FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
john_smolowe

where can i fine the rose evelyn?

John Smolowe
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

hi - evelyn is my favorite rose - both for form and for fragrance. the flower size is 4 to 5". david austin has discontinued it. does anyone know a source where i can buy another? thanks, john

Comments (91)

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    last month
    last modified: last month

Apricot coloring

pink coloring, same plant

i havent taken many of the washed out pink but it also produces those types of blooms that age to white.

ill try and get some pictures tomorrow. its evening and i have 3 toddlers 🥴

• strawchicago z5
    last month

The frilly petals (esp. on buds) remind me of the Wedgwood Rose Climber. Some pics. of Wedgwood rose from the web. Note the "peeled out" lighter petals:

Below pics. of Wedgwood Rose is from HMF:

Note the dark-green & glossy foliage as described by Austin Catalog per Wedgwood Rose & shown in the 1st pic. which is often mistaken for Evelyn (also has dark-green & glossy foliage)

• Related Discussions

WANTED: evelyn,rose

Q

Comments (3)
    Welcome to Garden Web! I see it is a patented David Austin rose. It is available at davidaustinroses.com for $19.95, and also at Heirloomroses.com for $16.95. The heirloomrose site stated that they are only mailing to zones 7 and up at this time of year...others will be mailed in the spring. She (Evelyn) is a real beauty. Sue Here is a link that might be useful: Evelyn at Heirloomroses
    ...See More

Is it Evelyn ? unknown rose at new house

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks Nastarana - i have NO plans to SP any roses (even the PO's old HT's that died off and left me with a handfull of Dr. Huey's are enjoying a place on a far off fence that needed some color) I just came in from doing some early spring cleaning it he yard. I got a bug up my ... and pruned back all the roses about 1/2 way. They all showed signs of new red bud growth so I dont think I did a bad deed - Evelyn was among these. I hit her hard (ok, for me it was hard pruning, im a real light-weight on the pruning thing, big yard so I like pig plants). Wish me and the roses luck in a month or so ...
    ...See More

English rose, Evelyn

Q

Comments (18)
    Yes Paul but do they have the same vigor, ability to grow well on their own roots, tight OGR flower form, large bloom size, and unique peachy-sweet fragrance? The only other rose I've seen that approaches the perfection of her luminous blossoms is JAUNE DESPREZ and that monster has smaller flowers. I know you rate ABRAHAM DARBY higher but the color of its blossoms appear a little "grayed" to my eyes. EVELYN is terribly fussy though. You've got to grow this goddess where she'll be shaded from afternoon sun. Prone to black spot here in the East and demands the best growing conditions: Eastern location, heavy feeding, frequent watering, careful pruning, spraying, the works. For the novice I recommend TAMORA instead. The clarity of the apricot color is actually better (but frankly I prefer Evelyn's blend of pinks and peaches) and the growth habit is more universily acceptable. Nice fragrance, reliable repeat, decent disease resistance. One of my MIL's favorite roses (she grew it in a big pot on her patio). But give me EVELYN. Those blooms! Here is a link that might be useful: The Most Beautiful Rose in the World
    ...See More

Where can I find fine Perlite?

Q

Comments (8)
    You can also try to call Midwest Perlite and see if they can help you locate what you need. Many of the finer grades of Perlite are used in industrial (hot topping) and construction (loose fill insulation)industries. Keith is the owner of Midwest Perlite and should be able to help you out. Here is a link that might be useful: Midwest Perlite webpage
    ...See More
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    last month

That bottom picture with the delicate outer layer of petals looks like mine, except so far mine have not been that clear of a pink

this is from just now

• strawchicago z5
    last month

jc_7a_MiddleTN Clear pink is from acidic & loamy soil, I get clear pink on Evelyn with recent tons of rain, but I get peachy pink from Evelyn when my soil pH was dense & sticky clay at pH near 8 (decade ago).

Since David Austin roses are in rainy & acidic soil England, pics. of Wedgwood rose are clear pink in such acidic soil. Here's an excerpt from David Austin catalog on The Wedgwood Rose "70 petals. Soft rose pink, with pale pink outer petals. Ample dark green, glossy foliage. Large shrub of 5 x 3 ft or even better as a climber, reaching 8 x 10 ft. Grapefruit scent with hints of clove"

David Austin catalog on Evelyn: "100 petals. Best suited for warmer climate. Large blooms soft apricot or pink. Wonderful old rose scent with notes of fresh peaches and apricot. 4 x 3 feet".

