SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Perpetual Spinach and New Zealand Spinach?

katyajini
2 years ago

I am on a quest to find some looong yielding or perennial vegetable crops that are hopefully tasty.

Two that I have found and want to try are New Zealand Spinach and Perpetual Spinach. I have no experience growing greens. Just hostas. Any comments you make about these two vegetables are very welcome. Like how they taste, how you grow them, what to note about cultivating them, anything really that you might want to say. I ordered seeds from Baker Creek for both of these, if that makes a difference.

About New Zealand Spinach: you are supposed to eat only the leaves at the tips and not the larger leaves or the stems?

About Perpetual Spinach:

1) Here is a comment from Baker Creek

"I'm writing this to you - whoever sees this review - with a magical tip to grow sweet candy salads. Perpetual Spinach. Plant it in the late summer and let it mature into freezing cold weather. Like magic, spinach becomes sugar. Enjoy."

What does this mean? That if you plant fresh starts of PS in summer the leaves taste sweet when there is frost?

What happens to the leaves of plants you planted in spring? Wont they become sweet at frost?

If you cut off all the leaves by cutting straight across the plant the new leaves that will emerge will they be like from a new plant or they have some age on them?

2) Does Perpetual Spinach divide under the soil to form new plants during the growing season? And if so will all the new plants flower the next season as well? Can you keep a clump of Perpetual Spinach giong for a few seasons?

Thanks!

Comments (8)