SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex0c

Engineered wood: does wear layer matter besides ability to refinish?

alex0c
2 years ago

I understand that you need a 3mm+ wear layer (veneer thickness) if you want to be able to sand and refinish engineered hardwoods. My question is does the thickness of the veneer make a difference for anything else such as durability and scratch/chip resistance, or is that more a function of the protective coating on top and/or the core underneath?

My builder only offers one engineered hardwood in the color we want and the veneer is only 1.2mm thick (overall plank thickness 3/8 inch). Frankly I'm not concerned about the ability to sand and refinish them because at that cost and mess level we'd probably be more inclined to just replace the floor. I am concerned though that the thinner veneer might be more susceptible to scratches and chips.

Of course, the manufacturer hypes up the hyper durable coating claiming it's "the most durable, impact-resistant hardwood on the market". It's a Shaw Duras product with the Repel waterproof coating. I have seen terrible reviews for another Shaw line called Epic (their cheapest line) but this product is $1-2/sf more expense so not sure if it's any better.

Comment (1)