SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_ourisman

Induction Cooktops: Thermador Freedom Discontinued, now what?

Jessica Ourisman
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

TL;DR: Does wattage matter with induction cooking? A good sear is important and Miele has 7700W on their strongest burner vs. most others that max somewhere between 3500 and 5500.

I had my heart set on the Thermador Freedom cooktop for my new kitchen. I ordered it back in October 2021 and paid in full at Ferguson. I thought all was well on its way with my construction completion date set for May 2022. I've just heard from Ferguson that Thermador has discontinued the Freedom. I've made calls to several other appliance stores and can't get a straigh answer other than it is impossible to order at this time and noone has one in stock. It has disappeared from the Thermador website, too. I am so sad, confused, and frustrated!

So, I am back to the drawing board; trying to put the emotions aside and think rationally. I've been reading other reviews and discussions and most user manuals for other options. Thermador Liberty was the first contender for simplicity sake, but it seems overpriced when compared to competitors. What am I paying for if I can't have the Freedom's full cooking surface? Miele seems to be the stronger, more reliable, and more popular option. I prefer the look of F&P plus I've already ordered F&P fridge/freezer columns and the cooldrawer (ovens and diswasher will be Bosch).

Currently, the top 3 contenders are (all 36" cooktops):

1. Miele KM6370
  2. Fisher & Paykel CI365DTB4
  3. Wolf Transitional

Power:

We do a lot of searing in our cooking and want to make sure we have plenty of power to work with (and good ventilation, as well). Miele found its way to the top of our list of contenders because it has the unique smart hood and the highest wattage - 7700W with twinbooster. Most other options range between 3500 and 5500W with power boost. Some, like Monogram, don't seem to have any power boost feature. How much does wattage matter? Should that be the deciding factor? I've only ever worked with a portable induction burner with much lower wattage and it doesn't give a great sear so I'm not sure how much more power I need.

Configuration:

Flexibility and ability to handle pans of all sizes is also an important factor for us and the reason we originally settled on Thermador. So, without the full surface cooking, smart burner configuration and bridge burners are a must.

• I don't love the Miele configuration. The biggest round burner only tops out at 3100W and is pushed back behind the controls. The bridge burner is the one with the 7700W twin boost so I presume if I want the most power I will have to do my searing on a griddle (not a complete deal breaker).
  • Wolf was a strong contender for configuration & flexibility. If I understand the website correctly, you can choose which burners to bridge together. But the top wattage is only 3700.

So, calling all induction cooking experts! What features are most important for judging the best brands? What are your favorites and why?

Comments (40)