SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
zinzer33

decorating dilemma

lisa Weatherford
7 months ago

I need some ideas on how to decorate this huge waisted space .what is wrong with this room .ideas and thoughts please

Comments (50)

• Sarah
    7 months ago

What a great space! Those walls are screaming for giant art. A triptych on the wood wall. Seriously huge art- check out local open studios to buy directly from an artist.

Your rug looks too small- I love when the furniture has all the legs on the rug instead of just the front legs.

• Newideas
    7 months ago

Looks like you have some beautiful quilts. One of those would be lovely on your wall. Also suggest changing out the shades for something not wood tone and new sconces for the stairwell.

• Related Discussions

Fireplace mantel decor dilemma!

Q

Comments (11)
    Hard to judge without seeing more of room. Agree that items should be removed from mantel as detracts from strong detail of art. Agree maybe pillow in foreground is too “matchy” with art but again hard to say with limited view of room. Can we see more? That aligator / crocodile on mantel kind of whimsical - maybe it stays on mantel - remove the book he’s holding & slide him to left side by TV - remove the other photos etc which aren’t being displayed effectively there.
    ...See More

corner decor dilemma.

Q

Comments (2)
    It looks nice, but it sounds like it would be a lot of work. I don’t think we could do that ourselves.
    ...See More

wall decor dilemma

Q

Comments (6)
    Shelves just have to be balanced and appropriately sized art would do the trick. A modern piece with rust, grey and black would look great in room. May want to tape out size on wall to define the right size. Items hung too high are a pet peeve of mine 🥴, so had to comment. The four prints ending up so close to ceiling are way too high and I’d move them down about 6 or so inches. The prints over couch are also too high and again 6 inches would make them feel more connected.
    ...See More

Decor dilemma!

Q

Comments (15)
    It looks worse after you lowered it. Why do you even need the tv stand? I have mine hung on the wall with nothing under it and it makes the LR feel so much roomier. If you need a BluRay player or game or something,, you can get one of those little shelves that are made for that and go under the tv very low key. I disagree with a bunch of pictures and plants or anything else surrounding the tv. It distracts from what you are trying to watch.
    ...See More
  • lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I forgot to post this wall

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I forgot to add this photo

• Newideas
    7 months ago

Are you committed to keeping the wall color and the natural wood wall?

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Maybe not .what do you recommend

• blubird
    7 months ago

Wall paint is the wrong finish and color; it should be flat, or at most, eggshell, in a cream color. What appears to be a large intake vent should be painted in the wall color. it is not a feature to be picked out in trim color. Larger, colorful rug, less bulky furniture, not brown and fewer furniture pieces in the room.

Is the fireplace working and used? if it's not in working condition, i would mount the tv over the opening. If it is used, replacing the wood with some sort of stone face would relieve the woodiness of the room.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Ok .so what do you mean by replacing the wood .you mean putting a stone fireplace in ?what do you think about how the fireplace appears off set ? Or is it just me

• Newideas
    7 months ago

Hi Lisa, I’m going to try tagging @BethH as I think she would have a lot of great ideas for your space and is a pro, which I am not. :-)

• Newideas
    7 months ago

I feel like the wood wall and two adjacent walls should be painted the same color, a cream as bluebird suggested. Then the ceiling and stairwell would shine as your wood accents and you could get motorized shades for the upper windows for light control. I still think a collage of quilts on the large blank wall could be lovely. Do you plan to keep the TV on that wall? It may help to provide room dimensions and an overall floor plan so we can see how this space relates to the rest of your home.

• salonva
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I tried to tag Beth H as well but it doesn't seem to be working in this thread for some reason. She is super creative I agree. I tried contacting her on another thread so hopefully she will see this at some point.

You do have a super special space and I would be stumped as well but I know it can be stunning and probably with not so much changing.

• Karon Long
    7 months ago

Following

• njmomma
    7 months ago

My two cents, before @Beth H. : comes in and gives you such great suggestions :-)

She really is wonderful at gathering info for a Poster.

I am not a Pro, but what comes to mind is the paint color needs to be a cream color to lighten up the room. The radiator needs to be painted the same color as the wall. I would redo the fire place in a stone, so it stands out. I can't really tell, if putting the tv above the fireplace is too high.

If the tv is too high above the fireplace, I would get an open shelf console to put the tv on the wall with the radiator. One that is large and fits the wall. The radiator will not be blocked if it is an open console. Mount the tv on that wall.

Add an area rug to ground your living room furniture that has some cream in it.

Here is some inspiration:

Gull Lake Cabin · More Info

Large art on walls.

Burgess Creek · More Info

• hu818472722
    7 months ago

This room is lacking a focal point as your furniture is all arranged to face a TV situated on a side wall next to your door where an entryway console table belongs. Remove too small fireplace and place your TV on that wall with either a floating console (if conflicts with the stairs) or regular TV console below. Another complicating factor is all the brown on brown tones (all the leather furniture and coffee table) are the same and the rug is too small. A chair on either side of your sofa facing the TV would be more balanced and switching out one leather set (chair/footstool) for a fabric chair (blend of color and white) would help break up all the brown tones. A coffee table with a light colored top would help and a larger area rug with white tones in the background would break up the heavy tones of the furniture and the floor color as well. I think with your floors strong orange tint you would need to incorporate that color into an area rug.

• Valecrest
    7 months ago

You have been given some great advice👍🏻

My 2 cents would echo the suggestion of changing the paint color but even more importantly would be to use a flat finish. Literally every imperfection in your walls is being magnified and it’s competing with the glossy polyurethane finish on the wood to make the whole space feel off.

Go for colors you love, I’d suggest looking in your closet at your clothes for inspiration or just search images with tongue and groove pine and see if there’s some thing that jumps up to you. That will give you a starting off point and then choose colors that would be similar to work specifically in your home. If that is a struggle getting help from a friend or a professional designer actually on site is time in money well spent.

The most annoying question I see is people asking for the specific wall color that was used in a space. That specific color may look beautiful in the space that it is in but it will not necessarily look the same in your home with your lighting, furniture and other surrounding materials.

Good luck with your project and it would be great to see updates as you move forward

• Carrie B
    7 months ago

I agree with painting walls a cream or off-white color. All that wood on the walls, stairs, etc., is lovely. You have a lot of brown, between the wood and the brown rug, brown chairs, brown basket, brown wood furniture. I'd leave the built (brown) wood and replace the rest of the browns...

• judianna20
    7 months ago

Not loving the window shades...would you consider installing shutters in the same stain as the wall?

How about something fun on that huge wall...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 months ago

I don't know what else I can add except pictures!

I agree w/what's been suggested. (That is a lot of wood and a lot of brown! you have brown floors, furniture, walls, stairs, cabinets, media console, and front door!) The wall color is to shiny and highlights the poor drywall job halfway up your wall (I have the same defect in my wall!)

Few suggestions. To lighten up that room, please consider doing a creamy white wall color (in an eggshell. shiny paint highlights any drywall defect. lighter colors and dull sheens will conceal it) I tried to find similar rooms w/that wood and softer white walls so you can see

the addition of white furniture, rugs, pillows, help to bounce around some light. this room is all wood walls, so they had to use lighter accents.

Is there anyway you can move your TV to this spot? just seems so crammed near the front door entryway.

If you can't, then could you hang your quilt on that wall above the tv? it would fill that huge blank space and look better than hanging from your bannister

I'd also consider putting some door trim around this doorway to finish it off.

another option is to move it on this wall and replace those lights. or hang the small one here and the larger one on the taller wall

when you paint the walls, don't forget to change out your light switches to something whiter.

get a few samples and see what works w/your room.

try finding some storage for a lot of your items laying around on the floor. next to the front door, and that cabinet, I'd try something a bit larger w/doors to conceal everything. wouldn't hurt to do something lighter.

instead of orange/red accents, bring in some cooler tones like blues/greens to tone down all of that warm brown. maybe a creamy white area rug instead of the one you have

Ditch the other colors and do shades of white black and rust as your accents. this rug would look nice w/your furniture.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

All of these ideas are great!!!What do you recommend besides stone on fireplace.i agree with the stone .but I think it will need expanded .it’s too small on that wall and it looks offset!what is your thoughts on designing the stone etc

• blubird
    7 months ago

To the OP, my first preference, in regard to your fireplace, would be to remove it, as it's sort of in the way of your staircase, as well as awkwardly situated on the wall. If it cant be removed, i think it needs to be ’de-wooded”; perhaps tile or stone facing. and i would remove all the smallish red chochkes on the mantel. because of the room height, you need large scale items, not brown; your quilts are a good place to start as deco.

• Gcubed
    7 months ago

Great ideas you’ve been given. Agree that the walls need to be a flat finish and lighter. What is the home’s setting? Mountain home? Maybe the wood works, but mix in some metal elements (like stair spindles). Hang the quilts. I’d move TV too, or hang it over a very long storage console

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The home is in a serene quiet country setting

• hu818472722
    7 months ago

Have you thought about flipping your dining room and your formal living room? I see your kitchen is visible to both these rooms which makes either space reasonably close in proximity. The wall with the china hutch would make a nice media wall for your TV and without the front door entrance, stairwell, and two hallways adding multiple traffic patterns it might be more cozy and less busy. It also might be better for TV viewing without the light from the windows causing glare. A lighter off white paint color on your side walls could help your wood wall become a feature wall and brighten up your space. We used BM Cloud Cover (eggshell) which is a warm off-white that enhances our wood tones which are similar to yours. The tall stone wall is a neat idea but your stairwell location makes that look impossible to achieve unfortunately.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

That door is the back door .

