SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blandy514

Design Dilemma - white backsplash with cherry cabinets and granite?

blandy514
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have started a renovation to do floors and second bathroom and, as I am sure you can relate to, I have started to see more I would like to change. I redid the kitchen about 12 years ago, cherry cabinets with busy granite top and 1 x 2” glass backsplash. Just from a design preference now I am tempted to go with white quartz counters and backsplash, but hadn’t planned replacing the counters when I started, they are in great shape, and already stretching the budget. So I was thinking maybe just change the backsplash which needs repair anyway. White glossy plain tile - what size would you do? Or do you say throw caution (and $$$) to the wind and do the quartz? Any other suggestions welcome!

Comments (39)

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

Your kitchen is very pretty and I think you should keep your countertops. I would see if there are any slightly off white tiles - like a biscuit color, that you like. I agree that your counters have a lot of movement so a simple tile layout would be best. I'd get a couple of sample boards to bring home and see what size and layout looks best to your eye.

blandy514 thanked Kendrah
  • anj_p
    2 years ago

I think the white backsplash would be too stark with your cabinets and counters. I agree with Kendrah - get the lightest color in your counter and match that to your backsplash. Do you have undercabinet lighting? I might start with that if not.

blandy514 thanked anj_p
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen photos- white cabinets, subway tile backsplash, cherry bu

Q

Comments (20)
    Your kitchen is very open and inviting. It all blends together nicely. I like your countertop with your cabinets and BS. The glass cabinets are lovely. I'd like to ask if the muntin are in the glass cabinets line up well with the shelves? It appears so in your case. How are the muntins attached to the glass? Thank you very much and thanks for posting.
    ...See More

To granite backsplash or not to granite backsplash?

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't like the 4" backsplash for the following reasons: - if you are doing a decorative tile for the rest of the backsplash, you are now decreasing and cutting off your design area by 4". - the 4" creates a little "shelf" that gets dusty, just one more thing to clean. - added expense to install the 4" piece of granite along your countertop. - people who say you "need it" to cover a gap between the countertop and the tiled wall just don't have good installers. My kitchen walls are extremely out-of-plumb, but my tile backsplash meets my granite countertop with no gaps cause I had experienced installers. - IMHO it looks dated, since the 4" idea was popular with formica in the '70's. I would only do a 4" backsplash if I were doing no other backsplash at all and just leaving drywall on the rest of the wall. And even in that case, I'd try to make it a little higher, like 5" or 6".
    ...See More

Backsplash Help - Alaska White Granite, Off White Cabinets

Q

Comments (20)
    Oh my gosh! I'm reading all of your posts right now to my Hubby so he'll know I'm NOT the only one who can't make a decision on a backsplash! LOL I have the white Alaska granite countertops as well. It has been well over a year and I still can't decide! And although I do love them, it's such a hard decision to match them with a BS! I'm so happy I came across all of your posts. I know your struggles! However, hopefully, by now you have found the perfect backsplash for your kitchen countertops! Please post pictures if you have time. I'd really enjoy seeing some of the choices you have made. Karen backsplash less in Florence, Oregon :(
    ...See More

Cherry Cabinets, wood floors and dark granite. Backsplash to update?

Q

Comments (14)
    clétile.com“@Sammy I think the sagey or celadon would work, not sure if terra cotta would lighten things up to much. By brick tile do you mean brick/subway in the sagey or celadon color.” Yes? ;) Actually I was thinking of a terra-cotta brick tile glazed in a celadon or silver sage so you wouldn’t really see it as being a terra-cotta tile. Know what I mean? I’m kind of headachey at the moment so I’ll show rather than tell—sort of. Here, look at this website:Clé tile glazed terra-cotta tile Glass is also lovely in a grey/green/blue. Regarding the Ubatuba: I think it gets a bad rap as being basic, but, it’s really very beautiful and very versatile. So please keep it. :) And one of my favorite tile sites: Fireclay glazed thin brick
    ...See More
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

I like your countertop with your cabs -- I can see some of the streaking in the countertop ties in nicely with the color of your cabs. Update the backsplash to a soft warm white or cream (not white), put in some undercabinet lights and the space will look quite nice! You might also consider a different wall paint color, but not much wall or rest of the space showing in the pic to offer any helpful suggestions.

blandy514 thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • plf12652
    2 years ago

Better photos will help

blandy514 thanked plf12652
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

Love your cabinets! (Cherry is one of my absolute favorites.) Right now the kitchen looks quite cohesive. I think changing out the backsplash to a crisp white would be too jarring and would not be as successful. I'd suggest either changing out the countertops and backsplash or looking for a backsplash that connects better with the color of the countertops than white would. You might be able to get away with something creamy, but not crisp white.

blandy514 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I suspect you are right. This is the floor tile I chose which started it all….has white and gold and cream and gray. I loved it and thought it could work with the granite but am having second thoughts…

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

almond/ biscuit /cream are always the worst tones with cherry cabs. hopefully the counter has enough grays / some black which should be okay to leave in place. If you dont like the counter then change it but do the crisp white tile . / maybe a tonal white w some gray but maybe not. ....just bring home samples for sure.

