SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jally1

Is anyone here expert at cookie dough quirks?

jally
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, as you can see from my attached cookie-bar twists, the brown dough was time-consuming, to handle, because as I would roll each strand (and also twist the brown/blonde strands over each other) - parts of the rolls were easily breakable at various points along their length. But even the blonde dough was at times breakable (though easier to handle than the brown dough. The blonde was fairly pliable.

My questions are - where did I go wrong? For example:

1. the original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups sugar - but I did 1/2 cup confectioners sugar - and one cup granulated. I did that because I thought the confectioners would add whiteness. But would the latter have affected pliability?
  2. When emptying the 2 eggs from their shells, I didn't push out the entire egg-whites. Rather, whatever remained inside the shells after adding the eggs to mix-bowl, was trashed along with the shells. Should I have added more of the egg whites, to increase pliability?
  3. Thanks goodness I didn't do 1/4 c. cocoa (as the recipe called for). Rather more like 1/5cup or 1/6cup of cocoa is what I added to half of the blonde-dough. But maybe I should have done 1/8 cup to increase pliability?
  4. I didn't overdo the flour - rather - the 3 cups was a "sparing 3 cups"

So here is the recipe I did:

1 cup unsalted softened margarine

1 cup white-granulated sugar

1/2 cup confect. sugar

2 eggs (sparing with whites)

1 tsp. vanilla extract

3 cups flour (sparing - not heaping)

1 tsp. bake powder

1/4 tsp. salt

added to half the dough: 1/5 cup or 1/6 cup cocoa

I preheated oven to 400-fahrenheit, then inserted bake pan, then lowered oven to 350-fahrenheit, then baked approx. 20-21 min. They taste pretty good.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths