SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Info: dinosr killr asteroid hit 65 mill yrs ago; pacifc plastc junk+++

joyfulguy
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

There was an interesting story on our national radio's science program today about a number of the other issues after the asteroid collision near (now) Mexico that caused the dinosaur extinction, and others, and close to a couple of years of near darkness, about 65 million years ago.
They told also how collecting that island of mainly plastic junk between California and Hawaii can be processed partially into fuel similar to diesel that could help fund the cleanup.
There was a story how they have found a means of rejuvenating cartilage in the joints of a rabbit. Anyone here have pain when joint bone rubs on bone?
I take medication daily to help with cartilage retention.
The story is available at www.cbc.ca/quirks of Jan. 22, '22; maybe try "cbcradio".
ole joyfuelled

Comments (6)

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Did you note how that sorta huge volcanic eruption near Tonga in the Pacific last week ...

... caused substantial wave action in the Atlantic ... and the tsunami in the Pacific didn't run around South America or through the Panama Canal to cause it.

Major high level atmospheric pressures reacting on one another, transferring to the distant ocean.

That asteroid, along with making a 10 km. wide hole, caused major long lasting consequences worldwide.

o j

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

While I didn’t create the meme, I’m quite certain it was meant to be funny. The idea of huddling in a crater before the crater was formed by the meteor made that seem pretty clear to me. 😉

joyfulguy thanked foodonastump
  • joyfulguy
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Agreed. o j

ETA: but it does appear to be another message disparaging scientists ... and we have more than enough of that from the anti-vaccers ... which likely has an effect on some of the undecided fence-sitters.

ole joyful

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

The trash in the North Pacific is mostly of Asian origin and has clumps near Japan, in mid-ocean, and also near the West Coast of North America. Not just between Hawaii and California. If the Canadian piece didn't mention these at the same time, it sounds like there may have been needless bias in the reporting.

All of the oceans have so called "garbage patches" - in the North and South Atlantics, the Indian Ocean. Another in the South Pacific, south of the Equator. They all circulate with the circulation of ocean waters - clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, counterclockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

joyfulguy thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • joyfulguy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the info, Elmer. I'd thought that there was one in the north Pacific. I don't remember whether the mention of the one referred to was related to where the researchers had done their work.

It's a poor day in which one doesn't learn something.

ole joyful

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths