SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kshanahan

Mudroom and Basement egress

Kristen S.
2 years ago

We need to maximize every inch of our sqft in our house and use our back door/mudroom as the primary entrance from the yard and garage. The issue we’re having is that it also is next to a deteriorating concrete basement stairwell.

For the amount to repair stairs, would it be beneficial to build an egress on the side of the house if we ever plan to finish the basement and bring it up to code. I think we need 2 egress exits from the basement and we only have one with the existing door by the mudroom.

There are other reasons to stop using this door & stairs. It’s very low height and goes under the mudroom. The electrical panel is right there and we need to add a sub panel. If we remodel - this will probably be a mechanical / storage room.

The back entrance to the mudroom is also very narrow, and only has a single handrail with no landing, deck, or roof to help when you have groceries, keys, or dogs to wrangle. We have a senior dog now, and she really struggles on the narrow steps that are “open” on the side.”

My dilemma is the yard & patio is so small, I do not want to oversize the design. I also have no idea what the new basement door on the side would require in terms of space. As you can see from the pictures, our lots are pretty close together. I’m not sure we’re 10’ apart. I barely fit a small car down the driveway!

From my initial research, I’m seeing egress windows & stairs can be quite costly. We do have a waterproofed basement with recently upgraded oversized windows. The concrete bids are coming in quite high, which is why I’m considering the long range plan of the egress, because we want to refinish the basement in a couple years.

I need this mudroom deck figured out now because it is an every day situation! If I can expand over the stairs, it would really simplify things!

Comments (6)