SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aka_catherinet

Digging out soil and replanting an inground 300 gallon stock tank pond

catherinet (5IN)
2 years ago

I've had an inground stocktank pond for many years. For about 13 years, it grew a beautiful lotus. It slowly died off. Then I learned (thanks TropicbreezeNT) that because it never had any inflow/outflow of cleaner water, the fertilizer that I had been using on it, had built up and had become toxic. (or maybe just became root-bound). For several years now, I just left it as is. The frogs still seem to like it, but I sure would like to start fresh again. Like I said, it's a 300 gallon in ground stock tank, filled with soil with about 8" of water on top of the soil. Any suggestions how to approach emptying this all out? What a mucky mess! I'm thinking maybe of renting a smaller backhoe. Can't imagine asking DH to dig that muck out of there. I did work like that too many times in my life, and now I'm fairly unable to do much to help. I suppose it would make sense to siphon that 8" of water out first. We would also have to dig up new soil from our big property to replace it. I suppose I could hire people to do this........ Any suggestions? I have plenty of saved seeds from the original plant, so it would be nice to keep them going. Thanks!

Comment