SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mhm802

Kitchen Sink: ISO Unicorn

mhm802
2 years ago

Is there such a thing as a 25-inch, drop-in, right offset drain, cast iron, workstation sink?

The sink discussions here have been really helpful, especially re: stainless vs. cast iron, workstation vs non-workstation…all of your comments have clarified a lot for me and answered a lot of questions, but I still can’t quite decide. Here’s my situation for the tiny kitchen ( 6.5 wide x 10 long) in the 1920s condo we’re renovating (moving later this year):

In order to gain counter and storage space and more “breathing room” in general, I’m downsizing appliances (18 DW, 24 Range) and moving the fridge out of the room altogether. But I'm upsizing the sink from the existing 15-inch bar sink.

I'm looking for a 25-inch single bowl drop-in sink (laminate counter), with preference for right rear drain (more storage space under sink for storage). Open to stainless steel, though I prefer cast iron (currently have a 3-bowl Kohler installed 40+ years ago and it is a workhorse). I will have a 33 inch sink base, the largest cabinet that fits the available space along the short wall which it abuts. DW will be to the left of the sink. Not planning a garbage disposal.

In my current home, my kitchen practices are very much a modified work-station style: I prep with a colander in the sink and a cutting board on the counter next to it. When not in use, both are put away. We have a DW but I do a lot of handwashing, and for that I use a collapsible drain basket on top of a dishtowel on the counter and stow it afterwards. Sometimes air-dry, sometimes towel dry. So I think I would adapt easily to a purpose-built workstation sink. I’ve read some comments here that you need a gigantic sink to make them worthwhile, but I probably would continue simply to use the accessories when I needed them and store them otherwise (I will have the storage space). I think the benefit of a workstation sink for me would be the accessories customized to the sink, not after-market adaptations.

Based on my research so far, the current frontrunners are: Kohler Riverby (white cast iron) OR Kraus Kore Workstation (stainless steel). Both 25 inch, similar bowl size/volume, both right rear offset drain, both have bottom grids. I love the look and material of the Kohler, but it’s not a workstation. So I’d be using it pretty much the same as in my current kitchen, but with less counter space. I like the functionality of the Kraus, but I don’t love stainless steel, and I worry that its styling is a little too angular/contemporary for my more traditional taste.

If the Kohler offered the Kraus's workstation features, I would be very happy. But as things are, I'm undecided...

If you’ve read this far, I’d appreciate any thoughts and comments. Thanks!

Comment (1)