SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
jen_lambo

Excessive Dust/Lint

Jen Lambo
10 months ago

Please help! My home thats only 7 years old has an excessive amount of dust/lint in it. We have all hardwood floors. The dryer vent has been checked and its good. It goes directly outside from the back of the dryer. We even bought a new dryer.

We’ve had our supply ducts cleaned out and were told they were clean. We have also had a pressure test done which was also fine. I’m going crazy. I can dust one day and the very next day its back. This has been going on for years. The dust/lint smells just like fresh laundry. Ive even had the dust tested. The test showed it was mosly fibers from clothing.

We dont have any duct work in the attic but our return vents are just empty wall cavities and are capped off at the top in the attic. The dust/lint isnt the same as the insulation we have in attic. I have no idea the source of where its coming from.

Can anyone help me?

Comments (146)

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 days ago

And your solution to the problem is?

• Nicole facin
    5 days ago

Ok so at the expense of sounding crazy I collected and smelled by lint/dust it 100% smells like fabric softer!! I took the flapper off my dryer vent that was put on almost 2 years ago...I will see if this helps..maybe it took all this time for the dust to collect to this level.. I really don't know I feel like it may have been restricting the airflow out...we will see...I am also going to try the laundromat idea if this doesn't work... if it's not this I HAVE NO CLUE...

• Related Discussions

War on dust! -- In search of dust-free paper towels

Q

Comments (27)
    Lily, huck toweling? Just googled it and hard to tell what it is... Can you enlighten me? About microfiber, honestly I cannot stand the way that stuff feels on my hands, it's similar to chalk on a blackboard and it snags on cuticles. I have to wear a pair of disposable latex gloves when using them -- which sort of defeats the purpose of using something re-useable, LOL. I just noticed yesterday that the horizontal part of my PT holder is covered with PT dust. It has been up in this house for a year. It's a very nice one from Ballard Designs and was up in my last house for 2-3 years and never got any dust on it at all. It's definitely little PT fibres.
    ...See More

Dark Granite Counters - Do They Show Excessive Dust?

Q

Comments (20)
    A Microfiber cloth is what you need. If I clean and then polish/buff with it and Method Daily Granite, our counters shine like a mirror. No dust ever shows. But I wipe our counters daily because we use them daily. We have polished Antique Brown (a premium granite) which is a lot like polished Absolute Black in terms of darkness and the lack of movement (the movement..even though there's very little and what there is is tone-on-tone is under the surface). DH *swears* our counters are black when in fact they're really a deep brown. You can tell if you look at them next to our black rangetop. Anyway, we are getting ready to build a new house and I do not plan on doing dark solid-ish polished granite counters again even though our counters are gorgeous. I'm just tired of having to buff/shine them after I wipe them clean. I'd love to have a counter I can spray and wipe with a regular towel and cleaner and be done. I put a lot of elbow grease into these counters. What has me tired isn't dust (that would never even occur to me). It's the drips, the water marks, the fingerprints, the soup drips...everything looks smudgy and crusty. Then if you just wipe it with a paper towel (even a damp one) then dry it with one, it leaves a big dried smudge across the counter so you then have to buff the counter with the microfiber towel and buff. My nickname should be Buffy. LOL!
    ...See More

Anyone else dealing with excessive pet shedding?

Q

Comments (29)
    I bought a Furminator a month ago and love it~~I got the small one (blue handle) since I have two cats, of course the older white cat that sheds the most does not like it but I make her do it! DS used it on the dog she is short haired and she looked better than the last time she went to the groomer. I was taking my white cat to the groomer 2-3X's a year and that helped alot but she meow's so much and is wiggly they do not want her back:( That is from two groomers. The last trip they called early and had me come get her, she is usually the only cat there and she makes the dogs crazy:(
    ...See More

