SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_422368488

End of Feb / 1st week of March 2022

HU-422368488
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

And so you think tilling ruins the soil:

(Source: Republic of Buryatia press service)

(Source : AtomicArchive.com)

Rick

Comments (70)

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

Pre apocalypse I got sinus infections once or twice a year, if it was really bad I'd suck it up & go get a z pack /steroid combo. As Moni said, drink lots of water, get lots of rest, & take time for yourself.

Kim, I know a lot of long time gardeners had issues with BC this year, even those who always promoted them. I think the the 2020 lockdown impacted supply, & the onslaught of new gardeners made demand skyrocket, & the 2 together caused companies to have to cut corners. Either inferior quality, lower quantities, slower delivery, or a combination of those & other issues.

Our church caught fire last night. From the pics they showed during our class today (we're still doing zoom church) & the initial email, at least half the building will have to be demolished. But no one was injured (we have a lot of homeless who camp behind the building) and none of the neighbors' properties were damaged, so it could have been much worse. But it looks like our grand plans for starting a community garden will be on hold for a bit longer.

HU-422368488 thanked jlhart76
  • Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Oh Jen
    I am so sad to hear about the fire. That’s awful. I have had problem with them for years since 2018 not growing true to type and poor germination. I think many new gardeners attribute it to being new, operator error. But it was consistent issues and only three vendors. I am very careful what I buy from bc and I don’t bother with tt and mig.
    I prefer SHPC and botanical interests. I wish I could remember the name of the company I used when I was at Reiner. They had huge bulk pkgs and great germination

HU-422368488 thanked Kim Reiss
  • Related Discussions

Whoopie! Assorted Odds 'N Ends Feb 1st

Q

Comments (25)
    Neil and I went over to that OTHER house and piddled around today. I cleaned the refrigerator and cooked a whole chicken. Trying to get acquainted with the layout of the kitchen. Tomorrow I'm going to clean up all the plaster dust and sit in the living room and try my best to design some shelves, and a contraption for the BIG screen TV for Neil. I picked up hamburgers and we ate in the sun room. Neil bagged up garbage. He is anxious to get moved in. I want to just get settled, don't much care where. I love Katrina's bathroom. The motion light switch works great. I took some pictures and measured our bathroom. It looks pitiful now and I don't have much of a clue about how I'm going to use the space. I bought some new books on decks and patios, bathrooms, kitchens, gardens. I tried out my new Home Depot card. I got the thing because this sweet little old man was so dear and I thought I would just cut it up when it came. When I signed up I bought 2 battery chargers and several rechargeable batteries and got them all for 5 bucks after the promotional percentage was factored in. I only use my Visa and long ago cut up all other cards. Now, I'll cut up the HD card, pay the bill when it comes and be done with it. Would that I were as handy with tools and building as Michelle. My sister can do anything. She built a beautiful fireplace surround and mantle. I can usually design it but I can't build it. Our furry little weather forecaster, General Lee, saw his shadow, bless his heart. The whole month of February is supposed to be mild, go figure. Talk about screwing up spring, our azaleas and dogwoods won't know when to bloom.
    ...See More

Daily Support, Mon. February 1st thru Sun.. Feb. 7th

Q

Comments (35)
    Good afternoon all, Thank you SO much for the continued thoughts and prayers for SP. The hoof trimmer was out again this morning and we got SP and the rest of the herd out into the pasture. Casey was kicking up her heels in a big way (maybe to encourage SP) and SP did not do that but she went and stayed out until 2:00 pm. She has not layed down once yet today but she must be tired. She is in her stall now so I imagine a nap is in order. It is chilly (21) but sunny here today. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that this snow is way south of us. It would be great hardship for both P and me if we were to get clobbered with snow right now. DH left yesterday morning to deliver in Virginia! I could not believe he was going. He got to NJ last night and then into Maryland today before he decided to pull it over and stop. I just hope he is at a good truck stop with the anmenities....like hook up for tv for the super bowl....good lord that would upset him! I am feeling encouraged still. SP is very, very lame and it's painful to watch her walk but it's the only way for her to get better. She takes baby step when she needs to but the thing is that she is doing it and has not given up. The vet has likened her pain to having all of your fingers slammed or crushed with a vise or in a big door. We all know how that feels - that throbbing endless pain. She says it ten times worse in the feet. The hoof is very much like a fingernail. My sweet brave girl.
    ...See More

