SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_768319455

8x8 bathroom layout with tub and shower

M S
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

First post here - I have a 94" x 95" bathroom that currently just has a tub and I'd like to remodel to include a separate tub and a shower. I took a shot at putting down a rough design and would love some feedback/ideas on the layout. Thanks!

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

Comments (29)

• Helen
    2 years ago

I think the space is too small to accomodate a separate tub and shower.

The stall shower is so small that it would provide a horrible showering experience.

I remodeled and got rid of the tub/shower combination for a walk in shower. During my remodeled I only had access to a relatively small stall shower that might actually have been larger than the one in your layout.

Showering in the tub/shower was actually much better than in a stall shower because I could bend down easily and lift my hands over my head without worrying about hitting the walls. Most people stand sideways in a tub shower at some point and obviously you have the full length of the shower if you need to bend over to attend to your feet.

It also seems as though there would be minimal space in front of the toilet.

M S thanked Helen
  • suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Depending where you live there is a 22" clearance distance required in front of the toilet. It seems that you don't have it. If you are really set on having a separate tub (which I don't really recommend for the reasons Helen's mentioned) you would need a tankless toilet. Also I presume the shower door is facing the toilet. It seems that you don't have enough room to open it.

M S thanked suzanne_m
  • Related Discussions

2-inch step-down entering tiled 8x8 bathroom/shower room

Q

Comments (4)
    When we travel in Europe, we tend to stay in funky little places where the concept of efficient shower curtains doesn't seem to have penetrated. These are places where the bathrooms are all retrofitted from pre-indoor plumbing days. The floors get wet, the sink gets wet, the toilet (and TP) gets wet, water gets tracked out. It isn't a style I'd be eager to copy. On the other hand, it is where we discovered hand held shower hoses, which are the best!
    ...See More

Bathtub versus shower in master bathroom?

Q

Comments (2)
    I am probably in the minority here, but we only have a shower in the master bath. We have a tub/shower in the other bathroom. As long as you have a tub somewhere in the house, I think you are o.k.
    ...See More

Vote? What to do with small bathroom... tub or shower?

Q

Comments (42)
    I love an old tub!!! And by the looks of yours, it is not a new model! If I'm a buyer looking at your house, I'm thinking "great! That tub is original and probably comfortable!" Our tubs in this house (built in '94) are steel and they are definitely not comfortable to recline in. They also don't hold the heat like an older (quality) cast iron tub will. You have a little treasure that just needs some TLC! I'd suggest checking out tub/tile re-finishers in your area. I know what you are talking about with an older tub---the kind momma scoured with Comet every week until the glaze was gone! They can also cover up those sailboats too. Do you plan on keeping the slate floor? It looks nice to me. The only other suggestion (aside from swapping the door and vanity) would be to put up some bead board on the lower section of the wall. Why? Well, the way the tub tile butts into the window looks awkward. If you have white bead board next to the tile (under the window and beyond) then there won't be any contrast in color and the lack of space between the tile and window won't show up at all. Above the bead board, I'd nix the yellow and go with a light sandy, golden tan. I could see this bath looking very Pottery Barn/beachy. She does not like the sink? Those crazy sailboats? The grody tub? Well, you've obviously done something right, LOL!!! The kid has good taste--what more can you ask for? :)
    ...See More

Bathroom Tile Transition between Shower & Tub

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks Penny and Fori. Agree now that the "front" doesn't need to be tiled...so makes a transition unnecessary. Yay! Fori - I thought long and hard about doing a shower over tub, but decided to keep them separate. We have space for a 76" custom double vanity with storage, and a linen closet just outside the room. This is also our most conveniently located bath for guests (most often our parents) and I want to have a shower that they can use safely and comfortably. The tub is our only, so we plan to install a deeper one for soaking. The boys will only be here full time for 3-4 more years (then the tub is all mine!)
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

It looks very tight and uncomfortable. And the toilet is almost on top of the shower. You have to combine the tub and shower, or ditch the tub and make a terrific more spacious shower.