excessive dust problem

Q

Comments (12)
    I've just been checking in to see what everyone else had to say, because we sure have a dusty house, too. I went snooping around internet sites devoted to dust just to see what the supposed experts had to say. I'd always been told most dust in homes are organic, from skin cells (blech). But, there seems to be dust and then other dust. The last house I lived in was close to a cement plant. Needless to say, everything was covered in dust all the time and it was nasty dust and seemed to eat into finishes. The home I live in now is also dusty, but it's a different sort of dust. I noticed that our seldom used country road is now a busy road and the dust has increased since then, a lot. We also get dust from out of the chimney openings, dark, sooty dust. Add to that four cats and a dog .......lots more dust. And last but not least, I am a professional 'gardener' so to speak and I track in unGodly mounts of soil and organic matter and when it gets walked on, more dust. My dh does our groundswork and his feet track in even more. I also own an older house in town, and I have noticed that sooty dust is streaking the walls adjacent to windows now, probably coal dust caught behind the sills and frame and leaking out. It's not just old houses. My son and his wife built a brand spanking new house on their farm. Put in nice shiney wood floors and I asked my DIL if the dust from the construction had settled, and dust seems to be a way of life on their shiny floor even though it's not from new construction. I am sitting here chuckling, because when I was cooking supper tonight, I looks up and there are cobwebs strung between the two glass shades of our island lights over the counters. I JUST CLEANED THEM! I told him it was like living in the Adams family house. We don't have forced air heat, have a new boiler and hot water heat. Doesn't seem to matter if the windows are open or shut. We have DUST. One website I went to suggested you take a strong magnifying lens and look at some of your dust to see what it looks like. If the particles are fluffy, it's probably from fiber like rugs or upholstery, or if it's flaky it's animal dander, etc. Sounded sensible.
    ...See More
  • Nicole facin
    5 days ago

How do I do the @ in response to someone

• klem1
    4 days ago

Chas Ross and A Air are always @ing at one another,just do what they do but try and be nice, (:

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 days ago

@Nicole facin,

If your dryer duct hasn't been cleaned in a while and lint has accumulated to the point it is interfering with exhaust air flow from the dryer then removing the damper will improve exhaust air flow. However, if you have a backdraft issue, removing the damper will make the problem worse. A better approach would be to clean the dryer lint trap and exhaust as well as the dryer duct and damper and leave the damper installed.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Ok so at the expense of sounding crazy I collected and smelled by lint/dust it 100% smells like fabric softer!! I took the flapper off my dryer vent that was put on almost 2 years ago...I will see if this helps..maybe it took all this time for the dust to collect to this level.. I really don't know I feel like it may have been restricting the airflow out...we will see...I am also going to try the laundromat idea if this doesn't work... if it's not this I HAVE NO CLUE...

Nicole your situation with this problem is entirely different because of close quarters with neighbors you don't know if it's you or someone that lives near you.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go to the laudromat a few weeks to see if it might be you. If the amount of (the content of dust goes down) it's probably a problem on your end and your laundry situation.

Is the dryer provided by the apt. complex or is it yours? I assume that only you are able to use these machines? If not unplug the dryer put a "broken sign do not use on it" just a temporary thing if that is your case.

This method of going to a laudromat could be used by the home owner as well to see if the dust content of the air changes.

Remember there will still be dust, the content or the amount of it should go down if you stumble across what is creating it.

And your solution to the problem is?

Charles, I'll tell you what it isn't --- providing a gimmick and calling it a solution. I live in the real world, not a fake one even though the hip thing over the past few years is more or less "fake it until you make it". -- she was sentenced to 11 years btw. "The not so nice way to describe fake?" fraud.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 days ago

It's a little premature to label the particular back draft damper as a "gimmick" before seeing whether it helps mitigate the OP's problem.

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    4 days ago

I already check my dryer duct monthly and take a leaf blower and blow air into it to make sure the outside vent isnt clogged. I also point my secuirty cameras towards it outside to see what comes out, to know how bad it was. Yes thats how crazy dust/lint has made me. I also clean behind my dryer and wipe the back down while I do my monthly inspection.

Im waiting for the backdraft contraption and I have a duct cleaning service coming next Wednesday, for a consult. Hopefully they will clean them the same day. I do know that the airflow coming out of the outside vent seems to be flowing freely because I see and smell it when thr dryer is on. Its too high for me inspect up close, but one has to assume its working fine. Again, my outside air smells amazing and just like the dust all over my house.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 days ago

Hi, Jennifer,

I'm pretty sure that Tim the "Tool Man" Taylor of TV sitcom fame would heartily endorse your use of a leaf blower for cleaning your dryer and/or duct. He'd probably encourage you to use a bigger, more powerful one. But, I think the use of a leaf blower may be counterproductive: the positive air flow generated by the leaf blower can disperse lint. A better way to clean your dryer and dryer duct is to use a combination of a vacuum cleaner and some brushes. Below is a link to a DIY video. It shows the kind of build up you can get at the exhaust damper which can interfere with its normal operation; it's one thing the cape back draft damper is designed to eliminate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLZSqhUoF_g

• klem1
    3 days ago

I've already expressed the opinion OP is only making the rounds ramping monkeys up with worn out footballs but for benefit of bystanders I want to talk about possible mis-information .