Sam in Organic Rose forum used to post pics. of his Wedgewood Rose (grafted on multiflora) being pink (his soil is sandy & acidic in NY).

Folks in HMF & forum reported Wedgwood rose as NOT MUCH scent.

I can see why the Wedgwood Rose (70 petals) is mistaken for Evelyn. BOTH HAVE DARK GREEN AND GLOSSY FOLIAGE, but Evelyn has more petals at 100, and St. Swithun has even more petals at 130.

Below are my Evelyn blooms, the 1st one with color DEEP PINK from testing vinegar and molasses:

Below is the SAME EVELYN, but with higher soil pH (rock hard clay at pH near 8). My alkaline clay is very sticky (high in magnesium), and magnesium shifts bloom to the yellow zone.

Below is Evelyn after I moved it and put the entire bag of loamy MG-garden soil for roses (neutral pH), plus tons of acidic rain, thus pinker color. Evelyn's 5 inch. bloom is larger than Sweet Mademoiselle behind it, and much larger than Princess Charlene de Monaco (white behind):

Below is Evelyn when it was in my high magnesium (alkaline sticky clay) which imparts an apricot color:

Below was Evelyn bloom when I fertilized it with Azomite at pH over 8, Note the dark-green and glossy foliage:

In dense alkaline clay, own-root Evelyn blooms are peachy/apricot color. Evelyn 5 inch blooms are always the largest among my 34 Austins, and always largest among my 150 own-root fragrant roses. It's the only Austin that hates partial shade, and does best in full sun & doesn't fry at 100 F hot temp.

• strawchicago z5
    last month

Below are pics. of The Wedgwood Rose (taken from the web) to compare the leaves. Less thorny than Evelyn:

Note below Wedgwood rose has cluster blooming at laterals, plus less thorn canes, plus peeled-out and lighter outer petals.

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    last month

I grow Wedgwood. She is lovely and a rather under-rated Austin IMO. Almost thornless, too. Although what ones she does have have a wicked slice to them. Lovely scent, but I can’t describe scents. You don’t see pictures of her fully -opened blooms often, but they look like a mandala. I’m glad I have her.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    last month

This is my Evelyn blooming in a cluster on what i think is a lateral. hope i havent been using the incorrect term

same plant, but a main stem with a cluster of blooms

Leaves and thorns

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    last month

Straw do you think i have wedgewood rose or st swithun and not evelyn?

• strawchicago z5
    last month

St. Swithun is flatter cup (130 petals), Evelyn is also flatter cup (100 petals). Wedgwood rose at 70 petals is deeper cup. Most likely you have the Wedgwood rose, and a very pretty color.

Your thorns are different from Evelyn's pointy reddish thorns. Evelyn never bloom on laterals, but on top of octopus canes only, as evident by Noseometer's bush in HMF and also Diane Brakefield bush, and my bush. Noseometer wrote about Evelyn's intense peach scent, and I also noted that on my 1st Evelyn bloom back in 2011.

Evelyn is the most easy to root !! I made rootings and gave to friends .. and they all raved about how good their 1st bloom smell: wonderful ripe peaches and old rose.

Below are the reddish & sharp thorns on my Evelyn:

Below is Noseometer (zone 7, New Mexico) picture of Evelyn in HMF. Note that his own-root Evelyn blooms AT THE TOP of canes only, just like my own-root Evelyn and Diane Brakefield's grafted Evelyn. His canes and thorns are reddish like my Evelyn:

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    last month

Wedgwood is known for its picotee petals(pic included from Google) I can’t tell from JC’s pic if hers have them or not. The canes are thin and it has a draping look to it. Mostly lays on the ground if not supported. Mine has always been pink and not apricot, but that doesn’t mean anything. I transplanted it last year so it’s a bit stunted, but I will take some pictures tomorrow.

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    last month

Petal edging on wedgewood from google

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    last month

JC your Evelyn looks like my Wollerton Old Hall, to me.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    last month

Sigh.

i guess ill email the vendor but its been two years.

I was holding out hope, but this is not Evelyn after all.

• strawchicago z5
    last month

jc_7a_MiddleTN Your Wedgwood rose is incredibly beautiful, I would love to have such !!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    19 days ago

At the risk of appearing disrespectful, the seller emailed me back and said based on these pictures that the roses are Evelyn.

If there was another source, I wouldn’t bother. But there are numerous threads each season where posters are unable to purchase Evelyn.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    17 days ago

Evelyn is one of my all time favourite and I have posted a few pictures of them many years ago in this forum when I was a more active poster. I have two bushes and one bud has just opened today. Since I need to buy more roses to replace a few of the ones I lost during last winter, I am thinking of growing more Evelyns if I find them. Here is a newly bud that just opened today. I will posts more as the buds open up.

• berrypiez6b
    17 days ago

Beautiful jjpeace , You have one of the very best !

17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Thank you Berry. I was worried that mine is not the "real" Evelyn as I have just read this thread this morning. By coincidence the first bud opened today so I am waiting for someone to tell me this is not Evelyn...I hope not...lol I am actually thinking of propogating it as many people have said that it is hard to find her. I found both of my plants in my local garden nursery but that was more than four years ago since I visited a garden nursery.

• berrypiez6b
    17 days ago

To me the way the petals kind of wiggle and crinkle in the middle it sure looks like Evelyn, that's what mine did.

17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I remember on some days it is more of a apricot colour as the blooms ages. I am really considering mass planting this rose but I was shocked how much roses cost these days. The lowest price I saw for an austin rose is almost 50 canadian dollars. Yikes compared to about 19 dollars a few years back and I thought it was expensive back then. Some online vendors sell close to 80 dollars and they are quickly sold out. after only a few days.

• berrypiez6b
    17 days ago

My first own root Evelyn was 18 dollars nine years ago. She is still going strong.

• Diane Brakefield
    17 days ago

I've grown four grafted Evelyn roses for 18 years, and they're still going strong, too, but I couldn't tell you what I paid for them. I didn't really start noticing the cost of roses until 6 or 7 years ago when the prices really escalated. But I haven't bought many roses in recent years because I've run out of space. Maybe that's a good thing. Diane

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    16 days ago

I paid ungodly amounts for Evelyn. I think it was worth it given that the sources I bought from aren't sources for it anymore.

16 days ago

Now I am worried what is going to happen if I lose Evelyn. I may have to try propagating it which I have never tried. I haven't visited any garden nurseries yet since the pandemic but it was easy to find Evelyn up here in toronto, Canada a few years ago.

• strawchicago z5
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks) Just saw your message in my Houzz about exchanging cuttings for my Evelyn rooting. I sent you a message today June 14, please check your inbox in Houzz.

jjpeace (zone 5b Canada) Evelyn is the easiest rose to root, giving a bloom after 4 months of rooting. I rooted Evelyn in 1/3 to 1/4 perlite and fluffy organic potting soil, with a glass Mason jar on top. It's good to root a back-up Evelyn for oneself.

Evelyn is just as vigorous as Princess Charlene de Monaco, Dee-lish, Scepter'd Isle, and Savannah as own-root. Mine actually shrinks to be smaller in its 12th-year. Still remember Evelyn throwing a 3 feet octopus cane in its 1st-year as own-root. Here's a pic. of the base of Evelyn when it was a young own-root with thick canes that root easily. Note the big reddish thorns in early spring:

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    10 days ago

are there different flavors of Evelyn? One of mine is more pink, the other one is a lot more peachy apricot. Both are blooming simultaneously.

• palytoxinz5il
    10 days ago

My Evelyn is very pink right now. I have a very hard time telling the difference between Evelyn and Abe Darby.

Claire

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b)
    10 days ago

My Evelyns have different colors of pinks, peaches, apricots and so do the Abe Darbys. In general, the Evelyns blooms are more pink than the Abes but crazy weather(hot or cold), humidty, etc all seem to play a role.

I usually get pinker tones on my roses in winter and the coral/apricot tones more in the late spring/summer/early fall on many of my roses. I've had some Abe blooms every once in a while that are identical in shape to Evelyns.

Then, there is Princess Charlene de Monaco who can look just like Abe!

