SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_27869909

Why do you forget about the disabled?

Shelly Quick
2 years ago

No 2 people who are disabled are the same, but there are some things that are universally used by people with disablilities.

One thing that really bothers me is when you talk about the handheld shower heads I hear you say to use them to help clean your shower or tub. You completely forget that they are used as the shower head for most people with a disability who can't stand.

Also, how long has it been since you did an article about designing a space for a person who can't wheel themselves. They are so disabled they have caregivers giving them showers & brushing their teeth & othe such things. The vanity in such cases isn't for the women to use to put on make-up, but it's used to wheel the person up to vanity so they can do things like shave, brush their teeth, comb their hair etc. & it doesn't have to look like a space for a wheelchair user.

People with disabilities want nice good looking homes just like able bodied people. It's a shame that to make a bathroom or kitchen useful for someone in a wheelchair that you lose all design & leave style behind.

I take care of my husband & I'm hear to tell you that you can make things look good but unfortunatley it cost's because you have to have peices custom made or buy only high end things then repurpose them to work for people with disabilities.

With the baby boomers aging & becoming disabled it's a really hot topic right now. I suggest you actually talk with people who are disabled or care for a loved one in their home before making suggestions. I hate when people who don't actually use things tell others how they need to use it.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH