SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Have you moved across country

3katz4me
2 years ago

when you were 65 or older to a place where you didn’t already have family or friends nearby? We have been pondering selling one of our MN homes and buying a place in a warmer climate. We’re not interested in the typical MN snowbird destinations but would be within a day’s drive of several good friends who live year round in FL, not to mention others who go there a couple months in the winter. It would probably be 50-80 degrees warmer than MN from Dec-Feb but not balmy warm which we are okay with.

Initially I thought winter getaway but the more we investigate the more I think I might like the place at other times of the year such that it might be the primary residence and our MN “aging in place” home would be our base for visits and where we would likely return if health/aging issues became challenging. When we moved in 2015 (both houses) I thought that was the last move but obviously different thinking now.

So I wonder - is this a bit crazy? We are both healthy, adventurous and tend not to do what everyone else is doing. Health of course can change in a heatbeat especially at our age. We don’t have kids and are closer to our friends in FL than family in MN. We are going to visit the area again in a few weeks now thinking more along the line of living vs vacationing. So wondering if anyone here has made a move like this at this age?

Comments (31)