FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
mokotes

Living room unbalanced - ideas?

mokotes
4 months ago

lks!

I am struggling with a balance issue with this room looking at the fireplace wall. Any opinions/ideas most welcome - I have had some of the core pieces of this room for almost 15 years now and have probably gotten blind to its flaws by now :) Also, I have a lot of dark and heavy stuff there so I am really unusure about adding more furniture to this room. And its also missing some vertical 'weight' no?

Option A: Put one taller bookshelf on the wall by the fireplace on the patio door side.

Option B: Put shorter console kind of tables on both sides of the fireplace

Option C: Put a tall plant on the wall by the fireplace on the patio door side

Option D: Put two mirrors on the two sides?

Option E: DH's fav - Do NOTHING

Its not an overly formal room - no piece of furniture matches anything else :) Even the wood tones are all somewhat different.

Comments (53)

• Carrie B
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I really love your room. Your colors are lovely and that rug is to die for.

The thing that jumps out at me is that the painting over the fireplace is too big/too tall for the space. Move that painting to the left or right, and get another piece of art (or a bookshelf, plant, or a few art pieces, a wall hanging...) to balance out the other side.

Get a slightly smaller, rectangular horizontal piece for over the fireplace. (sorry, I don't have photo editing - just paper and old fashioned scissors.)

• jck910
    4 months ago

I love, love, love your rug. The sofa is beautiful, also. I am somewhat with DH in that none of your options are going to achieve what you seem to want. I think some rearranging of what you have will help. Swap the daybed with the sofa. Just leave the roll pillows on it. That will give a more open feeling. Leave the lamps and end tables where they are now. Try the slipper chair where the globe is now. Theart over the FP is too tall. It should be about the size of the fire box. If you love it move it to the wall between the FP and slider. Hang it so the center is 65" off the floor. Then style the mantle. I would add panels to the windows. Possibly in the blue/gray color from the rug. Enjoy you have a beautiful room

mokotes thanked jck910
  • Related Discussions

Living Room/Dining Room Ideas Needed!

Q

Comments (4)
    J Castellanos - Sorry, you didn't deserve that in your thread. It's just that these Houzz "pros" are supposed to know not to pop into a thread with the sole intent of advertising their own products, and that is what the aforementioned "pro" does repeatedly. It's tiresome. Now, regarding your decorating issues ... What is on the wall across from the sectional? I see you've got your TV and console set up on the one wall, but wonder if you could move to the wall opposite the sofa and then "flip" the sofa around so that it's open to the fireplace? As it is now, it doesn't look like the fireplace gets much enjoyment by those seated on the sectional. I'm thinking that if you could rearrange things a bit, you might have space for a desk behind the sofa on the wall where the TV is now. I would not move the dining set into the living room, as that will cramp the space.
    ...See More

Ideas for living room dining room combo right now

Q

Comments (1)
    what do you mean by "right now"???
    ...See More

Want a modern living room, dining room; layout ideas needed

Q

Comments (27)
    Agree with lynartist get someone knowledgeable in to look at the walls. Shifting the color used makes a huge difference. I would not have the walls smoothed or made shiny. But there are all sorts of ways to approach this and end up with a great looking home. Consider moving the functions of the two spaces. A modern dining area with a fireplace, even such an ornate one, could be spectacular and marry well with a more intimate USED space for conversations, drinks, and even just solo book readin'! Making the switch would also de-emphasize the fireplace and allow it to look its very best. A bit of a paradox but look at many old European houses and you'll see it again and again. My other preference would be to have a wood refinisher take down the shine on the floor. Congratulations and I hope you let us know how this progresses.
    ...See More

Living room/dinning room ideas

Q

Comments (2)
    Let’s see more photos. You need area rugs to define the spaces.
    ...See More
  • aktillery9
    4 months ago

I think trying to swap could work. Or you could add end tables to the sofa.

I love your space! The lighting is fantastic and your color choices are perfect. I would love to hang out in such a cozy space!

mokotes thanked aktillery9
  • Maureen
    4 months ago

Start by removing everything other than couch, settee, rug and coffee table, so you have a fresh perspective.

I’d add drapery on window and sliding door, using longer rods so that drapes rest more on wall (exchange settee with couch). You may just want a plant between drapes and fireplace to balance other side.

Add a modern lamp or two on sofa table/accessorize; don’t add your side tables.

In corner to the left of fireplace, suggest creating a reading corner; add a comfy chair, floor lamp and small table. There should be room, given table next to couch is gone.