So,Chas Ross,I looked at the backdraft device and would like you to explain how it prevents buildup inside dryer duct as you assert in this statement.

"A better way to clean your dryer and dryer duct is to use a combination of a vacuum cleaner and some brushes. Below is a link to a DIY video. It shows the kind of build up you can get at the exhaust damper which can interfere with its normal operation; it's one thing the cape back draft damper is designed to eliminate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLZSqhUoF_g "

I have problems with the brush but want to understand how backdraft device prevents buildup before getting into brushes for cleaning buildup.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

@klem1,

I can only infer from the discussion thus far--and for the reasons articulated in my post above-- that back drafting through the dryer exhaust is contributing to thej OP's problem. The cape back draft damper is designed to eliminate back drafting--not accumulation of lint in the exhaust duct. It may not eliminate the OP's problem, but it should mitigate it to an extent t.b.d.

• vinmarks
    3 days ago

@klem1 What is wrong with using the brush to clean the dryer exhaust pipe? We use that exact brush and it works well. Curious what issues it causes?

• klem1
    3 days ago

Ok it wasn't clear whether you thought bd damper eliminates build up or it takes over for a malfunctioning original damper. Now that we are on the same page I'll talk about the aftermarket damper. I'm familar with the principle on which it operates because I've used one similar for small solar heaters for room air. FWIW I spend about fifty cents each to make them but my hat's off to the guy that can sell them online. That membrane is so thin and fragile that weight from accumulated lint will quickly prevent it functioning as advertised. I would go as far as saying the device will actually cause blockage sooner than if it weren't in there and I don't think I need to explain what would happen if homeowner used that brush. Which brings use to the brush and advisability of using it. Sadly anything other than straight through wall behind dryer will be flexible plastic duct in modern homes. I wouldn't trust the average appliance repairman to use a powered brush,much less homeowners for fear of wrecking plastic duct and/or causing hidden connections to come loose. Whomever was responsible for that 24' duct in the brush ad should be hung naked by their heels and thoroughly pecked on gonads with a large spoon,,,,unless there was a cleanout box/trap on wall just above dryer and the video didn't mention one. I can truthfully say after countless issues involving dryer venting ,50% were user neglect in cleaning filter,40% were improper installation and 10% "other issues". I like everyone to take something home they can use so here it is. Clean that filter BEFORE EVER load. If you have more than one person in the house doing laundry ,occasionally pull the filter as you pass the laundry to see if it has been neglected. Some filter desighns are worse than others in doing this but here's what often happens. Sally Homemaker starts off checking filter before every load like she she was told but discovered it often had little lint so begins checking and cleaning once per week. After nearly a week and an "almost" full filter,she launders a couple of blankets that shed more lint than 2 weeks normal laundry. The filter is so full and packed when Sally jerks it out the lint rolls off and stays inside dryer and Sally is delighted to see a clean filter and know she didn't wait too long. That wad of lint can do some crazy things,cloggs normally but possibly fire in some very old dryers. If I had the exact problem as op and Johnny Come Lately the next thing I would look at after hose between dryer and wall is for loose connection inside appliance (requires partial disassembly) as I advised op last year and was assured hubby did.

Jen Lambo thanked klem1
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

@klem1,

It's downright silly to dismiss a perfectly good tool because it's inappropriate for use with flexible plastic ducts which don't meet code requirements for dryer exhaust applications. Here's what the 2018 International Residential Code specifies:

M1502.4.1 Material and Size. Exhaust ducts shall have a smooth interior finish and shall be constructed of metal not less than ).0157 inch (.3950 mm) in thickness (28 gage) The duct shall be 4 inches (102 mm) nominal in diameter.

If the dryer exhaust duct doesn't meet code, that's a place to start. The tool shown is perfectly appropriate for use with dryer ducts that conform to code, in my opinion.

With regard to the cape back draft damper, it gets installed at the inlet to the dryer exhaust duct and is easily removed (without the need for tools) when the duct is cleaned.

Jen Lambo thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 days ago

Hopefully they will clean them the same day. I do know that the airflow coming out of the outside vent seems to be flowing freely because I see and smell it when thr dryer is on. Its too high for me inspect up close, but one has to assume its working fine. Again, my outside air smells amazing and just like the dust all over my house.

Jennifer bravo on the beautiful lint expulsion video footage, clearly that's next level.

How long would you say your dryer vent is? Is the dryer in your house just opposite the wall where the vent is? If that's the case the gimmick back draft thing won't hurt.

