SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Can this sofa be "Modernized" beyond new fabric?

Mittens Cat
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Debating whether to reupholster our old sofa. It was custom made in 1998 by an interior designer for $3,000 (which kind of shocks me now as we are pretty thrifty!). The cushions are partly feather filled and it has a solid wood frame. It's the only sofa we've had in 23 years, so it's held up pretty well I think.

I know most new sofas these days are cheaply made, so I'd like to have it reupholstered. Just wondering how much, if anything, can be done to give it a slightly more modern look, i.e. crisper lines, maybe slightly lower profile...?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (58)

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Your sofa is classic and very popular. You need new firmer seat cushions. I would not move to one cushion. Your guests will appreciate not having someone 'fall' into them when they sit if each has their own cushion.

Mittens Cat thanked arcy_gw
  • Longbranchstitch
    2 years ago

We have a similar shaped sofa. Ours is 51 years old, has been reupholstered four times now and it will outlast us. Please take yours to a great upholstery shop and let them work their magic.

Mittens Cat thanked Longbranchstitch
  • Related Discussions

Can a camelback sofa ever look modern?

Q

Comments (5)
    Would also love to see picture, or at least description, but yes, I think probably if you put some neutral solid no-nonsense fabric on it, it could blend in, depending on what the other furniture is of course and how contemporary. With all the things I've been reading on gardenweb about most new furniture being made in China, of crummy quality, and my own recent experiences trying to find decent new furniture -- I believe we should hang on to our quality-built old furniture and use it if at all possible.
    ...See More

Fabric issue, new sofa

Q

Comments (13)
    Years ago I bought a Lazy Boy sofa and there wasn't enough arm padding. After awhile you could see the contours of the frame. Your sofa looks a lot like my Ethan Allen Bennett sofa that I've had for close to fifteen years. It's still in great shape and very comfy. The seat is more firm than springy. I usually lie on it, not sit. I only use it for naps and evening TV. Does he like it when he lies down? I think that's what's to be expected from the nap and the solid color of the fabric. It wouldn't bother me.
    ...See More

Need help choosing sofa fabric in a new addition!

Q

Comments (8)
    BeverlyFLADeziner Thank you!!! The inspiration rooms you posted are great! I like them better than mine. The last picture is my favorite. I like the 4th one too. I love, love the Atlanta Home creamy room, with the slip covers. But I don't know if cream walls will work with the kitchen. Because of the way the family room ties into the kitchen, and the ceiling beam. See the 2 bottom pictures of our space. Do you just end the cream at the corner? Also, I'm not sure where to find a durable comfortable slip covered sectional. Ugg. My floor plan is below. I may just have one chair, the one near the window, because it seems tight. The sectionals I'm looking at will just fit. But my end tables can't be wider than 18 inches, because of breakfast bar chairs. I chose this sectional layout because I'm not sure I want to block the picture window, and because we like to put our feet up. What do you think of the layout? The room's main function is TV, but it is the only living room. We also like the rooms I included below; just to show you our style. I need to narrow down to one inspiration room, I know.
    ...See More

Diversion decorating - help me choose new slipcover fabric for sofa

Q

Comments (10)
    I'll have to check and see if Sunbrella is an option with Lee. I'm not sure I have the energy to do COM in a pandemic. Altho, maybe the shop I'm ordering from could find it for me. The cats have scratched it to shreds. They were pretty good for the first year or two and then suddenly discovered it. I've been told if I have lots of tall scratching posts, they will leave the sofa alone. They save their vomiting for the rugs. Why cats can't vomit on a hard surface is beyond me. sheeisback, we keep the black cover on the cushions, otherwise I think it would be stained awfully. My SIL had a set of white leather furniture and the seats were stained dramatically blue from their jeans. Lauren has some good advice but it basically comes down to some fabrics might be okay, but the only sure thing is poly and while cats might not scratch it, their hair will stick to it like glue. Her words sure did ring true, though. This was my favourite part: Those chairs couldn’t have been more appealing to my Peaches if they were covered in catnip and drenched in tuna water. It is good to know others think the light linen is timeless. I noticed in the article linked, she had light linen in an older pic and it didn't look dated. Kswl, so I'm not the only one? That is some comfort. My DH had one aunt who somehow managed to keep up with the times well into her 80s. My teenage daughters would have happily worn her outfits. But she's definitely the exception.
    ...See More
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone! @tlynn1960, you are so right! Thanks for mentioning that because I've had a hard time finding the one inspo pic that I can show to upholstery people. Yup, Room and Board's Dean sofa is definitely the style we're looking for!! (Is it comfy? My DH wants straighter lines but still cozy. Not sure if that's possible?)

• Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Longbranchstitch, wowza!!!!! I would love to see photos of all four versions!

• Longbranchstitch
    2 years ago

I’ll try to find pictures - first one was back in the early 70’s so prepare yourself for green and gold!

• judrand05
    2 years ago

Whatever you do, do not buy a completely new sofa. You will be appalled at the low quality you will get for $3-4000 now. Why not freshen up the seat cushions by getting them re-stuffed, so they're tighter and more modern-looking. And the modern look will mainly come in your choice of color and type of fabric. If you do not have younger children and pets, a crisp bright white would be modern; gray heavy cotton would look contemporary; and very casual fabrics like canvas, cotton, corduroy, look modern. There are a million to choose from so just use your other furnishings to select the right one.

Mittens Cat thanked judrand05
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@judrand05, thanks, we are full steam ahead on reupholstery at this point! And yes! a cushion refresh will be part of that. Now to decide on fabric...yikes....SO many choices. We do have one ancient cat but no kids other than our very careful young adult child. Our walls and 12-foot fireplace are a bright white (Chantilly Lace). Fireplace hearth is a dark gray limestone. Furniture color ranges from chocolate brown to medium walnut.

• judrand05
    2 years ago

Your present furniture colors, chocolate brown, and medium walnut are traditional rather than modern. What about upholstery sofa fabric that is crisp with brown and white designs, like geometrics or triangle, square, and rectangle shapes, rather than a more traditional floral or print design. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwirxriWtr_1AhWAFdQBHS2kAxcYABBeGgJvYQ&sig=AOD64_1cTizBc7eGDqnawAzGI51ADLPiMQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwikz7GWtr_1AhX0lGoFHVANDDsQ1CkIgwwoAA&adurl=

• tlynn1960
    2 years ago

In reply to your question about the comfort level of my R&B Dean sofa: Yes, comfortable for sitting or laying down with a lumbar pillow against the arm. Cushions are firm rather than comfy-cozy, but I previously had a squishy sofa (three seat cushions and three loose back cushions that were forever scooting out of place which drove me nuts) so I very much wanted firm/no fuss cushions when I got the Dean sofa. I'm two hours from the nearest R&B and I did see and sit on the sofa and Andre chairs at the time. In late 2020, I got the Jennings metal bed and just ordered it sight unseen since it wasn't available to see in that store anyway.

I sit most of the time in one Andre chair, bought at the same time as the sofa. I ordered a new seat cushion insert from R&B when I ordered the bed since my cushion looked more compressed than the one in the other Andre chair that no one sits in.

I'd think it's possible for your upholsterer to beef up your cushions if your husband wants your cushions to be firmer.

Mittens Cat thanked tlynn1960
  • Longbranchstitch
    2 years ago

Mittens cat - this is the latest iteration. It’s more blue than the picture shows. Excuse the area rug - we have a new one ordered but it hasn’t arrived yet. I’ll look for pictures from when we purchased it to now. The arms were rebuilt, the original sofa had a skirt, as did the third update. Now it’s back to exposed feet. We’ve had the cushions rebuilt a couple of times…this thing just keeps on chugging! 51 years and still going strong.

• Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So, I got the disappointing news from one highly recommended reupholstery company that there is no real way to turn our sofa into a modern beauty like the Room and Board "Dean" sofa. That's because ours does not have a frame that would support a back like the Dean. Meaning I guess we're going to just go with the firmest foam to replicate that look...I think? Hoping the reupholstery guy will pay our sofa a visit this weekend.

• Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Longbrancstitch that’s amazing!! 💪🏼

• shwshw
    2 years ago

Great post. I have a 25 year old Pearson sofa. You helped finalize my decision to have mine reupholstered. I live in the Boston area. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good upholsterer? Or an you tell me how you pick one. Thanks. Good luck Mittens Cat. P,ease post pics when you are done.

Mittens Cat thanked shwshw
  • slab
    2 years ago

The couch has great arms. I would darken the feet and have an upholsterer give you piped and more squared off seats. Really nice couch!

Mittens Cat thanked slab
  • Helen
    2 years ago

In my experience there is really no cost savings in having a sofa or chair reupholstered unless there is some very unusual visible frame. Why not just have your upholsterer do a custom piece in exactly the style you now want?

The only thing that will be used again is the internal wood frame which is not that expensive and doesn't have much to do with the end result except of course you want a solid well made frame to start with - that is critical of course.

