SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esch_julie

Update 90s home exterior

esch_julie
2 years ago

Moved into this 90s house and need new roof, gutters, windows. Since we’re doing all this, figured we may as well get rid of the puke brown exterior. Any thoughts on how to update this 90s house? Paint color? To paint or not paint brick? Thanks in advance!

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

IMO remove the shutters to start then a color that actully works with the brick . Is that all brick it is hard to tell what that material is on the left .Update can be many things what exactly do you mean? IMO no grids on the new windows all the trim whiter a new front door without the pediment above it would all make this a bit more modern. All those hedges taken out and replaced but thta will be after you have a plan for the house style. So provide up with more info and maybe even pics of houses you like , post the pics in a comment it usually works better than trying to add to the original post .Just for reference if still trying to keep this a bit more classice I love this color with brick but not very modern .

esch_julie thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Margaret Carroll Interiors
    2 years ago

Agree with Patricia Colwell Consulting comments! to modernize this...keep the windows simple and clean. Since you are redoing the windows anyway...can you go to black trim? or are you only replacing the front of the house windows?

I think changing out the pediment and trim at the door is critical for an updated look. easy things would be new numbers and lighting.

Is this vinyl siding? are you switching this material to a Hardie type material or are you painting the vinyl? Would you think about painting your brick? I follow these guys for inspo on Instagram...https://romabio.com/masonry/

make sure that you have someone help you render the front - so you can get the roof, downspout, paint color just right.

Good luck with this! Post some afters when youre done or comment again if you need more specific help!

• Related Discussions

Help! Need ideas for updating my early 90's Colorado home

Q

Comments (1)
    My sister had a very generic back yard/patio. A few years after moving in they decided to re-do the entire back area. She had 3 landscape firms draw up plans, explaining that she wanted each to provide their best ideas and bid on the project. She picked the one that best fit her needs, but did end up incorporating some ideas from all 3.
    ...See More

90's home needs exterior update!

Q

Comments (12)
    @HU-187528210 I appreciate your thoughtfulness! We are very open to the style - modern, transitional, traditional. In the end, I don't want to push something that won't work with the existing features. This home is located in Colorado but I'm from Louisiana and Georgia and love the southern influences. I tend to lean toward neutral palettes. I like a polished appearance that's not contrived (if that makes sense!).
    ...See More

Please help with exterior update on 90's stucco house!

Q

Comments (1)
    Here's a house similar in style to yours... The colour of the stucco in much lighter than yours although not white. I think you need a bit of contrast with your white windows, this is a nice example.
    ...See More

update this 90’s brick house!

Q

Comments (6)
    For a simple update, I suggest you paint all the trim white, the shutters and front door a charcoal grey. But that is simple enough to visualize so I'm showing a kit and caboodle option with larger front steps and improve the landscaping and walkway (you can also do these updates in the simple option) .
    ...See More
  • esch_julie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Im tbinking specifically painting the cedar siding (or replacing) with a color that goes with the brick that would also mean cleaning up the brick so thats its all the same uniform color. I would consider painting brick, too

The brick on the left seems like it has some efflorescence on it, as it is much grayer than the other brick on the rest of the house. I do like a more classic look, like the picture above, but the brick doesn’t match and the brown color of the cedar siding is awful. I’ll try to post a few more pics. Appreciate the feedback!

My hope was to just replace the upstairs windows this year and do the downstairs in the future, but I’ve considered black as well. I do like a more classic look and I’m worried black may be too trendy?

• esch_julie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• esch_julie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• stiley
    2 years ago

Your home reminds me a bit of Chris Loves Julia's Idaho cottage; it was a 90s build. They painted it black (plus other things like change windows and stone) and it looks amazing.

esch_julie thanked stiley
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

I would pick up the color of the brick for the siding and contrast it with darker gray trim.

esch_julie thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I don't mind the brick and I think you could pick up a hue from the brick for the siding color and that would be a huge improvement over the current siding color. I don't have the photoshop skils that Beverly does, but I'd be curious to see how the house would look with the original brick, a lighter gray hue from the brick for the siding, and a white color for the trim.