M S thanked RedRyder
  • felizlady
    2 years ago

I added a tiled triangular foot-bench in the corner for tending to my feet or shaving my legs.

M S thanked felizlady
  • Verbo
    2 years ago

Magic doesn’t exist where 2 things can occupy 1 space. Unless you’re willing to do an alcove tub shower.

• Justme
    2 years ago

I agree with the comments regarding too tight of a space for a separate tub and shower.

The size shower you are considering installing is similar to what we recently ripped out. It was so small I could not shave my legs without banging my head on the shower wall and my elbows bumped the door open while shampooing my hair. No, I would not consider myself a bigger person. I'm average, 5'5" size 8-10.

Also, I don't see any storage. Suggestion: Install a single sink with a linen cabinet instead of a double sink. The person at the right side of the proposed double sink will literally have to stand in the doorway to use it anyways.

• Justme
    2 years ago

It will not make the space any less claustrophobic, but perhaps you could consider a smaller tub to allow more space for the shower?

The 8 Best Small Bathtubs of 2022 (thespruce.com)

M S thanked Justme
  • Ying Wang
    2 years ago

Check out this story from houzz - https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-prizewinners-take-a-bathroom-and-a-laundry-from-dated-to-dreamy-stsetivw-vs~42943315. Their master bath is slightly bigger than yours but not by much, and they were able to fit in everything you want. I would use a smaller tub to give the shower more space.

M S thanked Ying Wang
  • M S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for all the comments and suggestions! Especially about the toilet clearance of 24" and Justme's suggestion to go for a smaller bathtub. And totally agree about the double vanity, I would prefer a single one, but my spouse was hoping for double. Clearly it does not fit.

Ying Wang, thanks for the pointer to a similar conundrum and their beautiful solution! I'm going to take all these back to the drawing board and play with things a little. We're really hoping to pull off the separate tub/shower in the space we have, but I agree with most of the things that have been pointed out

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

- I agree that the shower is just too narrow. It's a summer camp shower.

- Where do you see tub towels hanging?

- The vanity just isn't big enough to support two sinks -- you have no drawer storage, which means that the countertop will always be cluttered, but with repetitive sinks you don't have enough countertop to hold things either. One well-done sink (with drawer storage and a comfortable amount of counter space) would be far superior to this cramped suggestion.

- I'd want to see the vanity go all the way to the wall on the right -- in a space like this, every inch counts, and you don't want to clean a tiny, narrow crevice.

- Is that a hamper or a trash can between the vanity and the tub?

M S thanked Mrs Pete
  • scout
    2 years ago

I think this could work, but it might feel too tight? I would use smaller sinks to give more counter space. You could even do a little narrower counter and cabinets to gain more room, ie 20” instead of 24”. I did this in one bathroom and I don’t evern notice it.

M S thanked scout
  • M S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mrs Pete, the tub towels are hanging on the far wall, right next to the tub. It's easier to see in the 3-D picture. About the vanity, I was new to the design software, so yes, I do need to to size and place it better. Working on it :-). Also, yes, that is a hamper, between the vanity and tub.

Scout, thank you for the suggestion - I was trying to keep the tub on the window wall for aesthetic reasons, but let me play with it a little more.

• scout
    2 years ago

That makes sense. I think this should work? It looks similar to the set up I use in my father’s guest bathroom in his palm springs home. The only difference is that his has one sink, not two, but it’s a smaller vanity. There’s no tub. In the tub space is the air handler with a door access on another wall. I also think his guest bathroom is smaller.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I would use smaller sinks to give more counter space.

Smaller sinks still take up more space than one single done-right sink; and they still require pipes underneath, which steal much-needed storage space.

You could even do a little narrower counter and cabinets to gain more room, ie 20” instead of 24”. I did this in one bathroom and I don’t evern notice it.

24" is standard depth for kitchen counters; bathroom vanities tend towards 21" deep.

Mrs Pete, the tub towels are hanging on the far wall, right next to the tub.