Rethink your fireplace, as art is too high/tall and mantle isn’t balanced. Last touch is styling coffee table. Take your time and look at lots of inspiration pictures to help.

• aktillery9
    4 months ago

Your room reminds me of this one which is one of my all time favorites.

Cozy Living Room · More Info

• Jinx
    4 months ago

Beautiful room, love your style.

I’m sorry, I have no advice, but can you please say where you got the peach velvet sofa and if you’re happy with it? It looks like a Jennifer Taylor one I’ve been interested in.

Thank you. :)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 months ago

The slender slipper chair and peachy sofa are delightful and feminine. The chunky coffee table and daybed are heavy and masculine. That's your basic balance issue, but I think you can still use them together if you can visually lighten the coffee table and bed. You are wanting to add accessories to balance things, and a pair of matched credenzas flanking the fireplace with art or a pair of mirrors above them would work well. If those are matching end tables you have now, try them there just to get a feeling for what kind of balance can work. Matching lamps can help with balance too. Could the bed and table be painted? Draw colors from the rug; perhaps the creamy ivory color for the bed and the blue for the coffee table. Are you against the idea of filling the recessed top of the table with a mirror, or with glass? That will lighten the feeling. Another balance issue is the fact that all your furniture is leggy and leggy items look better if they are fully on the rug as that grounds them well. Can turning the rug the other directing help with getting all the legs of the bed and sofa on it? If you need a larger rug, can this one be used in the master? You might also layer it over a sisal rug to get the large size you need, yet retain the beauty of this rug. I would avoid buying anything on legs to flank the fireplace. I agree with others about the mantel art. Will it fit to one side of the picture window? If you want to use the window as a balance mechanism, drapery and using the lighter sofa on that side of the space might do it. Have you thought of using the slipper chair in a bedroom, placing the daybed opposite the fireplace wall where more visual weight can counter balance it,treating it as a backless settee between spaces? Then put the sofa in front of the window and add drapery to increase the volume on that side of the room? Fewer pillows please; they're too busy right now.

Elegant living room · More Info

Emily Ruddo Design · More Info

My Houzz: Sleek and Chic in the Lone Star State · More Info

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you all so much for the fresh eyes and perspective, such great ideas!!

@arcy_gw- the big wooden sofa does not have a back, you are right. We have always had it against a wall but we dont have a suitable wall in this living room. There is room to push the couches back, yes. I had it against the window but it was unbalanced with the fireplace.

So, the wooden couch is a piece of furniture we built when we bought our first house, had expensive taste and no money to buy decent furniture :) so its a sentimental piece but also its so unique, it gets remarked on by pretty much every one who sees it. making it a conversation piece lol.

We have kicked around the idea of getting another blush sofa and move the divan elsewhere.....

@Carrie B @jck910@Maureen - Omg, I never realised the art over the fireplace is too big and now that you point it out, its so clear. Those are great ideas - I can def move it to one of the sides and get something else. This is another piece that we bought as a canvas and built the frame for, many many years ago. I think one of my problems is that I am attached to some of these pieces and trying to make things work. But, I like handmade wonkiness vs. something I can go get mass market.

@jck910 - Never thought of swapping either, wow!! I think that could definitely work!! I will try that out today! So, behind the picture windows is a pretty nice yard (although its the front yard and open to the street) so I was thinking the low back settee would keep things open.

@Jinx - yes, its the same couch you are thinking of. This was a new acquisition last year - I bought it from Joss & Main for around $1200 (the price seems to fluctuate a lot)... the only problem with the couch is that the seat cushions are not perfectly square with one another. Not something you would notice much if you have pillows on the back though. It is quite comfortable. We are new cat owners and I needed something light colored to hide the cat hair and the velvet to avoid scratching :)

@Donald - I had the little table with the globe beside the orange couch but it just seemed like too many small things and removed it. Maybe I should try something a bit bigger?

The rug is from target - although I dont know if they still have it. Was less than $200 a few years ago. I liked it so much I ordered another to keep on hand when this gets dirty :)

I have a reading nook on the other side of the couch - so its become a bit too seating heavy.. here is a pic of the other side for reference. My cats photo bomb everytime! :)

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@Maureen - thats a great suggestion about a sofa table. I will try pulling the side tables behind to see how that feels. Interesting on the modern lamps suggestion - you think this room can pull off modern stuff? I have never tried adding contemporary/modern to this.

@decoenthusiaste- I didnt read through your response properly, sorry - lots of great ideas. The coffee table had a glass at one point - we bought it used from a lady who had sand in the cubbies with shells :) DH broke it during a move and we decided we like the wood look.