Transitional Kitchen with Medallion Cherry Cabinets and Quartz Countertop · More Info

Cherry Creek Country Club Project · More Info

Craftsmen Kitchen Storage · More Info

solid cherry cabinets, marble subway tile backsplash, stainless steel appliances · More Info

• plf12652
    2 years ago

Have you put the gray tiles down?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

That was my same question -- did you already put the tile down? If not -- don't; what you have now looks good, dare I say better, with your cabs. You're opening a big can of worms going down the grey path, it's all going to have to change -- wall color, backsplash, granite, all of it or it won't look cohesive. It's perfectly fine to change all that if you wantto; but if you don't then leave the floor alone.

• JoAnn Babish
    2 years ago

Herbflavor , why do you say cream/almond/biscuit are worst colors with cherry? Is a crisp white color better? Thanks!

• blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all for weighing in. I haven't put the tile down, but it has been ordered. The floor is the same in living, dining, kitchen, hallway and second bath, everywhere but hardwood bedrooms and tile master bath) so yes, changing paint and baseboards and all of it - the floor and the second bathroom were the start of it all. I'm done with the 13 x 13 original (pinkish tone) tile that is there. . . .I could have gone with the same colour palette I guess but wanted a bigger change. Floor tile is much more of a warm grey than it looks in the first picture - a mistake? Herbflavor, I think I am going for the look in your first picture, which means I guess changing the granite. Where are you suggesting the crisp white tile?. . . .

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

"Floor tile a mistake?"

Not a mistake unless you don't change the granite and backsplash along with it. Change the whole package and it will be quite nice! You could do a soft white countertop (doesn't have to be granite -- consider Corian et al) or something in the grey family, light or dark.

blandy514 thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for that mxk3 z5b_MI. if I change the countertop and backsplash it will be plain white quartz, just like you suggest. (I have a sample and a quote 😵‍💫 - it all started with wanting to redo the floors with something that would work with the granite and now . . . .!)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

HAHA yea that's the way it always is...mine started with a need to replace a failing ceramic tile countertop...here I am 1.5 years later, too many $$$ to count and still not done BAH!

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

the first pic above is good. white counters/white tile. as to beiges/ivories w cherry note : which do you like. I think the beigey options make the space look tired. Cherry has an amazing

patina and lustre it only needs good quality light counters and a white tile splash..very easy. ......the first pic here is classic/beautiful never get tired of it...the second two pics just dont work well w cherry but some may see it differently.

Lake House Prairie Style Kitchen and Bath Cabinetry · More Info

Leesburg Traditional Cherry Kitchen - Pendants · More Info

Old Meets New · More Info

. if you like beige put it in. I like some beiges and putty and generally like neutrals just not with cherry cabs.

• blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I know I'm in good company!

• plf12652
    2 years ago

Some of the pictures posted above of cherry have stained cherry that gives it brown tones or mahogany tones…..not your cherry which looks natural (unstained?) with red tones.
    Although the gray tiles can work with your cherry cabinets, I don’t see your current granite and backsplash working with the gray floor tiles. I would wait until the floor is installed then get samples of granite and backsplash tiles to see in your space.

• blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you…. I am starting to regret the tile decision but I did want to introduce some gray and move away from cream floors and originally thought these could work with the granite….appreciate the suggestion plf12652 to wait and see the floors. Redoing the countertops and backsplash wasn’t part of the original plan, and counters are a beautiful piece of stone but tastes change. What’s the lifespan for kitchen counters anyway 🙃?

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

floor might work. they recede a bit and floor mats come in quite often. dont worry. its the one above in front of wine cubbies? the existing backsplash needs repairs so you are pulling it out. ?? a very simple coolwhite tile or slight gray undertone . I think regular subway size . just bring in samples the counter can stay unless you really want it out. kitchen counters in granite have long life but fatigue w certain patterns / colors sets in. which makes it kind of difficult. yours is on the edge maybe a little passe but certainly okay to work w it. this might all pull together better than you think . your cabinets are really nice you dont have to overthink this.

Auburn Kitchen Reno · More Info

blandy514 thanked herbflavor
  • PRO
    Nellie Vin
    2 years ago

Yes, budget most important , don;t go too much further try change just backslash that would be less expensive if you go with what you can change fast and easy. Looks like need some brighter or darker back splash, to make visual connection top and bottom, easy to do just with wallpaper , shiplap , or even with wall decal, known as wall stickers, peel & stick. What I like all about this back splash type ? ! its easy to change after you get tired of the colors or just want to do other color settings all over the area. Here used William Morris wallpaper examples, but there is zillion to choose from . The best wishes. Would love to see final project. :-)

blandy514 thanked Nellie Vin
  • blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes Herbflavor, still really like the cherry cabinets and going to see about a few touch ups here and there but they are in really good shape and I have a lot of them 😵‍💫, built in ceiling height pantry and desk etc.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Take a look at Complete Tile, hand-made tiles from NY. I think this Vanilla Cream would look great.