SS Support, Monday, March 26th - Sunday, April 1st

Q

Comments (28)
    TGIF!!! Suzanne, VFTW is "Vote for the Worst" a website dedicated to controlling who gets kicked off American Idol. Thousands of dedicated website devotees vote for the worst singer. It's worked. Apparently, they claim to have kept Taylor Hicks on board, but I really like his singing! QOD: Tonight is a "Ladies of Laughter" fund raiser to benefit scholarship programs for the non-profit I volunteer for. We thought we might sell about 100 tickets to this comedy show/tricky tray dinner, but we sold out...289 tickets! Yahooooo!!! Should be fun. My sister is driving up with my oldest niece and stepdaughters are going to. We are looking forward to having a great time, followed by a PJ party at my place tonight. Marci, hope you and your mom have a better weekend. [[[[[[[[[[Donna]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] Besh, I also struggled these last few days. Last night was a BYO place, and I had two glasses of wine with dinner. (Raeanne, it was the wine you sent along with my birthday package....excellent!). Chilled out fine and no headache this morning, but I don't need the calories. It's gettting very tough for me to just maintain. Life gets a bit more challenging once you turn the big five-oooo! Patti, hope you and Dave are feeling better. I did, in fact, drink that wine with my family on New Years' Eve. It was delish, thank you! Hope everyone has a relaxing and safe weekend. Take care, eat healthfully, and NEVER NEVER GIVE UP! DeeMarie
    ...See More

Call the Midwife - RP Book Discussion Feb 1st

Q

Comments (24)
    Well Vee....my brother and husband, both professional engineers who hated English in high school, are really enjoying Call the Midwife, the tv series, anyway. I am quite sure they won't read the books, however, unless the midwife convent turns out to be a secret spy society that shortened WW2 or produced female James Bonds. We were all born in 1957-59 though so find the time period fascinating and both guys were present during pre-natal classes, births and have been and continue to be very involved dads. My younger brother who made the dating application? His daughter is still with the guy who passed it (he must have answered the hockey question correctly ) and its been five years now. LOL
    ...See More
  • AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

The squash thing is interesting, Kim. I bought some carrots from BC a long time ago, they sent me a letter and new seed packs saying the originals weren't true to type. I wasn't impressed with the replacements either, but they gave me a gift certificate as well as new seeds. I thought their customer service was pretty good. I don't buy tomatoes from them, but I save them for last in case I realize I'm out of something and can use free shipping. They always sucker me in to some unusual thing, which would be an experiment anyway.

Jen, I'm so sorry about your church.

There seems to be a sinus infection/cough disease going around. Daughter either can't get over it or is getting reinfected. They gave me strong steroids in the hospital, which caused my blood sugar to go up. I don't know why steroids come with antibiotics these days. Pre covid they didn't give me any for pneumonia I had.

I have ordered some probiotic pills as I've had so many digestive issues. I would prefer to get them from kombucha or fermented foods, but that hasn't been enough. I read somewhere they don't do any good in pill form,but I am desperate.

Where's Danny?

I could ramble on, but I won't. So, instead of just a week, have a good week.

HU-422368488 thanked AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
  • Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Amy you got the mail on the head. Recurring cough sinus thing. I have had it 10x in last year. I never contacted anyone about the seed issues except tt and Mary’s. I never got a response. I should have made the others aware at least. I have heard mig is not easy cs. I will stick with who I know is good. Unless they let me in like the 80 yo tomatoes seeds.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

I should really check my post better.
    Nail on the head and then lure me in not let. Also the squash thing was a sad eye opener. I have 1000’s of squash seeds saved. But I keep buying new ones anyway lol.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Kim, Victory has lots of heirloom tomatoes, well heirloom everything. SESE is great. I usually buy from Pinetree and Fedco, too.

Here's my question. Y'all are organizing seeds. Suppose you have something like kale where some varieties are better for fall planting. Do you put them in a different place? Do you put things in alphabetical order? I have a drawer of warm season and a drawer of cool season, which works pretty good for vegetables except for the fall thing. And they may still be STARTED at the same time, so should they be in date order? Can't wrap my head around it.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Amy I organize by families and then Flowers and herbs each have their own Box.
    Some people separate by when to plant. That would not work for my brain.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Jennifer the hardening off process is why I chose winter sowing this year. It’s such an easy way to do it. I can not believe I forgot about it for a few years. Next year I will be more organized about it.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

I was wondering about Danny too

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    2 years ago

Kim, I agree about winter sowing. I hadn't considered it for vegetables--but it works good for that?

Jennifer, well now I can share the ridiculous mistake I made when planting seeds Feb. 15, though it's a long story. No idea how I managed this. I had a flat of soil all ready to plant. Then we had company coming for dinner; I had to start fixing dinner. So I put the flat inside one of my grow cart trays and put another one on top, to keep the soil out of the light, hoping it would stay damp until I had time to get back to it. Meanwhile, wondered why I wasn't seeing some plant labels for things I was sure I'd planted. Couple days later uncovered the prepared flat and to my chagrin there were half a dozen very unhappy, sickly, and yellowish seedlings. So I had obviously planted SOMETHING in that tray. That's a do-over for sure. Maybe I'll start tomatoes in that one--after all, there are 30 empty cells in it.

My seeds are organized like yours are, HJ. I don't have near the quantity that many of the others do. AND I was worried because my Ashe County pimentos weren't germinating, and I was thinking I was supposed to grow them for you. (They have now germinated, tho). Then when you mentioned starting tomatoes, it came to me--it was EGG Yolk I'm supposed to start, not Ashe County. Whew. All is good.

I have discovered it's all a lot easier when one isn't growing much. Brilliant! The only flowers I'll be growing are zinnias, cosmos, and sunflowers--and those direct sown. Out to plant onions right now. I will be hardening off just like you, HJ.

Jen, I was SO sorry to hear about the church fire. Do you all have a game plan for what's next? The church I attend(ed since Covid), had a major flood in 2019. The nave was repaired the first year, but the rest of the church is just now getting fixed (it's a large church--large, that is, in Wagoner terms).

Amy, ignored your "Almost Eden" baiting, but caved and ordered several things from BC.

Blessings.

HU-422368488 thanked Nancy RW (zone 7)
  • slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Well, I thought that I had better stay home today and start some seeds. It seems as though I have been planning that for 2 weeks, and some how keep putting it off.

I checked plants in Greenwood yesterday, they were junk, all had been frozen, and may not survive. I picked up some plants at Ace hardware, even ask at check out if the price was correct, when I got ready to check out they would not let me have them for the price on the cart. I then went to Walmart, the price was too high, and the plants were in really bad shape, so I did not get any of them either. It is probably better this way anyway, because I have more seeds than I know what to do with, although I really would liked to have more onions, but I will probably fine more onions in a few days.

I really have a heavy heart about all the junk that is happening around the world. I think 99 percent of our problems are caused by greed.

HU-422368488 thanked slowpoke_gardener
  • Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Larry I agree. Greed is a driving force

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Yes, Kim, I set here depressed because I cant make up my mind on what to plant because I have so many seeds. Many people on earth have little food, no seeds to plant and no land to plant on. Some of the people are even in bomb shelters not knowing what will happen to them and their loved ones. It is not like a neighbor can go to the aid of another neighbor, because they are all in the same boat. It may be that prayer is the best hope. I remember the fear of the Cuban missile crisis, this seems worse.