The leggy furniture and rug is another thing I never thought of! Gosh - I am learning sooo much here.

I dont think we will ever paint those two pieces though. I can and have painted all kinds of furniture, kitchen cabinets etc but prob not these :)

• Jinx
    4 months ago

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Very helpful. :)

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@aktillery9 - Drool! That room is just fabulous. Those book cases and the use of different furniture. I will be saving that one and I am totally honored that my room reminds you of that. Made my day!

• happyleg
    4 months ago

The imbalance feeling is coming from the Lampshades being two different colors I like the white shade the dark shade could be in a bedroom and the slipper chair could come down on facing the fireplace by the coffee table and it might feel more balanced when you fix that I like the chase at the window

• happyleg
    4 months ago

Kohl's long mirrors could be put together on a different wall or a hallway somewhere else

• aktillery9
    4 months ago

@mokotes, I am glad I made your day. Your room and that room have a similar eclectic feel and great use of textures and colors. I love the color of your walls. What is the color? It is so fresh yet warm and inviting!

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@happyleg - Another one of those things I have become blind to - the mismatched lamp shades. I can def try another lamp/lampshade there - thats easy.

I dont understand the chair part. Move the chair closer to the coffee table?

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@aktillery9 - I looked through that house on Houzz - that is truly a timeless look! I just loved everything about that! I am going to have to search for some kiddie antique chairs now :)

The paint color is Devine colors cream. Its a nice neutral - works in this north facing room with a lot of trees outside as well as the south facing dining connected to this.

• Maureen
    4 months ago

The lamps are too modern, but I wanted to give you the feel of a sofa table. You can’t go wrong with glass.

• happyleg
    4 months ago

Put the chair on the other side of the room Cher will be facing the fireplace try that position

mokotes thanked happyleg
  • lisaam
    4 months ago

I agree re: moving chair from left to right of fp. a green plant would be prett behind it.

yes to a diff. shape art piece on mantle. can the 2 african people come out from the corner a bit so the nice profiles are more evident?

you have a good eye for good looking well priced furnishings.

• everdebz
    4 months ago

Is this 'no' - try end table to right of fp, with lady art over it... 'sorry' to say that my eyes were torn between pretty rug and tall-to-ceiling art.

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks everyone!! Yesterday turned out to be too busy for me to try anything much. I moved the chair to the other side and trying a small table between the fireplace and door. I havent actually moved the big painting - thats just the magic of editing the image :)

And I added another art work to the other side of the fireplace.

My question is - what kind of art would work on the mantle? If I put another large sized painting/print, that would be a bit much, right? A rectangular mirror? If yes, does a length of 3/4 of the mantle sound right or match the actual firebox size?

Another question - the tiger art, should it move closer to the statues to relate to that or center on the wall?

• lisaam
    4 months ago

I think a new object / artwork on mantle could be almost the size of the lady who sat there previously but oriented horizontally so not as close to the ceiling.

What is the black object on the left side of mantle?

mokotes thanked lisaam
  • Carrie B
    4 months ago

The art on either side of the mantle looks to be hung a bit too high. Art should generally be hung so that mid-point is about 57" from the ground, or at about eye-hight. I hang most of my art a bit lower, since I'm shorter. I agree with Lisaam that almost the size of the lady painting, hung horizontally. But I'd get rid of (most of) the other stuff on the mantle.

Could you post a photo of the corner that is obscured by the lamp?

• doods
    4 months ago

Like your lady much better where she is now!

mokotes thanked doods
  • Rebecca Averill
    4 months ago

Your room is beautiful, and I love the colors!

I would get rid of the slipper chair, armless chairs are nobody's friend. Watch what happens when someone sits in one, they look immediately uncomfortable. I'd place a large plant in that corner.

Also suggest changing the lighting to something a bit sleeker.

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks @lisaam, @Carrie B - gives me a good starting point!!!

@BeverlyFLADeziner - that looks lovely, very symmetrical. and fresh! You are awesome - to find the art and chests and link them here.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    4 months ago

​I would replace the dark brown wood coffee table with something shiny, such as metal with a glass top. That would help brighten things up.

• everdebz
    4 months ago

Beverly furthers your wonderful 'layering' of life and decor [wonderful table!] - 'fresh' is a good word with green, etc. added.

My comment wasn't for the armless, but the one opposite with floor lamp behind. :)

• everdebz
    4 months ago

Lady art moved - maybe textured chest like Beverly's - in corner?

