SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_662045026

Stopping water erosion on a slope

Rebecca Rice
2 years ago

Hello!

I have just recently bought a house, and have a large ditch developing in my backyard due to storm run-off. This had been filled in with dirt and rocks from when I had the fence installed. The depth it is now is largely due to 2 inches of rain that fell yesterday. There'd been a little erosion from previous weather, but nothing like this. Looking out the windows, there was basically a small creek going down that ditch, powerful enough to move the gravel that had been filled in outside the fence. I've been talking with a landscape designer, and we are putting in a rock swale on the downhill side of the fence, leading to a rain garden with native plants, so that part should be ok. The yard is intended for agility training with my dogs, and I need to have the area where that ditch is relatively even with the rest of the yard to minimize risks when the dogs are running full speed. Several landscapers I have talked to have mentioned either french drains or dry wells, and either diverting the water behind the fence at the back of the yard (which is uphill, so that trenching is going to be extensive), or around to the front of the house (not too thrilled with this, since I had to have the driveway jacked due to a void beneath it, and sending more water that way doesn't seem like the best idea.) I don't mind the water running in that ditch.... I mind the ditch that it is making by doing so. Would placing a french drain in that already-existing ditch work? Or maybe running one perpendicular to the slope at the top of the hill and running the drain pipe for it in that ditch down to the rock swale? Or any other ideas? I will be trying to get some vegetation (most likely grass) growing in the area, but with the way that rill was running, it's going to be hard to keep the dirt there long enough for the plants to get established. I am open to any suggestions that people may have!

Comments (8)