I recently redecorated and my upholstered furniture was all done custom by an upholsterer recommended by my designer. I was able to get the exact style, size, height, width and "feel" of each piece. You can specify every aspect of the construction including springs (hand tied); type of filling for cushions and back. My chair in the bedroom was literally designed exactly for my body so that my legs don't dangle when i sit in it and it isn't so low that it is an issue to rise up from it - it is literally the Mama Bear chair LOL.

I did have one arm chair and two occasional pieces reupholstered because the beauty of the design was in the visible wood frame but the sofa, chaise and arm chair were new. It wasn't cheap to have this done and I certainly could have gotten new chairs for less than redoing the old ones so it would have made no sense except that their visible decoratie wood frames made them irreplaceable.

Of course the cost is far far less than comparable quality upholstered furniture. I just ordered two occasional chairs to finish my living room. Originally I was going to go with a Baker style in a COM that I liked but the cost for one chair was in excess of $7500 - this was a fairly basic chair but the cost of good furniture has gone through the roof in the past year. So I am having the "same" chair done by the same local upholsterer for about half the cost

Mittens Cat thanked Helen
  • Paula Da Cruz Griffin
    2 years ago

How about skirting it in linen for a modern look. Can do whit or ecru with bolster cushions on the side. Look up on Gervasoni1882.com for inspiration. Look is clean, modern and easy to maintain.

Mittens Cat thanked Paula Da Cruz Griffin
  • jck910
    2 years ago

@shwshw my sister using this upholsterer in Wilmington MA not far from Boston

Classic Upholstery (classic-upholstery.com)

• terrib962
    2 years ago

The shape is fine and you need the arms on the ends to lean against. I would caution you on picking out fabric and be sure it does not have fire-retardants, preservatives, scotch-guarding, etc. especially if you have pets or kids - you do not want anyone to be breathing toxins. Organic cotton untreated fabric would be the way to go if possible - and make it removable slip cover to be able to wash in washer. Personally I have no upholstered furniture and for a sofa have a wood frame twin bed frame, a natural mattress and pillows (at back and sides) and natural cotton (machine washable) coverings. It all can be washed and changed out and is toxin-free. I can easily redecorate and clean at the same time - and be toxin-free.

• terrib962
    2 years ago

And - with the nice wood floors in the brown tones, please do not get a grey or black fabric and clash horribly. Today it seems many want to try to look ugly (and they succeed). Stay in the warm colors that blend with beige, or cover in an off-white - anything but grey or blue!

• Suzanne Stagg
    2 years ago

If you have a good sofa (obviously you do), always have it reupholstered. A good upholsturer can make suggestions and can always retweet the frame. My mother bought a classic sofa in the late 40's, red brocade and fringe. That sofa has been updated so many times over the decades and is still in great shape. It's gone from fringe, skirted, to exposed legs and fabric to match the times. It will soon be going back to the upholstery shop for probabably it's 5th reupholstery and will now be in the master suite.

• Sarah
    2 years ago

@shwshw- Copley Upholstery in West Roxbury is FANTASTIC. They redid our Womb Chair perfectly so I’d absolutely trust them with a Pearson sofa. fYI they handle much of the classic modern upholstery for Harvard. Prices are very reasonable too!

• grazius
    2 years ago

That's a great sofa! It would look a bit better if you got new foam for the cushions to tighten up the look. Also, cotton velvet fabric in a brilliant or modern color would do a lot to make it look more modern.

• Janice jones
    2 years ago

I purchased the Finnala sofa from Ikea. Before there is an onslaught of people criticizing Ikea and my sofa, let me tell you what I know firsthand. i have replaced my $6,000 sofa that would have cost over $3,000 to re-upholster.

This sofa is AMAZING and so well built. It has a spring base and there are 6 different slipcovers for this sofa so you can wash them as well as change the colors anytime you want. You just pop them into your washing machine instead of having them professionally cleaned. I have grandkids of all ages and dogs. Try as they all might, not one of them can destroy, stain or otherwise hurt this awesome sofa. The covers have the feel of an expensive suit and are polyester so they don't hold onto stains. This collection also allows you to add onto the sofa to include a chaise, make it U shaped, or add a sofa bed. Mine is the Gunnared Beige fabric. Depending on the lighting, it looks like a very light gray and sometimes like a very light beige. I bought the dark blue covers as well in case I want to change it up.

It looks upholstered and not like an unmade bed as most slipcovered pieces do. Pottery Barn has a look-alike for over $3,000. The covers for this sofa have a tiny bit of stretch to them so that they fit like a glove. There is no wrinkling and no hint that it's slipcovered. The seats are firm and this sofa is super comfortable. I am thrilled with my $799.00 purchase and its 10 yr warranty. I'm thinking about adding a chaise to it.

You can pay to have it assembled, but I did it myself. It was so easy to do. What a wonderful and economic purchase this was.

• molldoll2
    2 years ago

I too was in the same situation. I have a very expensive well made sofa that is 30 years old. I decided to reupholster. I knew I probably wouldn't find a new sofa I would like so went shopping for new fabric. It was in perfect condition but I had the skirt taken off and some of the round curve on the arms reduced. 15 years later I am still very happy with it.

• Donna Collins
    2 years ago

If your sofa is still in good shape, reupholstering makes a lot of sense. It will not save you a lot of money and could even cost more than a new, so-so quality sofa. However, it gives you the opportunity to find a really good, durable fabric. So many new sofas, even from high-end stores, offer only fabrics that won't hold up over time. I purchased a quality sofa with the "premium" fabric that was supposed to hold up to people and pets... five years later and I'm considering having it reupholstered because the fabric has pilled so badly. At around the same time, I had some vintage 1960s chairs reupholstered in a Knoll fabric that wears like iron. The fabric was so expensive, but it looks great and I have confidence it will continue to look good for years to come.

As far as modernizing the frame goes, you may want to consider less blocky feet, which should be an easy change, and perhaps narrowing the arms a little.

• shwshw
    2 years ago

Thank you jck910 and Sarah! Much appreciated.

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Another idea for modernizing: switch from 3 seat and back cushions to 2. Maybe even 1 long back cushion, 2 seat cushions. No one ever sits on the middle cushion. But one long seat cushion will get an uncomfortable sag in the middle, as another poster mentioned.

• aniluap2
    2 years ago

The cost to reupholster combined with the cost of a good quality fabric, changing the height and fresh pillow fills may not be worth it and may be close to the cost of a good quality sofa. You should compare the costs first and it will allow you to make a more informed decision. I think the sofa seems to have withstood the test of time but it seems like you are looking for a fresh look. It has lasted a long time because it is a good quality piece but unless it is more comfortable than any thing elseyou are considering, I would move on.

• lynartist
    2 years ago

Mittens, your sofa is certainly worth reupholstering. I think it is a timeless shape and new seat cushions will make a huge difference! Shwshw, I sold Pearson for years and I would certainly reupholster your sofa! Such great quality is so hard to find today and costs$$$$!

Mittens Cat thanked lynartist
  • Cris
    2 years ago

Change the legs to a taller, modern shape. This will instantly change the look.

Mittens Cat thanked Cris
  • Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

The advantage of reupholstering is that you choose the fabric--your can then be sure that the color is correct and that the wearability is what you want.

Mittens Cat thanked Yvonne Martin
  • Mittens Cat thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

23 years... not saying you'll downsize after empty nest. yikes, 'sorry' but if you keep this long sofa for a few more, any thought to smaller later?

Mittens Cat thanked everdebz
  • Cris
    2 years ago

I'm sorry. I thought I read that you are going to reupholster but wanted to know what you could do in addition to reupholstering. So yes reupholster and change the legs to taller, modern legs.

Mittens Cat thanked Cris
  • kandamom
    2 years ago

If you want to switch up the cushion style a bit, you could do Box English Seams on the seats and backs. There are no welts, just seams, with stitching along both sides of the seam. There is also a Knife Edge Welted cushion, where one welt goes around the cushion in the center, and the fabric on the corner of the cushion is folded in a bit. I have both these cushion styles in my home and I think they have a more casual look than the Box Welted cushion.

Mittens Cat thanked kandamom
  • Carolyn Danese
    2 years ago

KEEP as is. Remove cushion covers & wash them. If they don't have zippers, rip them open & baste them back together. Add extra fill if needed & u haven't flipped them 100 times. Use the back of 1 pillow to make very tight slip covers for the end of the arms & patch in with a similar piece of material. Paint the legs black or sand & refinish.

Mittens Cat thanked Carolyn Danese
  • Mickey
    2 years ago

Absolutely loving all of these ideas and comments! I, too, have a sofa with feather-filled back cushions that’s aged. How can I know if its quality is good enough to keep? Mine is about 9 years old, from Room and Board. Thank you everyone.

• Ashley Laird
    2 years ago

Have you considered leaving it as is and adding some modern throw pillows? You could also pair it with some modern arm chairs. Tonic living has really gorgeous throw pillows: https://www.tonicliving.ca/collections/all-pillows. They will also provide free design advice for pillow combinations that would look good with your existing furniture.