• happyleg
    4 months ago

You could try 3/4 the mantle of a mirror and that's taking shape there and looking better

• Amanda Smith
    4 months ago

I like your room. I think the asymmetry works in this space and makes it interesting. I like your idea of a tall plant next to the patio door.

• aktillery9
    4 months ago

My thoughts on using decorative mirrors are that they are only good if they are reflecting something you want to see and that is interesting.

I quite like your original set up. I would just add a taller tree as show in one of the first photos and consider getting two side tables for your sofa.

If you do not like your lampshades then change them. II like everything as it is.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 months ago

Adding tall drapery panels, whether they work or not increases the height of the room visually.

Excited to share that Beverly of FLADeziner won Best of Houzz Service 2022

• doods
    4 months ago

Congrats Beverly!

• niccidhg
    4 months ago

Well deserved, Beverly ! Happy for you. You help soooo many !

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@lisaam - That black object on the mantle is a little cupboard thing with metal doors holding some of my small brass sculptures. Not particularly attached to it :)

@Rebecca Averill - totally agree! Other than me, only the cats use that slipper chair. They love it though - and ocassionally battle some invisible monster sitting on the top of the chair.

- Gonna add a big plant to the fireplace wall. Eyeing the big fake banana plant from C&B.

- Change the art placement a bit. I am thinking of taking it down and leaving it leaning on the mantle and maybe layering another art thats more horizontal, see how it feels. I have also ordered a horizontal mirror and have a round mirror waiting for a bathroom update that I am going to try out. If DH cooperates with assist :(

- Loved all the greenery so I got some ferns instead of the snake plant to give a more organic look.

- Add panels def. Thanks @BeverlyFLADeziner

- @aktillery9 - I am so looking for a kids antique chair like that pic you sent me. I am obsessed with it now :) Cant wait for garage sale season!

I do love those chests that @BeverlyFLADeziner suggested - I am leaning towards it but going to wait until after I get the first level of changes done. Thansk so much for the art suggestion too! I love the botanical prints and I thjnk those might actually work in my entry way thats waiting for me to find the right accessories for the last 6 months!

I am super slow to get decor work done though -takes me a while and a few iterations to find the 'right' thing :) Hope to play with the art pieces this weekend and share pics!

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Congrats @BeverlyFLADeziner - very well deserved. You have a great eye for a space's potential!

• mokotes
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Okay, I took a few minutes now to play with the art on the mantle. What do you all think? I am going to live with it for a bit and see.

Here is a pic of whats behind the lampshade in the corner.

- Lean only the big art?

- Layer the two art?

- Big plant in the FP wall or smaller one?

- pared down the mantle decor

- Is that little plant stand trying too hard?

That FP wall could use some lighting!!

Also some pics of whats behind the orange couch, to show how the space flows. Still looking for the perfect basket to go below the one I got from Zambia.

• everdebz
    4 months ago
  • everdebz
    4 months ago

Ok, I'd bring them out - place large floor lamp, or other, to 'fill' the corner. Does the plant do well there?

• everdebz
    4 months ago

To right of a window is a basket up high on the wall - what if the 2 figurines have a way to 'stand there' and be seen better?

Or try table and figures to right of fp.

• lkloes
    4 months ago

Congratulations Beverly! Your mock-ups are terrific and your advice is always useful and kind-hearted. You really are a pro!

• aktillery9
    4 months ago

I like the arrangement of your second photo. The small chair looks much better on the left side. I like the way you have the art on the mantle.

I would do that large plant on the right and add the floor lamp on the left.

• Amanda Smith
    4 months ago

I prefer slipper chair on the left and large plant on the right. I like the layered art.

• Mo Kotes
    2 months ago

Hi folks! Thank you all for the great suggestions and ideas! I wanted to send an update on the changes I have made so far.

I liked the consoles Beverly had suggested - needing visual weight on that side was spot on, for me. I got those but the room started looking yoo heavy/ wood look, so changed up some side tables ( while DH rolls his eyes).

Also added curtain panels. what do you all think? Going in the right direction?? Or too busy now??

Questions-

1. Should I keep these embroidered panels or go with plain?

2. I keep shuffling the pieces on the consoles but not quite satisfied!

3. I still need some lighting on the FP wall but I have 4 lights here already! I thiught of sconces but really dont want any more matchiness. Both DH and I dont like matchy / too formal styles.

• happyleg
    2 months ago

Floor lamp next to fp; move over cabinet to touch the drape.

• happyleg
    2 months ago

Put a floor small up light next to plant.

• Mo Kotes
    2 months ago

Uplight! never even crossed my mind! def going to get one!