On a lighter note, I really do have too many seeds. I really dont need more than 6 kinds of peppers and tomatoes.

We have to do some major changes in the next 2 weeks. Madge's daughter and grand daughter want to come for a visit near the end of this month,and we need the center bedroom, that is the one I have all my seed starting junk in. We can make the visit work, I may have to sleep in my recliner, or go but a bunch of plants after they leave.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Larry I am sitting here looking at my pitiful mess of a garden/yard frozen in time. So much to do and still I sit and stare. Stuff to plant stuff to tidy stuff to trash. So much to do. I am selling my trailer I just bought from my brother. I had one offer of handyman service instead of cash. That would have been awesome if I didn’t need cash. I could get a lot done for $500 trade.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Kim, I feel for you, I would not want to be starting out in life the way things are now. I guess that when I started out things were not great either, but I was lucky, I always had a job. Many of my jobs stunk, but they put food on the table. I see so many "help wanted" signs now. I did not see signs like that when I was young.

I read your progress, as you make headway towards your dream, and am happy for you, it reminds me of the homes I have had in the past. Making a home is so much fun, but so much work, no way could I do it now.

I just came in from repairing the seat on my RTV. I will rest a while and then plant some seeds in potting soil. It is so hard to cull out the seeds that you just dont have room for, no matter how bad you want to plant them.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

Cliff & I went truck shopping today, only to find out there are no trucks out there. At least, not with our specifications, main one being an 8 foot bed. Plan is to put a fuel tank gizmo (the name escapes me at the moment) on it so we don't have to buy gas for the tractor all the time in little jugs. So if we get a truck with those baby beds, we'll basically have no space for hauling anything. Only ones we found with our requirements were a 20 year old truck for $100k, or a beater that looked like it might get us home before dying. So our plans are on hold & we'll go look again in a week or 2.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Larry my plan was to be married and settled by now. Homemaking, gardening, preserving, cooking and foster kids. I believe my time is close. I hope so because I am weary of waiting.

I worked in the yard today it was so beautiful.
    Jen I have noticed vehicles are in short supply.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Jen, you are talking my language now, except I would probably get the junk. I was look for a truck a few years ago, and ran across an old rental truck that had been rented to a concrete company. It looked like the end of a hard winter, but I bought it anyway, mainly because it had a 1000 # lift gate (Tommy lift) on the back, had to pay $5500 for it, which I felt was too much, but I have driven it over 5 years and only put a spark plug and a battery in it.

I to am wanting to be able to carry more fuel for the tractor. I have an old auxiliary fuel tank with a hand pump that was given to me. I hope to make the tank where I can lift it in and out of the truck with my tractor, and just use it to bring the off road diesel home and lift it out of the truck. If I can't get the tank and pump repaired at the right price, I plan on buying a 55 gal drum to put fuel in. If I go the drum rout I can use the lift gate to lower it, I will still have to use the tractor some because I am not man enough to roll a drum of fuel anymore. You can buy chain by the bucket at Harbor freight, and grade 5 or 8 bolts at Tractor Supply and make about any kind of harness you need. I have hooks on my tractor buckets just for a chains. If you don't have chain hooks on your tractor bucket, I bet you will have soon. I use mine all the time. I have mine made to where I can let the chain hang over the front, or the back of the bucket ( you get a little more lifting power handing over the back, a little more reach hanging over the front.)

Kim, being alone did not fit me very well. Madge and I were about 62 and 66 when we got married. We are both glad we found each other. We did not have a lot, but we had enough to set up house keeping and start over. I bought a used mobile home, and we are still in it. We don't try to keep up with the Jones's, but we do try to stay out of debt. I don't think you need a lot to be happy.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Larry. Exactly. You are a perfect example of hope to those of us that do desire to be married again. One of my dear friends met her husband at 60. I don’t desire huge or fancy just comfortable and simple.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Jen, I wont try ro give you advice, but I will try to show a few things that works well for me.

This is my truck with the lift gate. The RTV is too large to fit in the back of my pickup, but the lift will lift one end of the RTV, it weighs close to a ton.

At this time I haul my diesel in 5 gal plastic cans, and they always want to slide to the front of the truck bed where it is hart for me to get them out. I dont like a fuel can to be lose in the bed anyway. so I fixed a chain at the back to keep the cans from going forward. I thread the chain through the can handles, and drop a pin in the other side of the truck bed. I can easily pull the pins and remove the chain if it is in the way.

I am afraid to try to show more, I always have a tough time posting pictures. With this set up I can probably haul 5 or 6 can at a time and they will not slide or fall over. I know this is just an old junky work truck, but it sure serves me well, except at the gas pump.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Jen, Ron says to go to the carfax website and search for long bed trucks.

Somehow, over about 3 years, I think I bought about a dozen varieties of collards. More than that of kale. I can't grow that many in a season unless I don't grow tomatoes (blasphemy). maybe I'll put them in pots out front. I just want to know what it's like. I did get Yellow cabbage collards this year. A mild collard, that it seems like tolerated heat and cold, but I haven't grown it in awhile and forget any details except I liked it.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

I ordered some of the yellow cabbage collards based on your recommendation, Amy. I'll let you know what we think.

We ran to town and picked up six thornless blackberry bushes from a fellow gardener.

We're another old people getting together example, Larry. I was 66--and had been oh so happily single for 30 years. So that was a surprise, not only to me, but to everyone who knew me. And yes, we don't have a lot, either, and our wants are few. We have too much house here--and too much yard. . . I don't know what we'll do one of these days. I'd be just as happy on a large city lot with a trailer, and know GDW would too, except for his shop! LOL

I'm happy to have the onions in--reminds me of square foot gardening. The bed's 4 feet wide, but I only used about 1/3 of it for the onions. Next third is planted in carrots with damp cardboard over them. And beets are soaking, to be planted tomorrow. I'm excited, especially for the beets, since they're such a wonderfully nutritious veggie, and one we both like. At the end of our 4 raised bed area is the fifth bed that runs horizontally across one end of the other four. It's pretty wise--from 5-8 feet. Asparagus at one end, comfrey and tansy at the other, walking onions. I think I'll put the blackberries in there, too, and maybe remove the comfrey and tansy. This is an easy year for planting those beds. No added soil necessary, just a bit of mulch--and suprisingly few weeds. I am happy! Summer squash, cucumbers, winter squash, tomatoes and peppers--I think that's about it. I haven't yet started the tomatoes. I'm sort of tickled about that. I suppose I'll do it when it gets chilly this week.

Good luck on finding something, Jen. I wish you didn't need to find one right now--it's crazy.

I think Danny's helping a lot with his local Wild Ones Chapter. Know that helps keep him busy. And I'm helping with a local group and with a friend's church, so I'm keeping busy, too, and loving it. I look forward to seeing Eileen and Amy and their hubbies once it gets warmer, and look forward to seeing Eileen and Larry's house!

Off to fix supper TTFN.

HU-422368488 thanked Nancy Waggoner
  • hazelinok
    2 years ago

Hi Friends.

Rick got the potatoes in.

I got the onions in.

Done!

All tomatoes and tomatillos have been started now.

All cool season stuff must be kicked off the light shelf once these tomatoes sprout.

I started double the plants that I need. If they all sprout, I don't know what I'll do.

I really do need to make a list of things to do each day now that it's March. I'm sorta like Dawn in the way that I like to step outside and see/feel what needs to be done. However, the way my life is right now, that's not a wise way to live. For me. At this time. Oh, I long for that, though....

Nancy's beets make me ask....am I the only one here who has beeturia? I think around 14% of the population has it. From what I understand, it's in people with low stomach acid. Also, from what I understand, people with blood type A have low stomach acid.

