SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam_ag

Should I paint my kitchen cabinets?

Pam Ag
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello everyone. I’ve had such good advice here in the past so I thought I would reach out one more time! I am wanting a change in my kitchen cabinets. They are oak and in really good shape but I’ve been considering either painting them lighter or putting in some glass doors on some of the upper cabinets. I already have a quote from a professional cabinet company for the glass but now I’m second guessing myself and wondering if its the right thing to do. I’ve got under the counter lighting and I’m also adding some over the counter lighting soon. what do you all think? I’d love to hear some opinions. Thank you all!

Comments (63)

• Arrow Coyote
    2 years ago

I asked a professional painter about painting mine. He said to sand them, then use a bounding primer, then semi gloss exterior paint as it would hold up better. He also said to use a small foam roller so as to not get brush marks. I used a darker grey on the bottom & lighter gray on the top cabinets, & added new hardware. One warning about hardware, if you don’t want to red re-drill holes take your hinges & pulls to the hardware store & make sure they line up with holes for your new hardware. Also exterior paint fumes can be strong so make sure your room is well ventilated

Pam Ag thanked Arrow Coyote
  • cat_ky
    2 years ago

I agree with the others, your cabinets are very nice. I wouldnt be changing them.

Just in case someone else decides to use exterior paint inside the house, please read this article before you do.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/can-you-use-exterior-paint-inside/

Pam Ag thanked cat_ky
  • Related Discussions

Should I have my oak kitchen cabinets refinished or painted?

Q

Comments (3)
    We had our oak kitchen cabinets painted a light cream color. We debated about this for four years. My husband was really against painting wood, but finally we just went for it. Now we wish we'd done it sooner. They look amazing. We cannot see the grain underneath. We did have them professionally done. It updated our kitchen...looks great. Go for it, but do it right.
    ...See More

Q

Comments (6)
    If they are prepped and sprayed in shop, professionally, they will hold up better than regular painted cabs. Factory painted are the best, obviously, but it also depends on how hard you are on the cabinets themselves. To have yours done correctly, you're looking at a min of 4K,,maybe more depending where you live. No, a regular joe housepainter wouldn't be the best choice for these. a conversion lacquer type of painting would be in the upper end of finishes. I'm sure you'll get people on here telling you they're beautiful and to change the things around them (which I can't see because of your photo quality), but you're the one that's living with them. If you truly hate them, perhaps you could sell them and get new, reface, or paint. all depends what you want to spend.
    ...See More

Should I paint my kitchen cabinets? Help!!

Q

Comments (10)
    I have painted oak cabinets and they look great. Of course the grain shows. That’s part of the charm and they look like the real wood cabinets that they are! I also don’t have a problem with the exposed hinges. It’s a vintage kitchen ; remove all the hardware, clean them well and reuse them. Painting kitchen cabinets is a big job however so make sure you are up to the task. I do think you need to change your backsplash though. It just doesn’t work with your granite.
    ...See More

Q

Comments (19)
    The kitchen is dark because it has no windows of its own and it has no central overhead light fixture, only downward-pointing can lights. Find the "close to the ceiling" fixture that matches the table's chandelier and have it installed in the kitchen. It will brighten up the kitchen enormously for the cost of a few hundred dollars.
    ...See More
  • Lucie Duberowski
    2 years ago

I think your cabinets are beautiful! i love the quality that visibly real wood conveys. im tired of the painted caninet trend really. a couple glass doors might look really nice i would probably go for black/dark countertops, if or when you replace countertops

Pam Ag thanked Lucie Duberowski
  • Lucie Duberowski
    2 years ago

And i agree that stainless appliances would look great with your existing cabinets

• csch
    2 years ago

I'm throwing in my 2 cents:

Don't bother painting the cabinets, they are quite nice, but do go for some glass fronts; I would not do glass on the cabinets above your range wall but on the other walls above the dishwasher(?) and uppers left of the refrigerator. Then if you want some painted color just paint your island and/or pantry(?) door. It looks like you have lots of plants and neutral colors already so maybe a green that will compliment the warm tones of the wood and cream countertop. Greens and blues usually go well with wood and look good in a kitchen. I also love the wood wrap on the fridge below, an alternative to stainless:

https://images.app.goo.gl/6mo42HKemLVhRQJv6

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Often there's one upper on other side of a window, all by itself, and sticking out. Seems like mine above dishwasher, for our cups / mugs, etc. But I'd remove it and use shelves, maybe with mug hooks under.... is the area casual basically?