They are all chameleons! lol

• Diane Brakefield
    10 days ago

Which do you prefer? They're all Evelyn. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b)
    10 days ago

Wow! The first one and especially the last one really resemble either Abe or PCdM lol.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    10 days ago

I can’t pick a favorite-they are all scrumptious!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    10 days ago

Scrumptious is the word, oursteelers. When, oh when will David Austin have it back in stock??

• Diane Brakefield
    10 days ago

Sultry, those photos are all definitely Evelyn, not Abe. I've grown E's for 18 years. I do grow a "small" Abe, too. Diane

Abe

• John Smolowe
    Original Author
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

yes, those all look like evelyn, not abraham darby. in my experience, evelyn is colored uniformly apricot across the flower, whereas abe typically has several shades in the same flower. overall a similar hue to evelyn, but from close up abe has some petals apricot and some petals pink. also, abe is moderately fragrant, and evelyn is extremely fragrant. in my experience, evelyn grows taller. my abe blackspots; my evelyns do not. here are 3 photos of abraham darby:

• KrystalW 9b
    8 days ago

I reached out to David Austin‘s customer service recently regarding when Evelyn might come back and they said they are retiring her and will no longer be growing or selling. They recommended Dame Judi Dench or The Lady Gardener to satisfy my search for Evelyn.

I’m new here but i thought this bit of information could be helpful. My heart is a bit broken that it makes Evelyn more elusive, but maybe i’ll come across it elsewhere one day!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    8 days ago

Krystal, The Lady Gardener was just planted in my garden this spring so I don’t have anything to report and I don’t have Dame Judi Dench but I haven’t read great reports on here about her.

So sad about Evelyn-a great rose. Definitely keep hunting for her!

• BenT (9B Sunset 14)
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

I’m sorry to hear that @KrystalW 9b. I’m hoping your customer service rep got some bad info and that Evelyn will still be available.

I can’t believe they recommend dieback-prone Dame Judi as a substitute for magnificent voluptuous Evelyn, what a fool. That’s like recommending a gumball machine cubic zirconia for a the best diamond at TIffany’s. Sorry, some of DA’s practices are so infuriating.

Evelyn is extremely easy to root, so if you know someone who has a plant you could try to root it out. I bet in zone 9b it might go from root to bloom in 1 season.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    8 days ago

Fortunately it's long out of patent so Evelyn can be propagated. I have the Lady Gardener and think she pales in comparison. Very floriferous, but the blooms themselves lack the heady fragrance and thick petals IMO. I feel like PCdM is closer in style.

8 days ago

Strawchicago - thanks for the information. I may try it when time permits.

Both of my Evelyns are very tiny this year. I have been neglecting my garden but this year I will fertilize more. The weather here has been coolish except the last two days with searing heat. I do believe that some roses prefer the heat while others do not. I seem to have both pink and apricot flowers on one of the plant.

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    8 days ago

A number of David Austin reps have confirmed Evelyn is gone for good, if you lose her, you will get credit, not Evelyn.

• berrypiez6b
    8 days ago

What a mistake to discontinue Evelyn.

• Meghan (VT, 5b)
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Well, since it’s out of patent if anyone wants to try their hand at selling cuttings I’ll be a willing guinea pig and accept risk of loss!

In the meantime i just emailed David Austin. Maybe they will cave to pleas/popular outcry/threats of black market cutting sales. :)

Annoying if true about contracting out to smaller flower farmers. Buying stuff thats popular is a cutthroat feeding frenzy and there is, seems to me from my experience of buying dahlia tubers, a not insignificant risk of getting a not great product. (That said i ordered some roses from Menagerie which seems flower farm-y, Instagram-y and they are wonderfully healthy and doing far better than a few bare roots and small potted roses I got directly from DA.)

Bummer: just checked Menagerie hoping they might be one of the sellers and their site also says discintinued. First search result was a small seller asking $73 + $21 shipping. lol out of stock.

Make those cuttings! 💰

Please post here anyone who finds—or wants to sell. If thats legal sorry I am newish and dont post often

• palytoxinz5il
    7 days ago

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago looking desperately for cuttings or young plant of Evelyn. I just trimmed my Evelyn after thr spring flush, and I am trying to root all the trimmed branches. Maybe i will have some to share by fall. fingers crossed.