These are interesting things....

Beets are the one veggie I've been reluctant to eat even before the horrifying (and nearly ER trip) discovery of beeturia.

Pickled beets always freaked me out and I refused to eat them. I did learn that roasted beets are quite good.

I read everyone's posts, but no comments for now. The seedlings are outside getting used to cooler temps and I need to bring them in.

HU-422368488 thanked hazelinok
  • Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Jennifer I have never heard of beeturia
    I have to see about this

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Oh yes everyone I know gets pink pee after eating beets. Thank goodness it’s not an issue. I thought this was something serious lol. I love beets and if I ever get them to grow over here I will make yummy ferment

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

Blue berries can change the pee color too... :)

HU-422368488 thanked OklaMoni
  • slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Neighbor and I went to Poteau OK and bought 350 # of seed potatoes and 100# of fertilizer. They did not buy new garden seeds again this year. We were told that the seeds were so high that they would have to sell them around $3.50 an oz, that is still cheaper than you can buy them off the rack. They were out of purple hull peas, should have 200# come in next week. Some of this stuff is going to get hard to find, and be expensive. Bulk fertilizer has already gone up, so food prices will continue to climb.

We may have to go back next week and buy more purple hull seed, neighbor already has about 40 or 50 bushel of purple hull sold for this year, and it is not even planting time. I already have enough pea seeds saved for this year, and may have to save enough seed for next year.

I need to get my tractors ready for work, we need to start planting potatoes soon, but the ground is too wet. I tried planting some on top of the ground and covering with hay last year, but it did not work very well because of our crazy weather.

I am so tired, we stopped at an auction, went out to eat, and stopped to check on a couple of friends, I just cant stand well enough to be at an auction.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

No, beeturia is not serious. And it doesn't only affect the pee but don't want to get into the TMI arena.

(and it's not tinged pink--it's bright red),

It's funny, though, no one else in my family has the issue. Just me. Maybe my Dad did, but he never said anything. It's possible Ethan does, but he has never eaten a beet to know.

I've not had that issue with blueberries or other foods, that I recall. Just beets.

Betalain pigments, I guess.

It's funny that it affects all of us here.

Larry, I'm tired too.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Jennifer, this topic brought back a funny memory for me. A few years ago I had been passing blood, I thought that I should be keeping an eye on the problem, so I was. After using the bathroom I checked to see if I would live or die, my heart nearly stopped at what I saw, with me thinking "I will be dead before I could get to the hospital". I shortly remembered how heavy I had hit the beets the day before, when my heart slows down I may try beets again.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Larry
    Rolling on the floor laughing here. It is a scary thing when it looks like Easter egg dye in the toilet

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

We're going to Tulsa on Sat and look there. If we can't find anything, then we'll have to wait a couple weeks & try again. One car lot was really interested in buying my car so I'm going tomorrow to deal with that. We still owe on it so we won't get much, but at least it'll be one less payment.

Never had an interest in beets, now this discussion confirms it.

• OklaMoni
    2 years ago

I LOVE beets. Ate beets almost daily last summer and the summer before. :)

sorted, washed, and the greens ready to cook:

HU-422368488 thanked OklaMoni
  • Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Monique this is awesome. I need to get some planted.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Jennifer, the Oklahoma ornithology society is against the turnpike, too. It effects habitat near Lake thunderbird? There are some endangered and at risk species there.

When Ron's sister was born his dad took care of him while his mom was in the hospital. She freaked when he pooped Red. His dad said no, I've been feeding him beets and Red wine.

I should see if I can get some pink eye purple hull peas. Wonder if Worley's has them. We're going to have the 4 yo and the 8 yo grandsons this weekend. I'll be a basket case by Sunday. Then it gets cold again.

Have a good weekend.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

Amy, HJ gave me a bunch of of seeds last year (pretty sure she enjoys my seed hoarding because it gives her a place to discard hers lol). I don't eat cowpeas so if you want some you're welcome to them. Otherwise I'll just trade them in the next seed swap I do.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I just got back from the Greenwood Farmers coop, Ace hardware, and Walmart gas station. I am trying to stock up on supplies to get me through planting season. I think I have enough fuel, seed, and fertilizer. I want to plant extra for friends and family (if needed). Prices have already started up. Bonnie plants are from $4.38 to $4.88 per six pack. Garlic was also $7.99 per pound. I don't know what garlic use to cost because I have been saving garlic from one year to the next. I would like to get more onions, but I hate paying $4.88 a bundle for them. I may cut back because I give about half away, and anyone can grow onions if they want to.

My garden soil is pretty rich because of being amended for years, but the wildlife garden needs a lot of help. I add a little nitrogen to the nitrogen lovers, but I have plenty of P and K in both house gardens. I may cut back on the wildlife garden because of cost and I am just not man enough to care for all the area.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    2 years ago

Jen, are they Pink eye purple hull peas? I have lots of other varieties, but that's one I don't have an they're bigger than my whippoorwills. I don't care for black eyed peas, so PEPH s better.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Laughing @ Larry and Jen on the beet comments.

For whatever reason, it's the only veggie I've had an aversion to. However, they are quite delicious roasted. Newly discovered.

Amy, a man who lives in the area was at the meeting. He is an environmentalist and lined up to speak. He brought up 6 different species that are endangered.

The meeting was crazy. People were upset. HWY 9 was jammed up with people trying to get into the church that hosted the meeting. We made it indoors and was sent to an overflow room with a giant screen. Some people were in the halls and coffee break rooms. Large church campus and still completely full.

Jen, you found me out. You are where I dump my hoard of seeds. lol.

If you ever want me to stop, I can. haha.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Y’all I keep forgetting to tell you : 0. My peach trees are budding for the first time ever. I am so excited and if need be I will drag those little darlings inside. All 100 pounds of em.

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Jennifer grow golden beets. Same great tastes no colorful side effects

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

HJ--I'm with you! My daughter-in-law told me about roasting beets--I agree with you, they are divine! Oklamoni, I also LOVE beets. AND they are one of the very most supernutritious veggies ever!

Our internet was out much of today. And our mobile phone provider's signal was very weak (Verizon). At 1 or 2, I asked GDW if he'd be okay with getting out, maybe to Muskogee for raised bed soil/potting soil, and he said he'd been thinking exactly that; he needed to get some things at Lowe's. I get so tense when internet goes out, not knowing if it's me or them. And most often, all I need to do is walk away for a few hours and all is good. (As it was today.)

Kim, I pray your peach trees will do well. I have come round down here in OK to grow proven things! I admit, I am a sissie!

HJ, I am praying that the objections will be heard!

• Kim Reiss
    2 years ago

Peaches do well here. Apricot plums crabapples. Figs and goji Berry too.
    I like to try them all

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

I dont do well with fruit. I was able to a little in Ft. Smith, but out here in the country I have too many critters to fight, plus I often have late frost that can take out a lot of the fruit.

• hazelinok
    2 years ago

Kim, I hope the fig you gave me is still alive. I moved it to the shop when it got really cold.

Garden news:

The first of the tomatoes are popping up. And flowers. However, I forgot to label the flowers before moving them. They are either red periwinkles or calendula.

I'm making a lot of mistakes like that. Life distractions are causing it, I think.

My Park Seed order came in. Just a couple of different flowers.

I am hoping to get them started soon as well as the peppers. This weekend is full as always, so we'll see...

Maybe I'll have an hour or two tomorrow afternoon.

The property has that end-of-winter look. Not my favorite look. It needs to be picked up and cleaned up a bit, along with the coop and chicken yard.

Thanks, Nancy, I doubt they'll change their turnpike plans, but at least voices are being heard.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

HJ, sure wish you all could overturn their plans.