Pam Ag thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Sometimes adding something helps, and I'd find 2 hanging lights that you delight in. Possible that a little less wood stain would help, by finding other dining chairs, "sorry." In other words, I wouldn't paint the cabinets. :)

Maybe chalk paint the table?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I can look for ideas if you want... if so, what does the ceiling 'box' measure and what distance is between the 2 lights? Could island lighting be placed in middle of the 2?

Designers Fountain 89138-WP Cazadero - Ten Light Island · More Info

W 43" / D 13" / H 6" / Matte Black / LED Lumens 4493 / Kelvin 3000

Quoizel Ingram Light Island Chandelier, Matte Black · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Using a bit of accenting blue, maybe red, or green, can help. Is there an accent color you use? Adding that can help.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Natural-Fiber-Oceana-Natural-Beige-Seagrass-Rug-26-x-6-Runner/4760638/product.html

Weeping Flower Room Darkening Valance, Red · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

A 'cool' finish can seem like finish of frig..? so if the style feels right, maybe cool-silvery appliances could seem better to you. I have white myself.

Maxim Lighting 12057WTOI Nexus - Six Light Chandelier · More Info

Hinkley Arden Chandelier Medium Six Light Linear · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

W 4" / D 23.5" / H 12"

Two of these, where wood upper cabinet is, idea:

Brown Wood Rustic Wall Shelf, 12 "x24 "x4 " · More Info

• julhew34
    2 years ago

I would paint the island and door black and update appliances and light over the table Edit the top of the cabinets

Pam Ag thanked julhew34
  • reich1
    2 years ago

And paiont the walls a lighter, neutral color.

Pam Ag thanked reich1
  • hessepam
    2 years ago

Here ’s my before and after photos. I had them professionally painted. I had to switch colors as the first color pulled too much green, A designer consult would have saved that step. My cabinets are in great shape and cherry wood. i lived with them for 9 years. The doors and drawers were sprayed and the boxes hand painted. Same hardware, lighting lighting, countertops and backsplash. I wish I had plunged in earlier and completed this project 9 years ago. The painter was awesome too!

Pam Ag thanked hessepam
  • Beth Hunter
    2 years ago

Beautiful!

• Laura Alexoff
    2 years ago

Don’t paint cabinets.

No glass fronts.

Go with stainless steel appliances.

Replace irregular shaped island. Use painted cabinet there. Consult a professional color consultant on the right color.

Also consult for the wall paint. (You’ll be happier with your wood cabinets)

Pantry not a great look but not experienced in what to recommend to improve.

Consider change in backsplash tile. Take extra care that it “goes” with countertop and wood. Color consultant should be able to help with this too.

Good luck!

Pam Ag thanked Laura Alexoff
  • Laura Alexoff
    2 years ago

And remove solo cabinet over dishwasher! Open shelves there if you like that look.

Pam Ag thanked Laura Alexoff
  • barncatz
    2 years ago

If I were painting anything, I would paint the walls white. I think the yellow toned beige is not a good match with the red toned cabinets and floor. Monitors can be deceiving, but the walls look like they were supposed to echo your counters but are in fact darker and yellower. Maybe a paint color like White Duck or Shoji White would be light enough.

The pantry door also stands out not because of its style, which is attractive, but because of the two color paint scheme, which I would eliminate in any event either by matching the wall to the door or vice versa.

(Note: The floor in this photo is much lighter than yours.) But in addition to the lighter wall color, I also wanted to suggest that you consider removing the cabinet to the right of the sink - nearest the table.

I'd remove the metal grate from that wall when you're clearing the cabinet tops. A new table pendant, something much "lighter" given how visually heavy your table is, might also be fun. I think there are ways to lighten your kitchen without replacing appliances or painting the cabinets.

Pam Ag thanked barncatz
  • housegal200
    2 years ago

I'm of the opinion that wood cabinets in a space completely open to a main living room with fairly formal furnishings creates continuity. So my suggestions enhance that connection and wouldn't cost that much.

Leave the wood cabinets and island as is but remove the cabinet by the window to really open up the window side. Then you don't have to do glass fronted cabinets. I think your island is fine though I suppose you could paint the base the same as your wall color.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how heavy and dark your dining set is. You could do something like this for the chairs--ivory chair covers for seat and backs. This would really lighten the area:

Sandy House- Dining · More Info

Also consider updating the pendant over your table with an oblong shade in ivory.

Arteriors Beatty Chandelier, Light Beige · More Info

To sum up:

--Keep the wood cabinets and island as is but remove the cabinet by the window.

--Cover dark dining chairs in ivory slipcovers.

--Change out lighting with oblong ivory shade.