If your dryer vent is long, the back draft part of it should be at the end of the run. I just wouldn't have faith in it to do much of anything.

Because your vent sits so high up, I still believe this is partly your problem. If you had less laundry? Or went to the landromat for a time like a couple of weeks what would that tell you?

If the backdraft damper is the problem I think you'd have evidence of that in your laundry room. As in more dust in that room than anywhere else. BUT, you've never said that. Nor has anyone else for that matter. If the dust smells like launder, but isn't in the laundry room? Evidence.

So how then is it getting in. #1 it must remain air borne. There is already dust in the air that is coming in anyway, this is adding to that dust. You're creating it.

If you see (or anyone sees) alot of dust thru out the home? There must be an answer how it is being spread thru the home. Dust does not can not --- grow legs, run, jump and fly around. These are myths best left for bedtime stories. We have enough content here to fill a book.

We talk about physics alot on this board not to mention engineers who like to fight over these blue collar jobs that they don't do -- they'd be the first to call someone else. Jennifer could have chose something much worse than a leaf blower again another not so bad idea.

Plumbers have long cameras they often put down sewers / drain pipes to discover breaks look around for one and pay them to run a camera down your dryer vent looking for breaks. (This is only a suggestion to maybe shed more light on this issue for some / for others it may be too drastic a step?)

If the dryer is on the opposite wall of where the vent comes out the building? you don't need a camera snake as you could remove the dryer shine a flashlight and look down it. Is it metal duct or plastic? The end you attach your dryer hose to, is probably a metal fitting after that fitting what is the material used for the vent? If you can't see a snake cam might be in your future.

If air is coming out the other end? possible there is no breaks, just as much as there might be a break and some of that dryer exhaust is leaking. We only make cases good or bad based on evidence. If you're not testing, you're guessing... ah but that's what we love to do on a forum board.

Some of us are here to help you wade thru what others consider as helpful? It's not saying you can't try a gimmick. But how many gimmicks will it take to convince you?

Jen Lambo thanked Austin Air Companie
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 days ago

"There must be an answer how it is being spread thru the home. Dust does not can not --- grow legs, run, jump and fly around. "

You're kidding, right? There's no mystery surrounding how dust is distributed throughout a home with a forced-air HVAC system.

• vinmarks
    3 days ago

@klem1 My home is 5 years old. I can assure you the dryer vent piping is not flexible plastic duct. I don’t even think that is allowed. I can see the entire run of the ducting from where it attaches to dryer to where it exits house. All smooth metal ducting.

We use the linteater from both ends. The rods for the lineater are flexible and can make turns. Our duct goes up the wall then makes 90 degree turn and then straight line out of the house. We then use a leaf blower from dryer side to blow any loosened lint out.

Jen Lambo thanked vinmarks
  • PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    3 days ago

You're kidding, right?

So then enlighten us Charles how your gimmick back flow preventer is going to work then?

Give us a list of pros and cons.

I'll help you with the first pro: It's cheap.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 days ago

The explanation was provided earlier in this thread.

• Crystal Marie
    2 days ago

I'm still having same trouble 😭😭😭

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@Austin Air Companie

How long would you say your dryer vent is?

Maybe one year old. My husband has changed it twice because ive insisted the previous one must be leaking in the wall 🙄.

Is the dryer in your house just opposite the wall where the vent is?

Yes, the only thing between them is the outside wall/brick and the outside vent is directly on the other side.

If that's the case the gimmick back draft thing won't hurt.

UGGGG 😢

If your dryer vent is long, the back draft part of it should be at the end of the run. I just wouldn't have faith in it to do much of anything.

Gotha, but i‘m desperate at this point.

Because your vent sits so high up, I still believe this is partly your problem. If you had less laundry? Or went to the landromat for a time like a couple of weeks what would that tell you?

We’ve thought of that, but I wanted to wait until my ducts were clean because I feel like even when i’m not doing laundry it’s still dusty because its in my supply ducts. My husband has threatened to put the washer and dryer in the garage for 2 years now to see if that helps.

If the backdraft damper is the problem I think you'd have evidence of that in your laundry room. As in more dust in that room than anywhere else. BUT, you've never said that. Nor has anyone else for that matter. If the dust smells like launder, but isn't in the laundry room? Evidence.