I'm thinking Bruce is going to set 4/23 as SF. In that case I think I'll wait another week to start my tomatoes! I'm feeling downright cavalier about starting them so late. Yay!

I ordered color-coded plant labels this year. Kind of a waste of money when I usually use vinyl venetian blinds. But Walmart didn't have the short cheap $5 ones, and they were much more expensive online. So I splurged. 8 different colors and a Staedtler marking pen.

I had 3 varieties of peppers that didn't germinate. Wacky and one of them was Ashe County--so am going to try it again. I'm sitting on the deck potting up peppers at the moment. These Numex Centennial ones germinated so successfully I'll have extras if anyone wants one. https://victorygardeners.com/product/numex-centennial-pepper/

Know exactly what you mean about the "end-of-winter" look, HJ. And I haven't touched any of the plant/flower beds, "leaving the leaves," ya know. Not planning to touch it for another few weeks. UGLY beiges and browns. Reminds me of driving from MN to WY several years ago, in March. There wasn't any snow on the ground. I said it was just one big brown blob, all the way across South Dakota, even the cows were all brown.

Well, back to transplanting.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

We are now the proud owners of a 2013 Chevy Silverado. More miles than I care for, but the carfax shows the previous owners took immaculate care of it. And for what we're planning to use it for, it may last for a decade. But that was the last big ticket item on our list. Now to get the bank account balance built back up so we can get the electricity fixed in my building. I told him we had until January, that gives us the big holidays to save up.

• Nancy Waggoner
    2 years ago

Oh Jen, I am so thrilled for ya! Love Chevy Silverados. Our last new one was a 16 Silverado. Then Garry told me we needed to get one that had running boards for me ( my bum hip) and a CD player . . and I added adjustable driver seat up and down. Amy said I needed to have heated seats, too, but we didn't get that. But Garry actually found a truck that had all the other requirements. He had sworn off Ford back in the 90s when he had a bad experience with a dealer. . . but ended up at this Ford dealer in Broken Arrow--and although he hadn't intended to buy one without me there, was so sure I'd love it that he bought it on the spot--and he was right. I loved it then and I love it now--and it was a year older than our 16 Silverado! 2015 Ford 150--automatic raising seats, CD. Beautiful silver TX special. Way too many miles, 93000. The previous owners kept it in immaculate condition. We've had it 2 yrs now and have added very few miles. SO. Jen, you've been putting out some big bucks. I'm so thrilled you've been able to get stuff figured in.

• slowpoke_gardener
    2 years ago

Nancy, 93000 miles is not a lot of miles on a truck. My old truck is a 2008 Ford 250 super duty, that spent its life as a rental,(till I bought it) and really shows it. My truck shows to have 173,000 on it and runs great. I think the Chevys drive and ride better, but I can make do with a ford. My truck has very stiff springs that will beat you to death while you are riding in it, but will really haul a load, but 12.5 to 14.5 is all the mileage I can get out of it. Your truck with 93,000 miles on it may out last you and Garry both.

Jen, sounds like you have a good truck. I worked for a company about 20 or 25 years ago that ran Chevys with gas engines. They just left the truck engines running during during the day if they were going to be back in them within an hour or so, several of their trucks had over 500,000 miles on them. I had a friend with a Silverado (he died a couple of weeks ago) with about 400,000 miles on it. Unless he wrecked before he died, it out lasted him.

• jlhart76
    2 years ago

Honestly we haven't put a lot out, we just shuffled where money was going. We got a USDA loan for this house, which was zero down, so proceeds from the OKC house went for closing fees and the improvements we made to the property. The mortgage is more but utilities are less so it balances out to about the same as what we were paying in OKC. Then we paid off the Chrysler, so the money that was going to that payment is now going to the tractor. And we sold the Hyundai yesterday so now the money from that payment goes toward the truck. So all told, our monthly expenses are the same now as they were. But we got what we wanted on almost the timetable we planned for, so if we have to pinch pennies a bit that's fine.