blandy514 thanked houssaon
  • Tanya
    2 years ago

Hello,
    I love the floor tile you picked. It really looks like it can play nicely with warm and cool colors. Plus I 100% agree the old square almond floor tiles have got to go. They so quickly date everything else in the house. I love your cabinets and think you can easily achieve some of the fabulous looks Herbflavor posted. I never thought about it before but what a difference the bright white looks with cherry cabs versus the almond/beige. You mentioned you are redoing some other rooms. Maybe you can reuse your kitchen granite in a laundry room or spare bathroom. You could also sell it and put the $ towards a new counter. Good luck and keep us posted.

blandy514 thanked Tanya
  • felizlady
    2 years ago

The backsplash should match one of the light colors in the counter.

• blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Tanya, that’s exactly the reason I picked the tile - has gold and white and I think would work with both warm and cool. I’ve been second guessing myself so I appreciate that you like them and what a great idea! I never thought of selling the old granite. Now I must do a little homework on that. … .🙃

• Tanya
    2 years ago

I recently had LG Viatera quartz in Etude installed. I purchased it for the exact same reason as it has light veining in gray and gold. It goes great with my black and white cabs, plus the warm wood of my vintage MCM piece.

blandy514 thanked Tanya
  • blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just looked on line at it, beautiful!

• Tanya
    2 years ago

I can always share come pics of it installed if you’d like. I only mentioned it because I had the same warm/cool dilemma.

blandy514 thanked Tanya
  • blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes would love to see, thank you!

• Tanya
    2 years ago

I tried to get a good close up of the Veining. Plus a pic of it with the different colors/materials in my kitchen/dining room.

blandy514 thanked Tanya
  • blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love it… so subtle and elegant….will look around to see who might have a sample here…

• blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My cherry cabinets are also natural colour, lots of red. I love the pictures above with the white countertops, herbflavor and lindalana. If I change it all, I think white is the way to go, pick up on the floor tile too, but if I just change the backsplash maybe an offwhite, as you point out, there is not really any bright white in the countertop.

This is my first time here and you have all given me what to think about. If I was practical (not always) maybe that's my cue to look around at options but also see how I feel once the floors are in . . . .you have helped a lot, thank you!

• dan1888
    2 years ago

Compliments on the floor tile. The colors bring out nice tones in your cabinets. Keep looking for counter material and backsplash that continue within the same range. I don't feel bright white would be in that group.

blandy514 thanked dan1888
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I think it's too bad that you can no longer appreciate your granite - it looks so nice with your beautiful cabinets and it would be easy to update the backsplash without wasting the current countertops. Just remember, if you are going to chase trends (a few years ago it was granite) that soon quartz is the stuff that will be ripped out in favor of some other 'new' look.
    I would not install the gray tiles; the current ones look like a good color with your cabinets and countertops; I would probably just have them regrouted with a lighter grout. But if you are installing them in the rest of the house, then you wouldn't want to have different tile in the kitchen. Have you considered wood in the rest of the house and leaving the tile in the kitchen?

blandy514 thanked Olychick
  • blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Olychick, I have medium toned hardwood in the bedrooms but going with replacing existing tile with tile because I have so much wood everywhere else, cherry in the kitchen and all my furniture in the living and dining room is wood so enough wood. I have lived with tile for a long time, like the cleanliness of it.

• sholt576
    2 years ago

I think this is definitely a decision that doesn't have to be made all at once. As someone suggested earlier, get the floors in and live with them for awhile. See how you feel about the counters/backsplash with the new floors. I think you granite looks really nice with your cabs but I personally would never be happy with beige/biscuit/almond backsplash (too much time spent living with almond to ever want to do it again.)

I think you're making a great start by getting rid of your square beige tile floors. If you find they really don't do well with your granite, then spend time really considering what material and color you want. I have beautiful white quartz in my master bath, and immediately knew I could never live with it in my kitchen. It must constantly be wiped down in order to look great. Your current countertops look great even when they are a tad messy. Is that something you're willing to give up?

blandy514 thanked sholt576
  • blandy514
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks sholt576 and you raise a good point I hadn’t thought of, the granite is very forgiving. Since I am so torn it does seem most prudent to wait and live with the new tile, just not so keen on two sessions of renovation chaos . … .we’ll see how I make out. …I still appreciate the granite, in places it is like a work of art, just not what I would choose today (and surprised myself choosing it all those years ago) . …

• blandy514
    Original Author
    last year

Thought i would update with thanks. Your comments really got me thinking about discarding the beautiful granite, even though it was not a choice I would make today. And after a typically rainy few days in the Pacific Northwest I decided the tile had to be light, elevate the space, and the gray one wouldn’t do that. So I ended up getting the same tile in their white colour, and redoing the backsplash. Very happy to have made that change before it was too late - tile was ordered but not delivered. Thank you all for the input, it really helped me think of things I hadn’t …..