Claire

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    7 days ago

Some of us live in agricultural states that have strict laws about importing plant material. This makes it difficult when trying to find one of these elusive roses like Evelyn. I want her rather badly and would be happy to find someone within the state of Arizona who grows her and could send me a a few cuttings to root. Anyone on this forum in Arizona who grows Evelyn?

• strawchicago z5
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

It's easier to send cuttings than rootings since one can dunk cuttings in a bucket of water and soak for 10 min to kill all insects. Complete submersion of all leaves & stems under water for 10 min. is enough to kill all pests (thrips, rose slugs, etc).

I don't have chili thrips in my zone 5a, but it's a problem in warmer zones.

After throwing cuttings into a large bucket of water, I push down with a smaller bucket to make sure cuttings are under water for at least 10 min.

Sawfly larvae is contagious. I have a 12th-year old Radio Times which got infected by rose slugs FOR THE FIRST TIME in 12 years !! I grew Wise Portia in a poor drainage pot, so it came down with rose-slug infestation. I took that out and put in a fast-draining air-pot, rose-slug is gone in that rose. But I took Wise Portia's old potting soil and topped Radio Times with that, and Radio Times came down with rose-slug.

Any insects can be transferred with cuttings. Today I saw a tiny green bug crawled out of the cuttings I received from another state, after being in the mail for 1 week. So I always submerge all the cuttings I receive in a bucket of water for at least 10 min.

I have been rooting Evelyn since 2012 and gave plenty of rootings away. But due to high risk of insects being spread across the states, I would rather send cuttings of Evelyn, plus instructions on how to root it, see the link below:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6258573/rooting-methods-that-work-best-for-your-soil-and-climate#n=14

The easiest way to root Evelyn is to mix 1/3 perlite with 2/3 ORGANIC potting soil (then wet with rain-water or bottled distilled water), Stuff that into a plastic cup (with many holes at bottom), then put that plastic cup into another larger container with 1 inch of water inside (to water from below). Then put a glass mason jar or a tall glass vase on top (50 cents from Goodwill store). That should be kept OUT OF heavy rain and sun, like under a porch for 1 month. Distilled water or rain-water is best for rooting. After 1 month, you can see the roots coming out of the bottom of your clear plastic cup, and Evelyn is ready to be planted in 1/4 perlite and 3/4 peat moss potting soil, and fertilized with SOLUBLE fertilizer at 1/4 the dose. Below is my Evelyn, pic. taken early June 2022, note the reddish big thorns .. only Evelyn has such thorns. It's a 12-year own-root, stems get thicker with age. I never see blackspots on own-root Evelyn for the past 12 years, but I see blackspots on my own-root Abraham Darby.

• K L
    6 days ago

If cut flower farms are buying them up, does anyone know where to order bouquets of Evelyn? I'd like to try rooting it. I'm really upset because I've wanted to get Evelyn for so long but wasn't able to garden where I lived before and I hear about it being discontinued now. Is there really no source (that ships to California) selling Evelyn?

• KrystalW 9b
    6 days ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW Thanks for your response! i look forward to seeing how The Lady Gardener does for you, although i don’t think (based off of photos) it will be an Evelyn replacement for me. It does look beautiful though!

@BenT (9B Sunset 14) Definitely won’t be purchasing Dame Judi Dench! I wish they had a better suggestion, but it is what it is. Unfortunately i dont know anyone who has a plant that I could take a cutting from, although that sounds like a fun little project if I did!

@Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b I appreciate your input on The Lady Gardener. I truly love the look of Evelyn and the description of her fragrance!

She will be known to me as the ever elusive Evelyn (for now).

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    5 days ago

KL, if you find a place to buy Evelyn cut roses, let me know. I've had the same thought. Every time I search Evelyn on google, the DA site pops up with 'In stock' in bold letters. My heart jumps every time, only to realize once again that's just a teaser. 😡 I really wish they'd change that, its so mean.

• strawchicago z5
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

LongAgoRoses sells Evelyn band-size (shipping to south & midwest and east coast only). I'm sending Mindy of Hummingbird roses a bunch of my Evelyn rootings (at least 10), but her Austins are sold out fast, best to order a year in advance. I can root, but I can't keep rootings alive through my zone 5a winter, so I send them out. My garage doesn't have enough space to keep rootings.

• berrypiez6b
    4 days ago

Straw you are an angel !