Ah, I see that now -- note that you're going to have to lean/reach 3' across to reach the towel, and it's going to be a narrow bar.

Also, yes, that is a hamper, between the vanity and tub.

With space at a premium, could the hamper be placed just outside the bathroom door?

Another thought:

If you turn the toilet 90 degrees, you'd have the necessary additional space in front of the toilet, and you'd have a little more length for the shower. The negative is that if you do this AND you stick with duplicate sinks, you'd have a mirror straight ahead of the toilet ... and no one wants to watch himself or herself on the toilet. On the other hand, if you go with one sink and one trendy /narrow mirror in the middle, you'd avoid this toilet-mirror problem. ?

M S thanked Mrs Pete
  • wwu123
    2 years ago

We have a pretty small master bath, 102 x 123, with almost the layout you're thinking of. So not quite as small, but I think it could work for you. The only difference for ours is the toilet (not visible) is turned 90 deg towards the vanity, as Mrs Pete suggested, giving plenty of clearance in front. Our architect used a pocket door, not sure if that was required to not swing into the toilet clearance or not.

Our shower is 3' wide to the knee wall; our tub is 5.5', so a 5' tub would work in your space. My wife takes a lot of baths and actually wanted the smaller 5' to fill it faster, but that would have needed a drop-in, I wanted the larger tub so flanged on three sides (as we didn't want the shower any wider). While we never ended up putting in the glass shower panels to make the space feel even bigger, the original plan was a stationary glass between the shower and toilet, and a 27" glass door to the knee wall.

We did fit a double-sink vanity, there's extra space on both sides, so you could definitely squeeze one in with your smaller space. Ours is only 14" deep (sinks that stick out a bit more) - but that was just coincidental with the modern vanity we liked. While it probably makes the room feel a bit bigger, the vanity storage is shallow and in hindsight would have used a 20" deep vanity and also added medicine cabinet mirrors.

24" Hotel towel rack above the tub next to the mirror, and another 24" double towel bar by the toilet and door.

Overall ours does not feel cramped at all.

M S thanked wwu123
  • M S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mrs Pete and wwu123, I am indeed turning the toilet 90 degrees - I tried that out last night and I'm liking that more and more! Going to play with it a bit more today and before posting it.

Thank you for the photos wwu123. I was thinking about the glass shower walls vs a wet-shower with no walls. How is the wall-less shower working for you? I really like your narrow depth cabinets - in my smaller bathroom, they could offer up some precious inches. What is the overall length of your vanity counter?

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Looks good. Just make sure you have enough space to open the shower door.

• scout
    2 years ago

@Mrs Pete Maybe that counter standard dimension has changed? I just finished remodeling 6 bathrooms, all with a high end remodeling company. All of my counters are 23.5-24” wide, except for the laundry bath which I just measured at 22.5”.

I agree that one sink is more appropriate for that size vanity.

@M S A 30” shower is too narrow. You are better off putting in a 36” shower and shortening the tub. Is the shower door 18” ? That is much too small if so.

Personally I would prefer more counter space than that storage unit. It will feel claustophobic in there as well.

Here is a photo of one of my baths I am finishing, with the vanity at 56” long, potentially shorter than yours. See how nice the counter space is? You could do a wall mounted faucet also, for more space.

• wwu123
    2 years ago

Our double-sink vanity is 70" wide, wall-hung. Looks like you've got just about 64" to work with; there are double-sink vanities that would fit for sure; but one sink and mirror so close to the right wall might not look aesthetically great, along with limited elbow room. We have 82" between the tub ledge and the wall, so there's a 6" gap on each side not obvious in the photo, which helps with the elbow room and the centering.

Our shower wasn't originally meant to be a wet-shower, our contractor offered to drop the joists for free once he we had all the walls opened up and saw it could be done. At 68" long, only a bit of splash goes over the tub pony wall out past the shower floor. But the design was for a frameless glass enclosure; we just got lazy and never ordered it.