I probably should NOT have said the laundry room isnt dusty because there IS lint in there but since I do so much laundry and am always using counters by placing folded clothes on them, I'm just clearing the dust off while doing laundry. So I may have misspoke. I apologize for that because i know that matters. I think what makes me crazy is seeing it on my dark bedroom furniture a day after I dust. I can seriously write my name on it a day later and my bedroom is farthest from the laundry room.

So how then is it getting in. #1 it must remain air borne. There is already dust in the air that is coming in anyway, this is adding to that dust. You're creating it.

MAKES TOTAL SENSE!

If you see (or anyone sees) alot of dust thru out the home? There must be an answer how it is being spread thru the home. Dust does not can not --- grow legs, run, jump and fly around. These are myths best left for bedtime stories. We have enough content here to fill a book.

Embarrassingly, I know 🤦‍♀️

We talk about physics alot on this board not to mention engineers who like to fight over these blue collar jobs that they don't do -- they'd be the first to call someone else. Jennifer could have chose something much worse than a leaf blower again another not so bad idea.

Thanks, I try not to let the comments get to me but i’m also like… geez im trying here. My husband is an electrician by trade but helps run a construction company…….we know how to use power tools,(lol) not to mention my leaf blower when it comes to cobwebs in the barn and garage is the best tool ever! But yes I also use the Shop Vac or vacum to get the dust. I don't just spread it around thinking I’m solving the problem. Not knocking on engineers, I just know craftmens and engineers think differently which is a good thing. We all learn from one another. I didn’t get the sense that the guy who mentioned the backdraft device was just trying to hust sale me something. I hope im not wrong. Im sure my husband will add his two cents once they arrive and he realizes he's installing them.

If the dryer is on the opposite wall of where the vent comes out the building? you don't need a camera snake as you could remove the dryer shine a flashlight and look down it. Is it metal duct or plastic?

Metal, and yes we have looked inside a few hundred times with a flashlight.

The end you attach your dryer hose to, is probably a metal fitting after that

fitting what is the material used for the vent?

It’s called Rigiflex i’m assuming aluminum, it was part of a kit I believe. Im attaching a pic.

If air is coming out the other end? possible there is no breaks, just as much as there might be a break and some of that dryer exhaust is leaking. We only make cases good or bad based on evidence. If you're not testing, you're guessing... ah but that's what we love to do on a forum board.

I also taped over where the vent pipe comes out of the dryer and attaches to make sure no lent is escaping.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. I will keep you posted.

• Crystal Marie
    2 days ago

My house is full of dust and it's for sure coming off my clothes. If u shake the clothes it doesn't stop shedding and any movement stuff flies off. And the sun blows stuff off of them without any movement . What air purifier do you use I've been dealing with this for over a year

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@Crystal Marie mine too! Its a lot. I just bought a speed queen wash machine 6 mos ago thinking it would help. I’ve also been using less fabric so softener and more vinegar in hopes that would help.

• Crystal Marie
    2 days ago

I've tried everything what are u using to try and wipe it down? Everything in my house is covered in it and it's so bad in the air. The sun makes it worse. I'm embarrassed to go anywhere I need to solve this my kids can't keep going to school with clothes that never stop shedding. Also what's the best air purifier and sweeper to help with this? It's so overwhelming I'm so sick over this

• Crystal Marie
    2 days ago

Someone help please

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@crystal Marie
    I’ve had a Medify air purifier for two years and although it’s filling up, I haven’t noticed any difference at all in cutting down on lent. I wouldn’t waste money on it if I were you.

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I just use a microfiber cloth and pledge to wipe things down. I do it daily 🙄

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Just got the backdraft dampers in the mail. Also had my husband get me an extension ladder to take a look into the outside vent. It looked pretty clear up until the end which is what you can see in the photo. It had a small amount of build up due to the moisture outside as it’s raining here today.

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    2 days ago

We will be replacing the end cap/vent as its looking pretty rough. Don’t hate on my non matching wash machine and dryer. I know its not the prettiest but ive had

matching ones for as long as ive been buying them. I wanted a speed queen wash machine, but had only had my whirpool duet dryer for about a year. I bought the speed queen wash machine about 4-6 mos ago so it didnt make sense to replace the dryer.

• ker9
    2 days ago

Do you use a HEPA vacuum?

• Crystal Marie
    2 days ago

I have a Miele vaccum I need better air purifier there's so much dust or lint in air from our clothes it's like the washer redepositing all the stuff it should be taking off clothes back on it and it never stops shedding and the sun makes it worse

• ker9
    2 days ago

You can try white vinegar in the wash - research it first.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 days ago

Ditch the flexible pipe and go to a rigid pipe with a magnetic connection. Pull the dryer out and take it apart for a total cleaning. My dryer accumulates quite a bit of lint inside despite us cleaning the screen after every load so probably every other year I do a complete clean. Perhaps there is a connection inside the dryer which is not completely sealed.

Do you have any different results if the HVAC system is turned off when the dryer runs? How about whether the laundry room door is open or closed? 

I would be so frustrated without being able to identify the source and fix the problem!

• Crystal Marie
    yesterday

I tried vinegar thank you. I noticed some of the clothes I buy have short fibers already but instead of them getting washed off it's like the fibers just redeposit on the clothes and come out worse then they went in. All of our clothes come out fuzzy and shed and don't stop even the blankets shed and full of what looks like lint or dust it's

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    yesterday

Crystal Mari- Do you have any different results if the HVAC system is turned off when the dryer runs? How about whether the laundry room door is open or closed?

When HVAC is off, its worse. I’m assumng because its not going thru the filter. I don’t notice a difference when door is closed. I have cleaned around the outside of the dryer but haven't taken this new dryer apart yet.

Ker9 Yes I have a shark vertex with replacement filters that im alway switching out because they get so dirty. I also have a Dyson Dyson. Both are HEPA.

• Save
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    yesterday

@Crystal Marie,

It sounds like your issue is related more to your washing machine not doing its job than a problem with your dryer. Lint should drain with the rinse water--not get deposited on the newly washed clothes.

You should have either a lint filter on the washer or a pump strainer that needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. If you have a front loader, all kinds of stuff can accumulate inside the gasket--keep that clean, too. Sort clothes and wash them separately so you're not transferring lint from fabrics that generate (fuzzy kinds) it to fabrics that attract it like corduroy. You might try a more gentle wash setting to reduce mechanical damage to the clothes and make sure you are following the directions on both the detergent and fabric softener (the softener we use can't be used on fluffy fabrics nor flame-retardant kids clothes.)

• dadoes
    yesterday

Lint filters on washing machines are rare nowadays. The pump strainer on a frontloader has no function regards to filtering lint from the clothes during washing and rinsing, its purpose is to catch debris and foreign objects from getting into the pump.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    yesterday

Yes, but blockages in the pump strainer can slow the rate at which the washer drains and increase the opportunity for lint to adhere to clothing as a consequence.

• dadoes
    yesterday

I doubt a restriction on a frontloader's pump strainer has an appreciable effect on the clothes retaining lint. The drum continues to rotate during drain for however long it may take (until/unless a drain fault occurs and the machine stops running) so lint is continually being sloshed off the fabric until the water is out.

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    yesterday

@klem1 @Austin Air Companie

Sorry I left that out. If I had to guess (my husband isn’t home at the moment to confirm) I would guess 3 feet max including the flex duct from the back of the dryer (which you see in the picture) and through the drywall, insulation, outside wall and brick to the outside dryer vent hood. Its directly on the other side of the wall. There are no rooms, closets or other spaces that it travels through.

Are there any other questions I may have missed that might help?

My husband wants me to send the extra cape backdraft dampers back that I ordered, he’s allowing me to keep one, but said he could make them himself after seeing it. I probably should’ve showed him what I was buying before I bought them.

To @Austin air company

Would you know if having empty wall cavities as my return duct could be part of the problem?

Thanks again to everyone who’s trying to help!

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    yesterday

@klem1,

The picture you're referring to is a simplified depiction of a dryer duct system that includes a combination of flexible duct, rigid duct, and and an exhaust cap. The flex is the portion between the dryer and the connection to the rigid duct. Best practice is to install backdraft dampers as close to the blower as is practical. For a clothes dryer, the Tamarack cape backdraft damper is best installed just after the termination of the flex which makes it more accessible for inspection, removal and cleaning. It will work as an end-of-the line device, but given the height of the OP's dryer exhaust location, it would be difficult to service.

The length of the dryer duct isn't particularly concerning as the cape backdraft damper adds near zero pressure drop to the overall duct system which is a key performance attribute.

I have used the product as replacements for cheap-and-dirty backdraft dampers in bath vent fans, but not a clothes dryer. The operating principle is the same. While we don't yet know whether back drafting is contributing to the OP's problem, it's a little premature to label a backdraft damper as a "gimmick."

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but when it's as uninformed by the building code as yours is, houzzers shouldn't give it much weight.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    yesterday

Klem that was a good find to illustrate this:

Jennifer this really doesn't help your situation, I wouldn't use it due to accessiblity of how your current vent sits way up high off the ground.

To back track a little to cover the bases so to speak if new people are dealing with this lint 'too much dust' problem.

HVAC chases used as returns can be a harbinger of dust being drawn into your HVAC system air takes the path of least resistance if your filter(s) are dirty in a created chase this can be thru any opening in that chase things like electric sockets, baseboard sill plate as well as small particles that work their way thru your dirty air filter. The more loaded a dirty air filter is, the more dust it will recirculate.

A physical break in return duct -- if a filter isn't getting dirty this is sometimes why, there can be other reasons due to the #1 rule -- resistance. To help you understand -not me - not Klem - not the arm chair builder - if you have a hose with a nozzel on the end of it to increase water pressure --- if there is a leak anywhere before that nozzle the water is going to take that path to a point because water also takes the path of "least resistance" -- I use water in this example because you can SEE it. Air does the same thing, electricity does the same thing the path of LEAST resistance.

HVAC the most resistance is your air filter. (when the system is running). There will be evidence. The game doesn't change just because we are talking about some different things here. If you have a ducted HVAC system that includes a furnace or air handler (electric furnace) + AC or heat pump there is a radiator like coil inside your duct work. If this system is older it's not uncommon to be a little dirty just thru normal use. If the radiator like coil is 75% --- 100% covered with dirt -- 9 times out of 10 there is a reason why. Running the system without a filter, return break that is drawing in unfiltered air.

-------- Home ventilation -----

ERV - HRV --- these are recovery ventilators that bring in fresh air. Your house may have one, it may not. I am not guessing if you do or not have one. It is something to look for. If you are in an apt. it's not likely you have one of these. It would be difficult not to mention dangerous to try to find out if you do as most apt buildings are 3 or 4 stories off the ground.

Ducted fresh air damper --- again some homes may have this many will not. These are typically used via a control that brings in fresh air.

The air any of these devices bring in --- they do not know if the air is fresh or not -- meaning laden with laundry lint.

---------- drafty homes or apt same difference ------

If you feel air being sucked in? This can occur around windows, electrical sockets, light switches, entry doors etc. Opening and closing entry doors (foot traffic) could be the result of a dusty building with a laden amount of dust in the air.

------------- fire place ---------

If the flue damper is open, the house goes under negative pressure this can be an introduction of dust laden air.

------ Shedding Clothes -----

I never would have thought of this without someone mentioning it. Let's dig deeper read the label of those clothes what fabric are they made of?

I am mostly a cotton, polyester and rayon wearer myself. In my opinion cotton probably sheds the most from what I wear. I have rayon shirts that I wash seperately they produce next to nothing in terms of lint.

So another method might be to run out buy some rayon fabric clothes and only wear those for a few weeks to a month and note the differences? Just another suggestion.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    yesterday

Ray,

I know you have a preference for videos, so here's a link to the installation guide for Tamarack's cape back draft damper:

https://www.tamtech.com/product/cape-backdraft-damper-6/

The damper will function installed anywhere in the exhaust duct (provided it's installed in the proper direction,) but best practice is to install it close to the blower and in an area that is easily accessed for cleaning and inspection. For dryers, that would be in the rigid duct where it transitions from flex in the laundry room. For some attics with poor access, it may make more sense to install it closer to the vent termination.

• gschives
    yesterday

Jen - I have precisely the same problem as you do. I clean my filters (dryer, vacuum, pleated air cleaners are on my furnace), I clean my dryer ducts and furnace ducts. This summer we had the old chimney removed and the attic insulated and sealed as I had thought the dust was from there, but it is still happening.

I have noticed the dust is the worst near the forced air output ducts - we can no longer stand to sit or sleep next to a furnace duct. My theory of the cause is that we have the furnace and clothes dryer in the same room first time.

I think the furnace (post Hepa filter) air intake is pulling air from the dryer housing and exhaust duct. I am guessing the problem is only worsened when the dryer runs and creates a negative air pressure - so now both appliances are trying to suck air and the exhaust flap is open.

I think I need a way to provide make up air to the clothes dryer,

or find a clothes dryer that is ducted similar to how the air flows on the condensing furnace are designed (so that fresh air comes in from outside and bad air goes back outside with no interface to the internal house air).

Or it might be easier to build a wall around the furnace area or the laundry area....hmmm...

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

• Jen Lambo
    Original Author
    yesterday

Sorry to hear this. Our HVAC unit is in our basement and our dryer is upstairs. They arent near each other. Our utility closet where our HVAC systme is isnt dusty at all. Its mostly the main floor thats dusty.

