SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yoyobon_gw

OT...........binge-worthy Danish series

yoyobon_gw
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Has anyone else watched the Danish series Seaside Hotel on PBS Masterpiece !?

It takes place between 1921 -1941 at a seaside hotel on the North Sea with wealthy guests returning each summer.

I just finished the final 8th season and absolutely loved it. What a delight.

The characters, the colors, the costumes, the scenery were just so beautiful !

I also appreciated the Danish point of view on so many things.

It is subtitled but I found that after a few moments it wasn't at all problematic.

The characters and story lines are so enjoyable.

Comments (13)

• vee_new
    2 years ago

yoyobon, is this in any way a Scandi-Noir show?

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No idea what "Scandi-Noir" is.

It sure wasn't dark !

• woodnymph2_gw
    2 years ago

Parts of it were put on our Public TV station here a few years ago. I enjoyed it. But then, I love anything Scandinavian. Vee, no, it is anything but dark, in my opinion.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is made as a series so to be best enjoyed you really have to start with Season 1, Episode 1.......which is available on PBS Masterpiece on line.

• vee_new
    2 years ago

yoyo, Scandi noir are the whodunnits made for Norwegian/Swedish TV full of nasty murders and filmed in shades of dark blue and murky grey. They are popular alternative TV viewing on Saturday nights over here.

I have now checked and we can only get the programme on one of the pay-to-view channels.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh heavens no, it' s definitely NOT noir ! It is a beautifully filmed, light, airy fun series. Even when something dire might be happening for the moment, they carry on to the next scene and everything is resolved in the end :0) It's subscribed here also, first week free, cancel any time sort of thing. Well worth it !!

https://www.pbs.org/show/seaside-hotel/

• socks
    2 years ago

I've enjoyed the show very much. Yes, you get used to the subtitles.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is such a cozy for me that I have begun watching the series again !

I view it with my Chromebook on my lap and find that it is more enjoyable.

I do believe I'm also learning Dutch ....LOL !

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just discovered that there is a 9th season of Seaside Hotel which is not yet streaming in the US. Signed up for an alert when it's available !! The story continues in 1945. A lot is happening in Denmark at that time, it should be a great season !

• olychick
    2 years ago

I lurk here sometimes looking for new reading recommendations, but never have posted before. However, I just had to thank you for this thread. I decided to take a look, which prompted me to renew my PBS membership so I could watch it. I am enthralled and can hardly go to bed at night, for wanting to watch just one more episode. Good to see there is another season to come; I'll be so sad when I run out of episodes!

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Olychick ......I am SO happy to hear I have discovered another kindred spirit !! I know exactly what you mean, which is why I am watching the entire series again slowly so that it lasts ! Don't you love the characters and the stories . It has to be my all time favorite series even overshadowing Downton.

• olychick
    2 years ago

I did love Downton, but there is something just so FUN about this. Lacks the grandeur of Downton, but the cinematography is wonderful. Even the less likeable characters are great, even the actor scoundrel - maybe his musical interludes redeem him? And the likeable characters are completely charming. Maybe the actor is likeable, despite being a scoundrel. I just love it. Thanks again!!