--If and when your appliances wear out, get stainless. I actually think they're fine now. Get the slipcovers first--it'll really lighten the space quite a bit.

--Add a beautiful large tray on top of the island with vintage wine glasses or, if you're not imbibers, add a great teapot and mugs so that you make the island inviting. Or order a big handmade fruit bowl from Etsy and keep it filled with fruit.

Honestly, IMO your kitchen/dining space just needs some tweaking not an overhaul.

Pam Ag thanked housegal200
  • jdubbink
    2 years ago

We have a kitchen similar to yours. We left our oak cabinets but painted our island white (SW Alabaster) and I'm vey happy with it. You may have to find a color that matches your countertop. We also added pendant lights above the island which really changed the look of the room.

Pam Ag thanked jdubbink
  • terrib962
    2 years ago

WHITE-WASH - YES! Another option is to white wash them so the oak grain still shows, but thru a very light "veil" - it is either very diluted [white] paint or paint mixed with clear coat. Use a white or pastel - white or some shade of off- white probably best. If it were me, I would definitely either paint or white wash uppers and lowers. As for glass, I would put that in only the cabinets where you want to display vintage or collectible glass like old Pyrex with colors, or other nice things that look good thru glass.

Pam Ag thanked terrib962
  • terrib962
    2 years ago

And - LOVE that you still have white appliances - SO much nicer than stainless steel, and black is hideous!

Pam Ag thanked terrib962
  • taniajk
    2 years ago

I would not paint the cabinets. I would cut the top off of that pantry so that its level with the cabinets. As-is, pantry is the focal point of the space due to its size and it is very dated. 80's / 90's vibe - when things had a weird angle for no particular reason. I'd then swap out the pantry door for wood/ slightly darker color (perhaps matching the cabinet pulls) that looks good but blends into the background. I'd update the dining room light fixture which is also a bit dated for something more high end looking (lighting is where you can easily get some bang for your buck). Also, I'd demo the soffit over the island and put pendant lights over the island. More streamlined. Fewer 80's angles. Stainless appliances.

Pam Ag thanked taniajk
  • Carol Belding
    2 years ago

I usually paint cabinets, but I'd leave yours alone. I would add bright chrome pulls and handles and liven things up a bit. You may prefer brass, which would also be pretty. Other people spoke about your counter tops. I think lighting is your biggest issue. It might be worth getting a designer in to upgrade your lighting. I didn't know this, but glass in cabinet doors is very 90's. I have it in my own kitchen, from the previous owners, but would not add it to another.

Pam Ag thanked Carol Belding
  • nolanirvana
    2 years ago

I think your cabinets are beautiful. I would not paint them. I would get white slipcovers for the dining room chairs, replace the dining room fixture with something more up to date and put pendants over the island, paint the cabinets on the island and if feasible change the shape of the island countertop. Also look at replacing the pulls on the cabinets. That is an easy fix and makes a big difference. You can lighten the look up with a new backsplash- subway tile or glass tile would lighten the look. Another suggestion is to reduce the height of the pantry cabinet to match the height of the other cabinets and replace the door. Painting the walls in a color that is more white would lighten the space.I would also remove the items on top of the cabinets. Those are just dust catchers. Either remove the cabinet by the window or replace it with open shelving to display decorative pitchers, cups etc. You have a wonderful space and it looks like it gets lots of light.

Pam Ag thanked nolanirvana
  • indymomma
    2 years ago

Your pantry door looks out of place. If you don't want to replace it (see photo), consider painting it the same color as your walls so it disappears. Paint trim a soft neutral, not white. I love your cabinets as they are,

Very warm and inviting. Agree a new island top would improve the look and ditch the white appliances (they don't help). Great kitchen you have, just needs tweaking.

Pam Ag thanked indymomma
  • Zap Rey
    2 years ago

Your cabinets are the nicest thing in your kitchen. They do not need to be updated. There are several things you can do to update your kitchen and other commenters here have given you some wonderful suggestions!

Pam Ag thanked Zap Rey
  • Ginger
    2 years ago

You might try painting only the island and then decide if you want to go all in. Personally, I would only go with some glass front uppers if you are displaying something beautiful inside - I like glass fronts at a bar displaying sets of glassware options that are cohesive. I'm in agreement with others; your cabinets look pretty timeless and in good shape but the appliances are a bit dated so stainless steel appliances would be a good option for sure. Also streamlining what you have on display above the cabinets would modernize the look. Best of luck!

Pam Ag thanked Ginger
  • Alicia
    2 years ago

I wouldn’t bother with glass fronts, for the money it won’t make a very big difference aesthetically. I really don’t think it would be worth it. I think if you want to get the most bang for your buck, put your money into lighting, appliances, the island and painting the walls.

