SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

"Can Do Kitchen" a culinary business incubator

l pinkmountain
2 years ago

This is not only cooking related but eating, buying and preserving food related. We were discussing earlier in the month ways to encourage "makers" of all types to bring products to market . . . for profit which is always the rub. I mentioned how much I loved the idea, particularly since I often mused about being able to gain at least some profit from my gardening and canning hobby. We have a law here in MI that you can sell certain home canned goods (preserves and pickles) but I have heard from vendors that those marked "prepared in a commercial kitchen" are much more likely to sell. I have often wanted to find ways of making commercial kitchens more accessible to home growers and entrepreneurs, particularly since such kitchens are sprinkled throughout camps, churches, schools and grange halls throughout the country, and often sit unused for long periods of time. Well, here is one model of providing that service, albeit a model relying on creating a new space, not re-utilizing older ones. https://www.candokitchen.org/ 

This is about an organization in Kalamazoo Michigan, a town that is betting a lot on the development of a local food scene for the revitalization of its economy. It is ideally situated as far as resources go, for that kind of economy, but it's still too early to tell if it is going to be successful long term. So many of Michigan's old canning factories and food processing facilities closed down, which is a shame, leaving such infrastructure to go to ruin, such a waste. But the agricultural sector of the economy is struggling, which is pretty scary long term . . .

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor