pics so much, and cheers my bloom hungry heart.

rosecanadian thanked Ashley Smith zone 5a
  • rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Ashley FL 9B
    yesterday

Not sure what those are Magpie, but wish I could grow whatever is in the center photo here!

rosecanadian thanked Ashley FL 9B
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    yesterday

@Ashley FL 9B They are Oriental Poppies :) the purples are bearded iris.

rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Ashley FL 9B
    yesterday

Stunning, Magpie.

yesterday

Thank you! Not pictured is how it's a messy heap on the ground because I should have staked it and I didn't, lol.

• Ashley FL 9B
    yesterday

Ssssshhhh! No one will ever know. ;)

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Jim - gasp!! Really? What a horrible neighbor!! Nasty!!

Kristine - oh that's such a relief!! Little kids getting sick just breaks my heart. I'm so glad Azalea is feeling more like her usual self. :)

AshleyS - Oh, I love alliums! Yours look great. :) :)

Magpie - I love purple irises!! And those poppies are WOWZA!! I love poppies. :) :)

LOL...yes, no one will know...and we who do know don't care. :)

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    19 hours ago

@Diane Brakefield - I’m getting really tired of Abraham Darby’s finicky ways. I finally got him to grow. And although I know he CAN give me this:

more often he gives me this:

Keep? or shovel?

rosecanadian thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    18 hours ago
    last modified: 18 hours ago

Personally I only keep roses, shrubs, plants that make me happy!

Lifes too short...lol

Its a decision only you can make noseometer......Good luck!

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b), nice photos!

Nice pic Ashley Smith ...

• Kitty6aNY
    17 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Are your Abe rose buds melting in the sun? Sometimes if too much heat-sun-buds will burn before opening-so if you-move it to a half shaded location it could endure the heat & buds won’t burn.

On the other hand, . My Abe was 2 years in ”too much shade… too much cool-so bloomed only a few blooms-didnt grow much- but very pretty blooms & no crinkled buds like yours. I moved it to my central T garden-6 hrs sun-not too hot in my NY climate—-my Abe already is happy growing better than ever!!!!!! I know my other English roses do well in that location.

Try a new location for Abraham Darby?

Carol, Thank you on MD, RdV & Eden & more. ! It is exciting to see all the new Bourbon roses bloom & Eden & others!!!!! Garden spectacular coming up in next to week with non-stop blooms!

Today it’s cool & drizzle rain all day & last night, right after I weed/feed yard & put out grass seed!!!! YIPEE! Just what I wanted-keep the ground most for awhile!!!!

Jim, Strange neighbor-glad you moved away!

Woohoo! Your gardens will be even more healthy at your new place-Yipee!

Kristine, Celebrate good times! Azalea is so resilient-already healthy & enjoying her days again! Hope yours passes quickly, too, as there is gardening to be done! Lol! Best Wishes!

Magpie, Lovely Irisis & poppies! Id love some of each!!!! Over time I may add more…

• Diane Brakefield
    16 hours ago

Nose, I'm afraid to post. My last long one never posted, but I can see it. It's been a full day now. Weird, but houzz is weird. I'd give Abe one more year and reevaluate him. I haven't done anything about mine, so he's still in place, and yours is better than my Abe is.

I'll write more later, but I want to see if this posts. Please let me know if you can see it. Diane

16 hours ago

Kitty6aNY, thats one of the main reasons I happily gave up my old house...lol

Ok here's pics of the front of the house I bought last July...

First pic is from when I first moved into the house...The grounds were not kept up by previous owner...

This is a recent pic below...I have been slowly getting the outside grounds into shape..lol

• Ashley FL 9B
    16 hours ago

TGIF rose friends. Dick Clark rose with a visitor today.

Jim, your place is shaping up! Sorry to hear the roses at your old place are a mess. I'm afraid to plant mine in the ground, in case I move. I'm too invested to leave them behind.

Diane, I see your Abe post.

• Diane Brakefield
    14 hours ago

Thanks, Ashley. I love your visitor on the beautiful Dick Clark rose. It will be a while before I have such visitors, and we don't have many out here in the hills.