Pam Ag thanked Alicia
  • Pam Ag
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh wow thank you ALL for your thoughtful and detailed suggestions and ideas!!! I was looking for help and you all came through in a big way, and Im super appreciative! Moving forward I am now convinced to not paint the cabinets. I have already decluttered above them and looking into new pendant lighting…I had not considered that idea until now. Im also trying out new hardware..I picked up some brushed nickel pulls yesterday and will install them today and see if I like the look. Thats my start but not certainly the finish. You have all given me LOTS to consider from the pantry door to paint to appliances…thank you again everyone I love this site!!!

• carol beachlady
    2 years ago

Your cabinets are very pretty in a traditional home. I would not do a thing to them. Replacing very expensive new appliances simply to have a different finish is not a good use of your remodeling budget. Ditto for replacing the countertops. The very busy pattern of the dark granite shown will only make the kitchen seem smaller and darker. Update lighting, and hardware, and perhaps add a brighter tile backsplash, remove items from cabinet tops. The cabinet over by the window looks a little odd but it's over the dishwasher, so it may be where you put glassware and dishware right out of the dishwasher. Sensible.

Pam Ag thanked carol beachlady
  • Sarah Strohm
    2 years ago

I agree with Lyn Nielson who suggested having the cabinets painted professionally. The existing ones are nice but their color darkens the space. A paler shade of blue or blue- grey would go very nicely with the floors and brighten up the space, in my humble opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Pam Ag thanked Sarah Strohm
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

If area has sunlight and decent night lighting, medium-dark is fine. If you added color at windows, the lone upper next to it, would have a tie-in... for example.

And adding a good island light surely adds your style, not that it'd be easy to choose.

Pam Ag thanked everdebz
  • Connie Stackhouse
    2 years ago

I too have oak cabinets and was advised against painting them because the grain would show through. Oak is not a wood that is used for painted cabinets. i’m afraid a pro would charge $$$ to try to hide the grain and still not be able to do it completely. your cabinets are lovely as they are!

Pam Ag thanked Connie Stackhouse
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Those are pretty traditional shaker doors. Wonder if you could put a set of lighted ones on top. Remove the crown from the cabinets, add a new box that would fit on the single cabinet above the DW, and match the others to its size. If there is a difference in height once you arrive at the pantry, bring the pantry walls to the same level as the lighted cabs. The big trick will be finding an expert to stain them to match your cabs, but it can be done.

Beaverton Kitchen · More Info

Pam Ag thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Barbara Collura
    2 years ago

I would absolutely paint. It will give the kitchen an updated look. I had similar cabinets and wanted to change my kitchen configuration a bit. Could not add cabinet because it would stand out because it hadn't aged with the rest. My contractor built the new cabinet I wanted and then painted them all with a special type of cabinet paint they now make. Left the bases up and painted but took off all the doors and spayed in his shop. Changed the hardware too. 5 years later and they look brand new and I'm someone who cooks daily. Paint. It will allow you to make a few minor changed to configuration and fix that pantry and make you feel like you have a brand new kitchen. I remember a lot of people telling me that I was crazy to paint wood. After they saw it done, they all loved the look.

Pam Ag thanked Barbara Collura
  • briandbec
    2 years ago

Actually, im I’m distracted by the white appliances. They contrast the earth-tone of the rest of the kitchen - from the cabinet stain to the counters and the floor. If you are firm on white appliances, you have to break up all that brown, so yes, paint. But appliances break and get replaced more than wood and stone, so personally i would change them out first before deciding on cabinets.

Pam Ag thanked briandbec
  • arnolan
    2 years ago

If your sick of the look , Painted cabinets will lighten the space a lot! I'd have a professional do it and it would look like a whole new space. Clear clutter and It would be new and modern . If you have the budget to upgrade appliances it will feel completely new.

Pam Ag thanked arnolan
  • drumleewest
    2 years ago

My story, my kitchen....had oak cabinets and wanted to lighten the space. Had them professionally painted, the grain shows if you look closely, but it doesn’t bother me or anyone else who admires the change. We re worked two cabinets, installed shorter doors with seeded glass and an open shelf for cookbooks on the bottom. We removed the light box in the ceilng and installed can lights and a couple of pendants. Appliances can be professionally painted at an auto body shop for much less than the cost of new.

It’s your kitchen, do what pleases you.

Pam Ag thanked drumleewest
  • Mrs
    2 years ago

ArrowCoyote and HessePam - beautiful jobs! Your cabinets look lovely!

