SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonya_meade

Choosing Exterior Paint and Trim Colors

T L
2 years ago

I need some help deciding how to do the color scheme of the exterior of my home.

My plan now is to do both the brick and the siding painted in a creamy white—likely Shoji White from Sherwin Williams.

I think I’ll end up going with a dark brown/black color for the garage, window trim, and gutters.

Beyond that, I’m not sure what to do to make it look a little less like all the other black and white houses out there these days.

Couple of things: at first I thought I would wrap the metal columns and paint them white. Then I decided they might look better in the dark color I do the trim and doors in.

I also want to do something extra to the windows; but just subtle so it makes it unique without making it too busy. Obviously the awnings will go…but would shutters just be super blah? Would I put them on the bottom windows too?

Comments (15)

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

I don't think a black and white color scheme will work with that prominent brown roof. Also, when you paint brick you have to use a particular type of paint. Before you go too far down that road make sure you are going to be able to get it in the color you want. Someone else will probably come along and photoshop some options for you. Are you open to color schemes other than black and white?

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Brick needs to breathe. Regular paint will not work, and could cause damage to the brick, and it most likely will also peel before too long. Romabio is one name of paint that is safe for brick, although, to be truthful, I would not paint the brick. kandrewspa is correct, the black will not go good with your roof, and you have a lot of roof there. The brick, does go well with your roof.

• T L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So I have a professional painter lined up to do it. He painted another house I’m familiar with so I trust his methods. I’d definitely mess it up if I tried to DIY it!

I deeply hate the color of brown that the brick is now—like deep. I would have been open to a green paint color instead of white; but my partner is not at all. It’s such a weird house—on the inside it feels more 70s style but from the outside, what style is it?

• T L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some examples of the brown roof with the white brick I’m imagining…

• T L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m thinking I would do just the door a green color called “Succulent” but yes, I am absolutely open to seeing other color schemes if anyone has those skills! I am not skilled in that way at all.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Make sure you ask that professional painter, what kind of paint he is using. Just because, he has done another house, doesnt mean, he used the correct paint. Also doesnt mean the other house might not have future problems either. The most important thing in painting brick, is to use the correct prep and the correct paint. You may want to read this, so you understand painting brick a bit more

https://www.houselogic.com/remodel/painting-lighting/paint-brick-house/

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I was going to suggest using the brick shade as a trim color, and leaving the brick alone, since it does work well with the roof. But, you hate it... I wonder if you would like it if some other changes were made first.

If your roof is in good shape, so that you won't be anticipating a change, that will always be the dominant color and everything has to work with it. So, your colors need to be warm shades of whatever you settle on, shades of a similar undertone as the roof.

I would paint the upper level a warm off white - a pale warm beige to work with the brick.

The garage door color doesn't work (to my eyes) with anything. It also needs to be a paler color. that matches the other trim, or the siding, to be less prominent. Right now it is fighting with the roof for dominance.

No shutters anywhere. The windows are not well-proportioned (and shutters would not be either) and I wouldn't want to draw attention to them particularly - hence using a lighter color trim paint, similar to the brick (if you do paint the brick, then still a light shade, maybe a pale green, beige, pale tan...)

Yes to enclosing the columns, then paint to match trim.

It looks like you've got some young plants but I would deepen the narrow patio/walk, then put in some more substantial plants - it looks pretty bare. The far edge of the huge driveway could be softened with some plants too. Perhaps low growing evergreens (spreading juniper perhaps). If you have a local nursery they could likely help with an overall design.

• T L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love all of these ideas!!!! Thank you so much!! That is a great point about the shutters; I never thought of that. I wanted to make them look bigger but yes it would draw more attention to them. And definitely YES on the widening of the path. I’m planning on trying to incorporate a path and some larger xeriscape friendly plans there. We just bought the home last year and haven’t changed the landscaping at all, which was all annuals and roses. We don’t have a big budget. The roof will need to be redone in the next 10 years but I need to do something in the meantime and paint and enclosing the columns is about all I can do right now.

• Suzy S.
    2 years ago

Today, I just happen to see on Etsy people that will put together exterior house color combinations (mood board ideas) and add whatever you want. i.e., porch, shutters, etc. The cost varies from seller to seller but people seem pretty happy with the options they were provided. This is route I plan to go because I get too overwhelmed with all the choices. Good luck.

• T L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! Great idea!

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I would just paint the second story to blend with the roof and brick. Remove the awnings and paint the trim around the windows a light color.

Focus on a prominent entry path from the sidewalk to the front door and get rid of the triangle planting next to the driveway, which draws attention to the driveway and away from the entry to the house.

• T L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What would you do with the garage and front door colors and the trim/gutter that goes all the way across the front roof? With the pillars would you do them that tan color too?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

If you think that you will get a new roof in ~10 years (which may be less), and IF you may want to select a different roof color then, then you need to be sure that you choose a neutral color for the siding - otherwise you will find yourself trying to either match the new roof to the siding, or repainting the siding to be more compatible with the new roof.

Garage and front door and window box need to get rid of that brown. Garage- match the siding or brick - it is so large that you want it to blend in visually. Door can match trim or bring in a 3rd color that you like, that looks good with your other elements. Gutters can match shingles; I sometimes see them painted to match trim (and I did this on my house) but I think it wouldn't be the best for your long & prominent roofline.

Hopefully someone can do a mockup like houssaon's to show the different options for gutters and garage. Or, you can go to various paint brand websites, upload your photo to their color selection tool (they all have one) and there you can try out different colors and combinations yourself.

Budget landscaping - you can post on the landscaping forum to ask for design help; or get a plan from a garden center. Budget tip: frequently visit the big box store garden centers (Lowe's in particular if you have one near) and check out the clearance rack, where they discount plants and shrubs that are past their prime - maybe just post-bloom, sometimes in worse shape from neglect but salvageable with a repotting and TLC. Also, in autumn most nurseries will discount their stock, that is a good time to get trees and shrubs.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

Some option to go white with brick

• T L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I like the green door for sure. And yeah I’m still leaning towards painting the brick…even though I know some people are strongly against it.