Jim, I'm sure your neighbors are glad you moved in. You've done a great job in a short period of time. Your cute house deserves the landscape and plants you'll give it to set the house off.

I'll post more later now that I know things are working OK. Diane

13 hours ago

First bloom finally opened, winner: Harison's Yellow. Some photos from today:

12 hours ago

Oh and a new iris, isn't it gorgeous? And so fragrant, I can't think of any other flower that smells similar.

• Kitty6aNY
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 12 hours ago

Magpie, Love your bunny!!!! You have the most beautiful nature photos!! Your yrllow rose is beautiful & blooming, what is it’s name!!! I see your pansies & snaps & other pretty flowers. What are their names?

Jim, Nice manicured lawn!!! Lovely beds ready for roses? Nice job! Cant wait to see your bloomin’ roses!

You don't want to see before photos of my home landscapes when I bought it-way toooooo gastly-Lol! So greatful it’s green grass & rose beds now!!!!!

Diane, Love your ABE. Since I moved mibe & kept it-we will see if it’s pretty this summer w/ nice blooms -like your wouod be fantastic! Yours are always the most amazibg prolific bloomibg big bushes!!!

@Ashley FL 9B Lovely Dick Clark & visitor!

12 hours ago

Thank you, Kitty. The yellow rose is "Harison's Yellow", the other flowers are snapdragons, verbascum, baptisia, violas, California bluebells, and a bush of nepeta.

• Kitty6aNY
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

Rainy drizzly day! Cleaned house all day & surprise, my new La Reine bloomed!

newbie, La Reine, has 7 buds…. some blooming!

La Reine, from Heirloom Roses, own root, surprises to see so many buds on a small newbie! Fragrant, pink-under tones lilac, repeat bloom, one if the first hybrid perpetuals!

I’m really loving my 3 new OGR w/vibrant pink BIG old fashioned blooms!!! (La Reine, Mme Dubost, Reine des Violettes!!!)

More blooms today on Reine des Violettes!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    3 hours ago

Nose - I got rid of mine about 10 years ago. :) :) I'm with Jim...if it doesn't bring your enough joy...then replace it with something that does. :) :)

Kitty - I'm glad you got some rain and cooler weather. Grow grass, grow! :) You did really well in choosing RdV...those blooms are so full and luscious!!

Diane - absolutely gorgeous Abe!!! I don't know how you grow all of your roses so well...incredible!!

Jim - it's wonderful that you're beautifying the neighborhood!! What are you going to put in the dirt along your fence? Flowers, grass, trees?

AshleyFl - I love your Dick Clark...it looks wonderful with the sunlight on the petals...mmmmmm :) And look at the eyes on that butterfly!!

Magpie - I saw that on another thread...Harrison's Yellow has taken the lead spot in your yard. :) :) Awwwwww...that bunny is so darn cute!! Look at how well your snaps growing in the bricks is doing!! And I love the bee...she's all laden with pollen. :) Really nicely colored bearded iris...mmmmm

• Diane Brakefield
    3 hours ago

Magpie, I love that bunny, too. And the cute snaps in the stone wall are pretty cool. They look very healthy. Congrats to your Harrison's Yellow. See, you beat me. No blooms here yet, but lots of colored buds.

Carol, thanks, and it won't be long. Colette is in a battle with Ebb Tide like last year, but Augusta Luise is actually closer to blooming than any of them. And she was pruned brutally so Ray could remove the big holly growing right behind her. So pruning has not slowed the roses compared to the non pruned. The two non pruned Julias are huge--one is now over 8 feet and the other approaches 8 feet. It's hilarious. Meanwhile, I'm on my hands and knees cutting off hundreds of tree suckers from these out of control suckering trees. This will be at least the third time around. Not fun. After our nice hot weather, it's storm and cool off time for the big weekend. You are so good to compliment us all while you wait for those roses and perennials to kick in. How are they coming along now? And what's your weather doing?

Jim, Magpie's snaps growing out of the wall remind me of your pansies that grew out of a crack in the sidewalk. We didn't want you to touch them--they was good luck and a message bearer. Do you remember that pansy?

Kitty, your OGRs are just beautiful. La Reine is so impressive for such a young plant. Diane