DrumLeeWest - You wrote: "Appliances can be professionally painted at an auto body shop for much less than the cost of new." - wow! Love the stuff I learn from others at this site!

PamAg - do update us here with photos; would LOVE to see your results! (But DO keep the "spoiled doggy" sign! :-) You know, the book of Job in the Bible tells us how God made animals to love us and to teach us. An amazing book is Dr. Hugh Ross' "Hidden Treasures in the Book of Job.")

Pam Ag thanked Mrs
  • Kendrah
    2 years ago

Saw this pic today and thought of your post. I think this looks lovely with white uppers painted the same color as the wall and counters, and wood lowers. I'm not usually a fan of two toned cabinets but think this really works.

The Charles House · More Info

Pam Ag thanked Kendrah
  • chelakaplan
    2 years ago

1, Wash cabinet fronts thoroughly with TSP, that will remove dirt, grime and you'll be surprise how bright they look (test a small area first)

2. Update appliances to stainless steel; Change all cabinet hardware to brushed ss.
    3. Add pendant lighting over island
    4. Update light over table to match new pendant light
    5. If you paint anything... it should be the table and chairs. A light color there would lighten the whole space (you can still keep the table top stained wood – paint everything else)

6. Change pantry door to a frosted glass with etching (Houzz has some fun ones) The divided panes on that door don't match any windows that I can see.
    7. Remove cabinet to left of corner window, add white shelves

Pam Ag thanked chelakaplan
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Everyone is encouraging you to get stainless appliances, but I wouldn't do that until one of your larger ones fails. White appliances are not a sin, some new items are in short supply or on a ship somewhere, and if yours are in good working order, I think they are fine (even though not on trend right this minute.) In short order they may be what everyone wants; especially if they are all that are "on the shelf" what with the shipping delays and shortages.

Pam Ag thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Connie Bundy
    2 years ago

There are MANY good ideas for you here! When I first viewed your pictures, I felt that the room was very monochromatic; it is variations on brown and beige. So, I would choose a new backsplash with a WOW factor that includes some dramatic color. It appears that you have under-cabinet lighting, so it would really make a gorgeous backsplash stand out. Consider a vivid blue or bright red accent color, or a variety of product in one of these colorways. Then, I would address the pantry and the other walls. I would choose a deeper shade of paint and paint all the white on the pantry wall in that color, possibly the same as the bright color in the backsplash. Then, the paint on the other walls needs to be addressed. I would stay far away from anything with yellow in it, and choose something like Sherwin Williams Popular Gray, that has some beige and gray in it, but not the yellow tones. The drywall around the pantry could be popular gray, too, or a darker hue than Popular Gray Then, I would contact someone that does electrostatic painting, and have the appliances painted, unless you want to get new stainless ones. See if you can get a stainless look from the paint, and save some $$$. I had appliances painted, and never looked back. I also would either replace the tile floor, or i that is not an option, get some dramatic rugs that will add your colors and tie the floor in with the backsplash. I would also consider getting an updated dining set that doesn't have so much brown.

Pam Ag thanked Connie Bundy
  • sebringcb
    2 years ago

The two bathroom vanity doors are from a townhouse we were preparing to put on the market. I believe I used a cloth dampened with a slightly darker wood stain leftover from another project on the left door and took photo to compare. Let completly dry and buff them up. It really brought out the grain and made cabinets much richer looking. Did same in kitchen; so glad we did not attempt to paint. This may work for you to freshen up your cabinets. Maybe just do inside of a door to see if you like it. It went very quickly. Was four years ago, different market, but 3 offers first day and sold over list price, even with "those oak cabinets"!

Pam Ag thanked sebringcb
  • sebringcb
    2 years ago

Here's the photo!

Pam Ag thanked sebringcb
  • nina47
    2 years ago

Definitely paint them and also the island. It's so easy to dismantle the doors and paint them lighter.

Pam Ag thanked nina47
  • Beth Ewers
    2 years ago

I just went through the same dilemma. My oak cabinets are not nearly as pretty as yours are. I decided against paint and am in the process of stripping and then using a product called Weather Wash on my cabinets. It ages wood and gives it a barn wood look. This is not like traditional stain but I find it’s very easy to work with. It’s going to take a while to complete the whole process I’m just taking it a day at a time😉

Pam Ag thanked Beth Ewers
  • sebringcb
    2 years ago

Looks like it is coming out nicely. Will have to check out that product. May work on my hutch and dining table. Thanks!

• Beth Ewers
    2 years ago

Thanks! Since my cabinets are old the wood is not “perfect” everywhere and this process is very forgiving when it comes to that!