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

That is the front door

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The front door is down that small hall way

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 months ago

lisa, would be nice if you could read through all the comments and give feedback of you actually like, would like to see, etc

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I have read all the comments and I like all of the ideas .i am going to change the paint color first .and either remove fireplace or stone it .move tv over it .hang big art .it’s going to take time .and finding someone .this is a 25to 30 ft ceiling .

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I need all the ideas I can get and the most affordable .

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

This is my loft area upstairs .

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 months ago

that's different looking. I think you could prob demo all that tile/wood forms and have one level surface. Then you'd have a nice open space for kids or hang out.

The way it is now really limits what you can do w/that space. those stairs eat up valuble floor space.

the issue with removing the stairs would be matching the wood flooring. Maybe you could just install some carpet in that spot.

loft library

(BTW, the blades on that fan are far too small to actually do any type of cool. A fan that size is meant for a very small room. like 8x8' w/standard ceilings. If you like the fan there, i 'd get something larger.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Was thinking of moving the red couch downstairs ..really don t wana demolish anything .i do not have kids here anymore

• hu818472722
    7 months ago

Another option for your TV could be to put it on your stairwell wall with a low console, even though it is a side wall, it does not have the back door or the double height ceiling directly above it and could be a better viewing height as well. You could bring the toile chair (from your loft) on the side where your stairs curve around as it is smaller and has the brown legs which would tie in with your sofa. Keep one leather chair to place on the other side of your sofa facing the TV which would look more like a conversational grouping of furniture.

The front door into that long hallway is a bigger issue as that affects the traffic flow in and out of your home. Improving that situation would add value and be a small job in terms of remodeling. Adding a framed opening (width of a standard door) into your dining area by your front door would make more sense. Dividing that long hallway into a front hall closet (or bench & hooks) on one side (lighter color paint) and a storage closet on the other would add more function and increase the daylight into your dining room from the front door window as well as be more welcoming. I do like the paint color in your dining area but it's dark, so maybe just one feature wall and the rest lighten up with white as well.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Hu818472722
    I really like your idea !and also I’ve also visualized a round entryway there .into the dining area….could that be done now ? .im trying to visualize how to lay it all out

• hu818472722
    7 months ago

I think you are talking about an arched doorway and whether you could do it or not would depend on the framing inside the wall because if this is a load bearing wall there might be a beam that could limit the height of this type of door style. An experienced contractor or carpenter would be good to consult with as you want to protect both yourself and your investment in your home and have it done right. Adding a door can be done but you do need someone who can engineer it properly, not a DIY for sure! If you wanted you could get a bid on removing that elevated platform in your loft as it does limit your furniture placement and is really unnecessary. If your really lucky they put it on top of your existing flooring! If you are planning on painting the walls it would be a good time to do any repairs to the drywall in that loft so you only have to pay to paint once.

• PRO
    Connor Dunlea
    7 months ago

It would be nice to add some pictures on the walls and some carpet which will be in a lighter colour.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Ok guys .can I get your thoughts on the exact color to paint these interior walls .

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    last month

Ok guys I went with a white (Greek Villa) for the walls .what color trim should I get .I’d like to try another warmer white .

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    last month

What color should I use for trim and for kitchen and dining ?also what can I apply to these kitchen countertops that the stain flakes off of .I’ve done the sealer .it doesn’t work and what color do you recommend for kitchen cabinets?

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    last month

What color for dining area?

• njmomma
    last month

I would not paint your cabinets, unless they are in really bad shape and only if you get them professionally done. It's a big job.

I would paint the dining room Greek Vanilla. I don't like open spaces broken up.

I would paint the kitchen the same Greek Vanilla. Your floors are so dark. Add your accessories in bold colors.

As for trim, I probably would use the Greek Vanilla in a semi gloss sheen. Boring I know, but for me, the rooms are all different sizes and different ceiling heights. Less is more in this case.

Love the quilts!

Love what you have done so far.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks so much for your reply and ideas .i need to know what to change these countertops too.they are concrete .i can’t afford to replace them..also wana paint these pieces of furniture and brighten them up.excuse the clutter please.I’ve had surgery and trying to recuperate!!!!

• Andrew Smiths
    last month
    last modified: last month

I don't think there is something wrong with this. I think the big empty wall misses some decoration. Have you considered adding wall art or something else there?

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    last month

Andrew
    Yes I have considered that but it’s hard to find .what would you recommend?

• Newideas
    last month

How about hanging your quilts? They are beautiful.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    last month

New ideas
    What’s the best way to hang them

• Newideas
    last month

My mom sewed a pocket on the back of hers into which she inserted a wooden dowel or rod. Then she could hang the rod without damaging the quilt. There may be some guidance on YouTube as to the best way to do this.

• lisa Weatherford
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks new ideas