SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brettiedaisy

Hoya Wilbur Graves "Russia" vs. "China"?

Brett Osborn
2 years ago

Hi! :) I recently purchased a Hoya Wilbur Graves, and asked the seller if it was a Hoya Wilbur Graves "Russia", or a Wilbur Graves "China", only because someone asked me what I was purchasing. I had (still have) no idea, and couldn't find much on it at all. The seller wrote back and said it was basically a "potatoes, pota(h)toes" situation and that there was only one type of Wilbur Graves.
Can you guys give me a tad bit more insight on what I purchased and also if the seller is correct?
Any information would be extremely helpful and appreciated! Thanks! ^_^
PS: Photo of what I purchased in the comments.

Comments (4)

• Brett Osborn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The Hoya Wilbur Graves I purchased, for reference.

• Tika Land
    2 years ago

Very pretty! I recently came across this in Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoyas/comments/opatbq/hoya_wilbur_graves_information/

This hoya seems to be very controversial.

• Brett Osborn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I JUST read that entire thing too! Haha thanks! :) I also sent it to the seller, who didn't seem to understand what I was asking. -__- I'm going to leave it at he doesn't know and therefore it's most likely a China NOID or something like that. It doesn't matter to me because I love what I got! :) I was just curious, and I think I got my answer.

Thanks again Tika Land! :]

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    2 years ago

I don't do FB at all but I understand there is a very active ID group there. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions.

This is a pretty new controversy, so I would wait a bit for it all to kind of suss out. There will be more videos showing the difference if there is one at some point soon I suspect. People like Basie Plants who has a lot of very well-researched hoya videos or if you see ric’s hoyas RHM post any videos about it that would be another great source.

I'm glad you are able to appreciate it based solely on its appearance. The real issue, IMO, comes if you ever want to share or sell cuttings of it. It's important to provide accurate information as the plant passes along.

Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!