• Crystal Marie
    21 hours ago

I need help I think its the washer but I dunno but my clothes are shedding and they don't stop and with the sun it blows little fibers off all by themselves and with any movement it sheds. And they look very fuzzy wh3n they come out. Can anyone help me this is ruining my life and my kids life and my kids are being made fun of because stuff is always blowing off their book bags and clothes because that's how had our clothes are shedding all over my house and car. We have tried everything every tempatrure of water and detergent. In my opinion it seems like the washer is depositing things back on the clothes that it should be taking off but I could be wrong about the problem but our clothes shed and it looks like dust or a snow storm

• Crystal Marie
    20 hours ago

What's the best air purifier for fine dust and lint in the air

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    20 hours ago

Hi, Crystal,

You may have tried everything in this article, but if not, hopefully you'll find something that helps.

https://www.thespruce.com/laundry-lint-on-clothes-2146291

And, Ray, if you can get someone to help you understand the "big words," in the article you can begin to understand how lint is generated in the first place.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    8 hours ago
    last modified: 8 hours ago

Crystal I think most air purifiers are going to let you down with this kind of problem you're having.

If you (or anyone else possibly Jennifer and others maybe) has means to use this filter it's as easy as figuring the size you need to fit your current 1 inch depth filter and turn that traditional filter opening into a high efficiency filter.

To elaborately show you what a gimmick doesn't look like. Read on for additional context, because as with anything there are limitations.

This will only work if you have 4-7 inches of depth available to fit the filter + allow for air movement when your HVAC system is on. The bigger the filter you need -- allow for at least 7 inches of depth from the filter grill.

This filter is going to do a few things -- it allows for more air movement thru your HVAC return, reduce static pressure and give you addition room to catch the dust.

Depending on how much dust and dirt you see, you may need to change it more than what is recommended. Using this + incorporating other suggestions already explained previously may help some of you if your current filter return box is large enough depth wise and square to use it. (Some installations have a round duct attached to a square 1 inch return filter grille -- so you'll need to look to see if this may work for you as something to try.)

Honeywell deep depth filter sizes & other pertinent info.

This filter nor any filter doesn't filter anything with the HVAC system off. You have to run the system to catch the dust. This isn't to be rude this is to explain it so anyone reading it realize what I am talking about. Tech speak doesn't do anything for someone who isn't a tech. If this triggers you? (There is no crying in HVAC) You have thermostat with a fan setting on it, you can put it to "auto" it will only come on if there is a call for heat or cool.

Put this to fan "ON" -- your furnace blower will (should) run continuously with this setting. Check the filter every 30 days. Due to the amount of dust you have --- people, laundry, outdoor conditions, infiltrations etc... your mileage is going to vary. This might fix the problem you have or may only identify how bad your problem is. Remember as always "if you're not testing you're guessing." guesses are wrong 9 times out of 10. The one time you guess right you're a genius only to be questioned the next time you're not right.

Winter is a good time to try this. WHY? because in summer when the AC runs there's humidity removal from the structure. If you leave that blower on continuously especially for my climate in Katy, Texas this will reintroduce humidity right back into the structure because E-coils today are made much larger than a decade or so and tend to retain water for a time.

------- Static Electricity ------

no one here so far has mentioned a problem with this. When air gets dry clothes coming out of the dryer can be prone to this sort of thing -- this will cause stuff to "stick" to clothes. Once the static charge is lost? well you tell me.

Some of you have noted heavy dust in some rooms, but you always point to furniture. Take a closer look at the floor. If you have a lot of foot traffic this can kick the dust back up into the air. Remember you're a detective looking for evidence.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    6 hours ago

"If you leave that blower on continuously especially for my climate in Katy, Texas this will reintroduce humidity right back into the structure because E-coils today are made much larger than a decade or so and tend to retain water for a time."

Not exactly. The problem with re-humidification of living areas is not new and it's not a consequence of larger coils. Moisture in air will condense on a coil If the dewpoint of the air is greater than or equal to the temperature of air leaving the coil. That's how air conditioners dehumidify air. When cooling is no longer called for, the flow of refrigerant gas stops. If the fan continues to run, the temperature of the coil warms so that no condensation is taking place. Residual moisture on the coil is re-evaporated, humidifying the air. Larger coil surface areas will promote more rapid re-evaporation, which will continue to occur as long as moisture is available on the surface of the coil and the temperature of the air is above the dewpoint.