Alternatively I do think your house would look pretty nice with a lime washed or masonry painted brick with the siding in the same color and a darker trim. I don't have any personal experience with which are the right products to avoid maintenance nightmares of painted brick, but I'm sure the experts here can chime in on that.

esch_julie thanked pricklypearcactus
  • esch_julie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, all! I do like the look of painted brick on other houses but am a little nervous to do it! i think cleaning up the windows and removing shutters is great, and I would love to find a complementary siding color to go with the brick. The grays presented above look great- I never would have thought of that. I’ll have to start perusing for ideas!

• PRO
    Legacy Roofing Northwest
    2 years ago

Don't mess with the bricks and congratulate yourself every year that you don't have to maintain them. Pick a lighter and darker color from the bricks for walls and trim, then a fashion color for the actual door. Your roof will be the longest-lasting style choice so, regardless of installation order, make that decision before you finalize anything else. You will find this article worthwhile: https://www.davinciroofscapes.com/blog/color-cast-of-brick-or-stone/.

Obviously, landscaping is challenging in the winter, but consider a narrow evergreen tree/bush (Italian Cypress?) on either side of the bay windows, between the two narrow windows. A broader evergreen, maybe Camellia Japonica, could accent the more blank walls in the foreground.

Best wishes on your project!

esch_julie thanked Legacy Roofing Northwest
  • houssaon
    2 years ago

It is the siding color that is throwing the look off. I would go with a light warm gray. Remove the shutters on the double windows. The two thin windows on the first floor could use properly sized shutters. I colored the pediment detail out, but it should stay.

esch_julie thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

that gold/tan is all wrong for the color of your brick.

the brick appears to be in the taupe/pink end of the spectrum.

let me show you some photoshops w/colors along side the brick so you can see the diff.

(and lose the pediment thing over the front door) shutters need to go as well.

Here's a black door w/some of the taupe/pink colors on the right

taupe/gray, white and soft charcoal on the left.

I'd have to see a close up of the brick, but these could work.

these are more in the taupe/gray range. you'll have to get samples, but these should be much better

gave you some other front door colors. I actually like the soft blush color door

these are lavender grays and would also look beautiful. if you did, say, Mystical Shade on your siding, try the perle Noir on the front door, fascia trim, and Pure White for the other trim. Pair this with a charcoal roof tile. gorgeous.

I like the dove grays, blush tones, taupe grays, and charcoals and blacks

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Beth, I can see the pink undertone in the brick but I don't think you want to highlight that. The darker grey that has that rosey tone is more than enough.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

I like your existing shutters color. I would refresh them. As for brick I would lime wash brick or Romabio painting and then go with light color for body.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

Or with more contrast

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

beverly, not even with a dusky blush front door? I didn't mean to use the pink on the trim or siding, just a slight accent.

I was going off of this color palette

you think that one blush color would be too much if the siding was done in a grayer white? or even a dovetail gray?

I wish she would post a better shot of the brick so we could see the colors.

What I meant w/the pink/taupe tones was to use that shade of gray or white rather then a yellow based gray or white. That golden color just does not work. neither would a yellowish white.

Those pink colors I posted don't look that pink once they're painted.

Would you rather the door be one of these gray colors?

Eider White is probably a better white than alabaster, because of the yellow.

I think this color scheme may work.

I was trying to convey this darker trim/siding color

I like this bronze/raisin contrast color and a whiter white

esch_julie thanked Beth H. :
  • esch_julie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Closer pic of the brick

• esch_julie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

The prob (my opinion here) with 1990s architecture is they just kinda threw together all these different elements - a gazillion different finishes, textures, colors, rooflines all thrown together on a single house. Your house is actually quite nice - they didnt go TOO hog wild! Still youve got a lot going on with the 6 or 7 gable ends and different sized windows and odd little door Keep it simple, for the siding just pick a midtone brown-gray out of your brick, choose a complementary color for trim and a 3rd color for the door + surrounding door trim and the decorative header piece. Please dont lime wash! Thats a very desireable variegated gray brick whereas slapping white over anything and everything and making it look fakey-aged is a fad that has already jumped the shark. There is a place for whitewashing, but that brick is not it. Why add more work than there needs to be!

esch_julie thanked Debbie Downer
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

thanks julie. I see it now.

I gave you at least 20-25 colors/combos that would look better on your siding. (and trim and door colors)

all you can do is grab some samples (please prime over the gold color first) and test them out

esch_julie thanked Beth H. :
  • esch_julie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I greatly appreciate all the thoughtful insight! lots to ponder- thanks again, all