Mittens Cat thanked Ashley Laird
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Carolyn Danese, wow--such a radical idea...I like it! :) Mostly because one thing I didn't mention is I am pretty chemically sensitive so new furniture (new foam cushions, fabric, glue, whatever) concerns me quite a bit. But there are two cat-damaged areas (photos below) so I'm not sure what to do about that?

Also, embarrassed to admit: I think we've only flipped these cushions maybe 10 times in 23 years, and that was probably due to moving! So I guess we could start doing that...ha. I also don't think it's been professionally cleaned more than twice. I presume it's a giant dust mite factory now. Eeek!

Bottom line, I'd love to keep as is and save $$, but not sure we want to go another 20 years with these raggedy cat-clawed parts:

That oh so stylish piece of adhesive plastic cured our cat of her sofa scratching habit, but it remains on there because when I started peeling it off, the fabric started tearing. EDIT: the fabric wasn't tearing, exactly but I realized I might as well leave it on since we were going to be reupholstering...some day! :-D

• pink_peony
    2 years ago

One thing to strongly consider if youre thinking about purchasing new is the lead time for a decent quality sofa. youre looking at 28-30 weeks. your striaght lines are certainly clean and can be modern or traditional. if you would like to give it a sleeker look move it from a 3 cushion to a two cushion. axe the welting on the cushions and have then do a flat stitch. take the legs to either black or a bleached wood or change them to a clear lucite depending on fabric and atyle youre going for.

Mittens Cat thanked pink_peony
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

Its interesting but our cat Never scratched the furniture, until I took delivery of two newly upholstered vintage womb chairs, and she went crazy on them. Luckily, it is felted wool fabric and I could shave them back to normal more or less. But it was the plastic that they were covered in that she attacked actually and the wool underneath was collateral damage.

• Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@pink_peony, thanks! I do like the idea of going to two longer cushions. Also, I found "welting" pretty quickly via google, but not super sure what a cushion with flat seam would look like. Can you possibly give an example? Thanks.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

This is a flat French seam, which I think is the suggestion:

Mittens Cat thanked palimpsest
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ah, yes! Thank you. Looks great! (Hope it holds up to cats! Though I've been thinking maybe it makes sense to have the arms and sides triple reinforced with extra layers of fabric...just in case?)

• kandamom
    2 years ago

I'll try to attach a photo of our sofa with Box English Seams, and welting only on the front of the arms. I'm guessing that welting adds to the cost of re-upholstery.

Mittens Cat thanked kandamom
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @kandamom, that helps! I guess we no longer want welting (I thought it was called piping), partly because once the cushions start to lose their shape, those welting lines become uneven and make it look all the more crumpled. I like that seam though!

• User
    2 years ago

I love the shape. the only thing that looks dated is the fabric piping and angled feet. it could be a very easy fix. couch feet are usually really easy to remove.

if you're the tiniest bit comfortable with basic woodworking, either of these styles could be a very easy DIY project. or would be a very simple job to hire out.

this one below would be easier to DIY. if you did, I suggest a light or medium color wood, not black.

Mittens Cat thanked User
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @User! I appreciate your input as always! Well, I am slightly experienced in woodworking, but that would harken back to middle school when I made skateboards and skimboards in Wood Shop (took it twice for fun!). So I'll leave sofa feet to the pros, lol. Otherwise, I love that white sofa. Makes me second guess my go-to gray!

My latest bids from two businesses are about the same, but here's the breakdown from one if anyone's interested:

To reupholster just the fabric, $850 for labor plus price of material (18-20 yards).

To replace foam for seat and back cushions, add $434.

So total do do the whole reupholster would be $1284 plus fabric cost, plus new feet.

I'm told Dorell fabrics is a good supplier. Hope that's true. There's a location about 30 mins from us.

• pink_peony
    2 years ago

English flat seam on left and french flat seam on right

Mittens Cat thanked pink_peony
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Such an interesting post. Our couch, bought from Storehouse as our first ”real” furniture about 18 years ago, has a non-removable cushioned back and two seats. I love it and have no plans to buy a new one considering how incredibly comfortable it is and how well it has held up. I explored reupholstering it a few years ago and it was quoted at ~1/2 the cost of a new, decent couch (or at least what i would have paid for a new couch at the time).

Too much of the ”throw away” attitude toward such things. I’ll be reupholstering when my snack-loving son goes to college. 😜

Please post pictures when it’s done!

Mittens Cat thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)