SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dominic_vautier75

Dishwasher problem fixed

dominic vautier
2 years ago

I got a new dishwasher last year and it has worked well. But today I got some water on the floor and an overfill error light. I thought that would be an easy fix since I’m such a handyman but these new machines do not have floats or float switches to detect water level. The modern systems instead incorporate a current sensor in the wash pump circuit which monitors the volume of water. When the motor current achieves a certain resistance the pump motor shuts off and the cycle continues. This sounds all well and good but just how to fix it when it occasionally fails.

The first thing to do is totally clean out the dishwasher filter. Then dry out the overflow tray under the machine. It has a sensor. Turn the water and power off to the machine for a few minutes then back on. Cancel the cycle. You may need to do this several times. If you get it canceled, you’re good. Run a short load. If it works your system is properly reset, that is, until the next time. So why did the geniuses decide to design in a system that works most of the time instead of the old float system that works all of the time?

Comments (7)