SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Skip laurel, cherry laurel or wax myrtle for Zone 7a hedging?

smalloldhouse_gw
2 years ago

I am hoping to install some hedging to give a better sense of separation between my house and my neighbor. I sought advice from a nursery which recommended skip laurels (prunus laurocerasus). Based on the app that I've been using to ID shrubs that others in my neighborhood use for a similar purpose, many many people seem to use cherry laurels (prunus caroliniana.) Btw please don't flame me if I've got the distinction here wrong: a lot of googling hasn't helped me really understand if there is a real difference between these two!

Meanwhile, on a local message board, someone recommended using wax myrtle (myrica cerifera) instead of laurels, noting that skip laurels are prone to fungus and that wax myrtle grows more densely. I'm wondering if anyone here can help me decide which direction to take? I'm located a mile or two north of Washington DC and I'm planting in full sun (with a giant old water oak about 25 feet away that provides a bit of screening from the worst of the summer sun.) Thank you!

Comments (10)