SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sulan_dun54

Where to locate electrical outlets on outdoor BBQ island

Sulan Dun
2 years ago

Hi I'm getting a ten foot long outdoor island (a 10' x 30" rectangle) with a gas grill in the center. Nothing else in it aside from the usual double doors under the grill to access the gas so I can make it look nicer on the front and have a lot of countertop space for cooking or laying out takeout food. Is there a standard place or way to put electrical outlets on an outdoor island?

The island is along the edge of a concrete patio with a rocky area for drainage behind it. I was thinking about putting two electrical outlets on the island in case I wanted appliances on the counter, an appliance beside the island (ex. temporarily relocating my under desk mini fridge for a rare large party), and for future proofing (ex. get a grill one day that requires electricity like say a pellet grill). I don't want the popup countertop outlets because it's pretty uninterrupted granite and there's no cover so rain, spills, etc would go right into the outlet.

The outdoor outlets I've seen looks pretty hideous, so I was thinking about putting them on the back side of the island close to each of the ends so I can can just reach around from the concrete patio and plug things in. That way all the cords hang behind out of sight and are far away from the grill in the center. Is there a better or standard way to do it?

Comments (5)