SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittyvb

Ugly Fieldstone and Mortar Wall - need help with how to improve looks

kittyvb
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've got an eyesore of an 80ft retaining wall in our backyard. It has been assessed multiple times for structure stability and has been deemed quite sound (it's nearly 2 feet deep)
I'm looking for others ideas and options that are not cost prohibitive (replacement would be nearly 100k due to engineering costs and demo)
Is it possible to stucco? Lime wash/mineral paint it?
I'm going to power wash it this spring and attempt to acid scrub the efflorescence. Even then, however, I don't like how it blends with my other design plans. House is a mid century modern and we're trying to blend a contemporary look into the yard. Once the wall is cleaned up I will be adding a thick planting of native grasses and such. But I don't think you can hide this monster with plants alone. Attached picture shows my temporary wildflower planting and our new boulder wall with plantings
*UPDATE: well now I feel a bit silly. The consensus is to leave it alone, and that's what I'll do. This spring will be filled with planting (I have a big project on my hands, apparently) I may see if I can do just the slightest amount of "cleaning" - don't worry, it will be very strategic and tested in an unseen corner first. In places where there is room for footings, I'll include some contemporary trellis to train some native vines (Cardinal Flower is on my list).

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022