SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

Help me design the smallest up-to-code full bathroom in this bedroom

venexiano
2 years ago

I need to add a bathroom in a 10'10"x16' 5.5" bedroom to make it ensuite. See pictures below. Space is small, so I am trying to carve it out of a closet. By Florida code, toilet needs 16" per side (from its midline, so it takes a space of 32" minimum) and 24" in front for leg space. Beside this, I can do the bathroom as small as I want (Florida people, correct me if wrong, but my contractor said that). To save space, I am planning to have a in-wall-tank wall-mounted 19" deep toilet, the smallest out there with still a good size for sitting (sitting area is not small at all, I checked measurements). This sets the minimum bathroom size to be 32" x 75", since I am assuming I put a 32"x32" shower, a floating sink with no cabinets underneath, so 32" for the shower plus 24" for the legs plus 19" gives 75" (see AutoCAD drawings below). I could save 2" with a 32"x30" shower but I dont think its necessary.

I have some questions:

1) I am planning to put 12" cabinets above the toilet, do you see problems with that, since toilet has no tank? If I hang cabinets high enough i don't think the head would hit them.

2) I am thinking to put glass shelves on the left of the floating mirror (like picture below but on the left)

3) In order to limit the space the bathroom steals from the room, can I make the wall (which separates room from bathroom) 2.5" thick by rotating 2x4 studs (so 1.5" stud + 2x0.5" drywalls) or just using 2x2s? Alternatively, what do you suggest in order to have a thin separating element? Maybe just a fixed thin wooden separating element in correspondence of the shower (1"?) and 1.5" door made of 2 elements, one in correspondence of the toilet and one in correspondence of the sink?

4) can i fit a pocket door in the 2.5" wall with 2x2 or 2x4 rotated studs? I dont think so. Which other options do I have?

5) Would it be better to keep straight with that wall separating the bathroom and bedroom, and make the walk-in closet bigger instead of having a corner? However, that would add the extra cost of moving the main entrance door to the room.

6) Can pipe under floating sink be done in a way not to affect the 24" clearance distance as by code?

thank you very much

ZOOM:

Comments (31)