I assume you now mean to put the glass shower door where you have the 18.7"/23.7" marked, facing the center of the room. But why put a pony wall between the toilet and the shower, rather then full-height glass? It takes away 5 precious inches, and will just make the room feel smaller and partitioned rather than one open space.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I agree with wwu123 that a 18.7" door is too small. Like her suggestion, I would put a full-height glass separating the toilet and the shower. If you make your tub 30" wide, you may be able to put a 24" wide shower door. You might want to check the requirements for the width of a shower door. I suspect 18" would not pass code.

• wwu123
    2 years ago

You could make the toilet area less than 40" wide too, to give a bit more space for the shower and shower door in particular. We also have a narrow powder room that is only 37" wide, and the toilet does not feel cramped. Plus in your case one's knees and feet will be protruding out into the larger open area. I think even 33-36" would be sufficient.

M S thanked wwu123
  • Justme
    2 years ago

Amazing how much space you gained by moving the toilet 90*.

A couple ideas for solving the too narrow 18" shower door are: a corner shower door or a neoangle shower.

• scout
    2 years ago

What about this? I don’t know if the shower will fit with the doorway as I don’t see the dimensions. The toilet will be a lttle cramped, but the minimum suggested width is 30” If you do a smaller tub, it would buy some space. Personally, I’d do a pocket door in this room, but people tend not to like them in bathrooms.

Also, here’s one bathroom I’m working on that’s 4.5’ wide. I used a toilet from icera that hugs the wall for more room. I love it.

• wwu123
    2 years ago

Oh, regarding the one comment about not having a vanity mirror opposite a toilet - I didn't realize that was a thing! In our master bath, the right vanity mirror IS directly opposite the toilet. It turns out there's a vanity mirror opposite the toilet in our other three baths as well.

But I've never noticed as - unless one likes to stand over the toilet - you're usually too low to see yourself sitting down. In the one that has the mirror the lowest, I can just see my forehead if I sit straight up.

• M S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Justme, it's not super clear in my pictures, but the shower doors are like the first of your suggestions, not sure if that's called neoangle or corner shower door.

• Helen
    2 years ago

@wwu123 I also didn't realize that a toilet facing a vanity was an issue because I realized that I have been living with this "horror" for the past 20 years in multiple bathroons.

In real life it is such a non-issue that I had to think about it because the vanity - especially the newer higher vanities effectively makes only the upper part of my head and shoulders actually visible in the mirror. And generally I don't even focus on the mirror in terms of viewing myself in it.

Oddly there was a thread in which someone was worried because they could theoretically see themselves in the mirror over the vanity when they were in the shower. Again I didn't even realize this was a problematic setup since my shower is across the "aisle" from the vanity and its mirror. I have never felt weird since I don't see the mirror unless I an actively looking at myself in the mirror and I don't think the mirror is voyeuristic.

In terms of the OP's questions, I still would not want to deliberately have a 3' x 3' stall shower so that I could have a separate tub. If that is OP's lifestyle, go for it but given that the trend for master baths is to have ONLY as large a shower as possible and eschew the tub, it would appear that most adults agree. If a bathroom is big enough to have a great shower and a tub and a large enough vanity so that there is counter space and storage, then go for it.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

With the toilet facing the vanity, I think a pocket door might be best. You don't want to hit someone sitting on the toilet when one opens the door.

• Juli Faller
    last year

I'm doing almost the exact layout as well.

Kids Bathroom 96x93

60x22 double sink vanity

51x27 soild surface freestanding oval tub

adding 24x24 window over the tub to open up the space

36x60 curbless shower next to the tub / opposit the vanity

37" toilet area - facing vanity and a 30" pocket door

( still debating the vanity style & size) I'd prefer a slighty smaller double sink floating vanity but most of them have an acrylic top. I do not want acrylic.

How did your remodel go? Any tips?

I'm still a little nervous about placing my orders / pulling the trigger since I know I am trying to fit a lot into a small space.

It all measures out with a few inches between everything.

( and I know cleaning around the freestanding tub will be an interesting challange - hence needing a wall mounted vanity)

All comments & suggestions are welcome.