SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

(OT, sort of) Living in the moment

I notice that lately I've formed a habit of going down into the woods every morning to look around and think about plantings. We're having an ominously early but quite lovely spring, and honestly I'm not sure it will ever be this fair and sweet again this year. Green, lush, soft grass, the little plants sprouting everywhere, violets, purple, white, pink, flaunting their color and fragrance, snowdrops starting to fade but heavy with developing seedpods, hellebores lightening the wood and providing color: it's wonderful!

I have a lot of bulbs coming soon, ordered in a fit of plantlust and blindness to reason, as they'll be a job to plant and a worse job to keep moist if it doesn't rain or snow soon. Some will go to keep current plants company: more summer snowflakes to join the ones already in place; Solomon's seal, a different species than the two currently growing (I hope) down there, planted close to the green hellebores we dug up and transplanted several years ago, and which are lasting and multiplying, if slowly; lily-of-the-valley, two kinds, which I have hopes for now that I've finally realized what dank conditions they prefer, and some narcissus I don't know yet where to put.

Wandering around and thinking about plant placement and combinations is how I'm spending my time in the woods: working mentally at least, but also enjoying the sun and the green and the growth and the discoveries, thinking about what I can do to help it become more beautiful. It's not furthering piano practice, or bringing in the laundry, or getting the cooking done, but it is living and appreciating one of the sweetest seasons of the year, and worth the time for that reason.

Comments (6)